what kind of mileage do you get? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have an 85 fj60 that has 146k and i am getting approx 6-8 mpg. Horrid i know....is that average for a 60, i just assume it is, but if not i would like to fix it:confused:

i get 14-16 in town 8760 desmogged header and holley carb. i also have a light foot. alot depends on how you drive them.

My numbers added up to 19.8 mpg once (highway), but 15-16 is more typical. I don't keep track in the city. That's in a 62.

I'm not very good at math, but what is the formula to figure mileage? How many gallons does the stock FJ60 tank takes?:bang:

Fill your tank, note the mileage. Fill up next time and subtract old miles from new milage giving you miles driven. Divide that by the number of gallons and you have mpg.

I get 16mpg on the highway with my 62 and 5 speed.

show-off...

;) Yeah. the ol'5spd does wonders, doesn't it! Hello Mr. Frontrange...can't wait to see the 5spd in there, in person!

bac on track:
if you are truly getting that low mileage, and this truck is new to you or you're getting a renewed obsession.... a good search here on getting through all the basic, easy stuff is in order. you can do most of this yourself with a couple 10mm, 12mmm and 14mm wrenches. (ok, that's over simplified, but you get it)

Stuff that comes to mind would be a solid tune up first (replace/gap plugs, wires, dist cap/rotor, adjust timing and valves), change oil, replace pcv valve, clean the carb with spray cleaner, replace air filter, replace fuel filter, check all the miles of vac lines in and around the carb and emissions stuff, and replace the old cracked ones (the tricky part is verifying they are going to the correct spots). I'd also run a bottle of Heet or something similar through the gas tank in case.

then...check your mileage again.

OH wait...you do have a 2F, right?

How many miles are you going between fill ups. 6 mpg is only going to get you around 100 to 120 miles depending on how far you go towards empty. That not very far

Fill your tank, note the mileage. Fill up next time and subtract old miles from new milage giving you miles driven. Divide that by the number of gallons and you have mpg.

You also need to correct for any differences in tire size and/or differential gear changes. The speedometer/odometer measures speed/distance at the transfer case and it doesn't know if you've put on larger tires, etc. If you have installed larger than stock tires, then you actually drove more miles than what the odometer accounts for. To adjust for a larger tire, divide the new tire diameter by the stock tire diameter and multiply this by the number of miles the odometer says you drove on the tank of gas.

I get about 12 around town and 14 or 15 on the highway...

i get about 180 miles out of a $60 fill up. From what people are saying i should be getting 350-390 from a tank. In short valve job and full tune up...hell add on a header and a webber carb and it will pay for it's self in less than a month. Considering thats about 700 dollars worth of work im getting hosed by the man:censor:

Stock tire was 235/75/15.

I'm averaging aroung 12-13 in town and 14-15 highway as well.

How much money you put in your tank has nothing to do with the mileage.
If gas in Tucson is $3.80 a gallon, $60.00 would be 15.7 gallons. Divide that into 180 miles, and you're getting 11.4 miles per gallon.

If your tires are larger than stock, it's better than that.

The only people getting 390 miles to a tank have a 5 speed, or diesel, or they are driving 55 mph down hill.

depending on what kind of driving i'm doing, i get anywhere between 12-15 mpg. i'm running stock sized tires as well.

somewhere on this board, somebody posted an original sales window sticker ( don't remember what year fj60 but it was for a fj60,) that listed the EPA city mileage as 10mpg! ouch!

It's been a long time since i have filled it up....Mabey i have a smaller than stock tank...now im confused i'll have to redo my math. When i first got it 1.5 years ago i did the estimate 5-6 times to get an average. I know my math was not off but i'll rework it

23.8 gallons is the tank size but most of the trucks hit the empty mark around 18 gallons. I have run mine way past the empty mark and was only able to put in 21 gallons. If you put in 18 gallons and go 180 miles that 10 mpg. The point being is that there is a large gap in how much gas each LC uses on a fill up so you really need to get the correct numbers. Fill you truck up. reset the trip odo. drive it untill you use at least 1/2 the tank if not more. Fill it up and divide the miles you went by the gallons you put in. I can usually go 250 miles on a fill up which is usually around 17 gallons. Thats 14.7 mpg. I am also running 33 inch tires which equates to about 10% off on my odo so add in 25 miles and I am at 275 miles or around 16.1 mpg. Even more fun if I run the Toybox in low I can get about 25 miles out of a tank which is around 1.5 mpg but man is it a fun 1.5 mpg

x2 on 250 miles/fill.

I habitually check mpgs when I fill, have got as low as 9mpg (when pulling an 8x8 shed) and as good as 15. Lately she's getting 13, and I'm running 31's.

i get about 180 miles out of a $60 fill up. From what people are saying i should be getting 350-390 from a tank. In short valve job and full tune up...hell add on a header and a webber carb and it will pay for it's self in less than a month. Considering thats about 700 dollars worth of work im getting hosed by the man:censor:

That's what I did when I had a 2F. Desmog, header and a Weber. it's SOOOO clean! you will lose like 30 pounds of garbage, be able to see the motor and identify all the components and it will run much stronger than stock. Webers don't mind rough roads, crazy angles or extremes in tempurature, although I reccomend a fluid heat riser if you live where its cold. I highly reccomend it if you want to keep the 2F. Check your distributor's vacuume advance unit. They will fail in time. Just pull the hose off and see if it holds vacuume. What's supposed to provide ignition advance turns into a worthless vacuume leak.

ETHANOL.... cost me 2 miles to gallon when everybody started using it in Oregon (10%). Went from 10-12 in town to 8-10. My rig is up-to-date on all systems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom