What is this part and do I need it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was reinstalling my heater today and worry that I have messed up my ignition. After I put it back in, a fuse was blown. That was probably because my heater box is so close the fuse box that I bumped it with the metal brace on the heater. I replaced the fuse and that circuit seems fine now but when I tried to start, I got no spark to the distributor. It cranks just fine.

I looked at this part on the firewall:
IMG_1799.jpeg

And wondered if that was where the problem lay. After switching things up, I found that if I just connect the blue and green wires, it starts and runs just fine. Obviously, this part has a purpose but I don't know what it is. I have a pertronix ignitor and coil. I'm thinking this ceramic block is some sort of resistor to protect the points from too much voltage but is unnecessary now that I have removed the points. Can I run without this part now or am I asking for trouble?

I have had mine removed for years, not sure if it has caused any problems but I did replace a coil once. I have a pertronix too.

Hey There
The Ballast resistor is for letting the full 12 volts for start up and as the electricity goes through the resister it heats it up and lowers the voltage that goes across the points after you get the engine warmed up. You can remove it however it will let the 12 volts run continuously and it has a tendency to burn up the points sooner.

Since the OP says he has both a Pertronix ignition unit and coil, he can safely put the two wires together and eliminate the ballast resistor. (Assuming the Petronix coil is rated for the full 12 volts.)

remove it and look in the back and see if the coil is broke if it is replace it or get a coil that requires no resistor i believe it reduces the voltage to 7.5 volts .

If you take an Ohmmeter across the two terminals, you can find out of the ballast resistor is good, or if it is trash.

It shoiuld read close to a short (near 1 ohm). If it is bad, it should read "OPEN" (infinity).

If it is good - don't throw it away....

Rockjy

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll pull it a look at it tonight. Even with the pertronix coil, I think I'll still run it just to not risk burning the coil out. They're only $5 at Napa anyway.

can't stand auto parts store guys... I called my local NAPA looking for some rivet-nuts or nutserts and the guy said never heard of them and then hung up the phone. I called back and someone else answered... she quickly responded... yeah! we've got those in stock, come on in. Ridiculous.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bal...es_sm=93&espv=210&q=ballast+resistor&tbm=shop

and NAPA if you want to go back...

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/R...d&Nty=1&Dn=0&D=ballast+resistor&Dk=1&Dp=3&N=0

EDIT: this is the one you have now... part number "ECH ICR14"
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/C...gnition-Coil-Resistor/_/R-ECHICR14_0430793500

Check out your Pertronix coil first and see if it's rated for 12 volts. If it is, you don't want the ballast resistor, it would reduce the available spark.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom