What Kind of Caterpillar Is This? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
@pappy do you happen to know what kind of caterpillar this is? I was driving up the backside of Sandia Mountain and came across this little guy at one of the stops I made. I’ve never seen this species of caterpillar before. Do you happen to know what kind of butterfly or moth it turns into?

A9A5ECC7-2569-4DC6-9459-62AE56CAC594.jpeg

This is the vegetation it was on.
3DB0A326-68D3-4BBD-B277-7A0C2CD95DC2.jpeg

EB3EBA46-8E5B-4274-AFAC-837FEE63F139.png

7332783C-EA9F-41E8-A3D8-29148693C004.png

Whoa!

I have no idea, but I think Marc is on the right track. Thanks Marc. The plant is yellow sweet clover, an invasive weed.

If you want cross post this over in Chat to Godwin, what is it?. Goodwin is a herpetologist, but like most herp people I know is also a rather good naturalist. There are some other knowledgeable folks over there too. When you have time start at the beginning. The thread is a hoot.

I have no idea, but I think Marc is on the right track. Thanks Marc. The plant is yellow sweet clover, an invasive weed.

If you want cross post this over in Chat to Godwin, what is it?. Goodwin is a herpetologist, but like most herp people I know is also a rather good naturalist. There are some other knowledgeable folks over there too. When you have time start at the beginning. The thread is a hoot.

Ok, thanks!

Found one of those last year on some roses. Not sure what moth they make, but I am sure you don't want to touch them. They will sting the hell outta you.

Found one of those last year on some roses. Not sure what moth they make, but I am sure you don't want to touch them. They will sting the hell outta you.

I’m glad I resisted! I love the black fuzzy caterpillars and hold them all the time, but something about this one made me hesitate.

Are you speaking from experience?

That must have been one hell of a surprise lol. Typically bright colored organisms are poisonous...for future reference ;)

It's kind of like stinging nettle. Or getting sea lice caught in your shorts.

Yeah, I know. Tried to move it to get a picture and it ended up falling on the back of my hand. Had to squish him after that.

Must have been the year before last. I can't find a picture on this phone.

It's kind of like stinging nettle. Or getting sea lice caught in your shorts.

Yeah, I know. Tried to move it to get a picture and it ended up falling on the back of my hand. Had to squish him after that.

Must have been the year before last. I can't find a picture on this phone.

Stinging nettle is no joke, at least not to me. It’s super painful. Poor lil guy died for his crimes haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom