What is the best tire size for overlanding by LC78? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Legends,
what's is the best size AT tire for overlanding by a Landcruiser 78 Troopy pls?
It should be accessible to buy the exact size in most of the countries, even in remote areas,
and what brand do you suggest? (BF, Cooper etc..)
Mainly easy access to buy same size, handling on and off-roads, consumption, life time etc ... all together considered should give us what size and which brand / model pls,

Appreciate any info,

I'd recommend a 235/85R16 10-ply tire, the skinny profile will be good for fuel consumption and handling on road and I've been very pleased with the off road handling with mine when aired down. I can't really comment on tire life or the best brand to go for, except to say the BFG KO2 seems to be very well regarded from a strength and longevity standpoint. I have Cooper ST Maxx tires and have been very happy with their performance on and off road and in snowy/icy conditions.

I'd recommend a 235/85R16 10-ply tire, the skinny profile will be good for fuel consumption and handling on road and I've been very pleased with the off road handling with mine when aired down. I can't really comment on tire life or the best brand to go for, except to say the BFG KO2 seems to be very well regarded from a strength and longevity standpoint. I have Cooper ST Maxx tires and have been very happy with their performance on and off road and in snowy/icy conditions.
Great thanks for the info.
Do you think 235/85 easy to find in any countries too?

Unfortunately I don't know much about availability in places other than North America.

7.50R16 should be available in most places around the world. Not a large tyre, but what most cruisers/patrols came with stock in the 'old days'. And of course mounted on split rims (with tube naturally) :)

cheers,
george.

I think 225/90R16 is fairly common on stock LC's in the Middle East.

I believe 7.50R16 and 235/85R16 are the same size overall. 7.50s are usuually commercial tires but you could do in a pinch. 7.50R16 are available pretty much everywhere.

I'd personally go for 265/75R16 or 285/75R16.

Where are you planning on travelling?

I believe 7.50R16 and 235/85R16 are the same size overall. 7.50s are usuually commercial tires but you could do in a pinch. 7.50R16 are available pretty much everywhere.

I'd personally go for 265/75R16 or 285/75R16.

Where are you planning on travelling?
Its not only one country it will be all over the places from Australia to Asia so need to know what to change now to stick to them all the time...
Could you explain how to understand the numbering pls?
I know the 235/85R16 meaning but what is the other format (7.50R16)?
How to know which rim size for which tire size?
I already have 285/75/R16 on rims marked 16x8
Can I use same rims for other tires like 235 or 265 on 16x8 rims? Or what size rims have to find for each specific tire size?

I'd suggest you visit a tyre shop - a real one. Chat with the oldest guy in the store and get educated about rim widths and what tyre would fit safely and work well.

Most 'less developed' areas won't have wide tyres easy to find. That's why I mentioned 7.50R16. It's what came on all the older 4wd's, 40 series, old patrols, etc. 235/75r16 is NOT the same as a 7.50R16 (the 235 is about 1" wider). Basically the 7.50R16 has a 1 to 1 aspect, essentially the tyre contact width is close to the sidewall height.

Most tyre manufacturer websites will have recommended rim widths for a particular tyre width (a range of widths they consider 'safe'). A 235/85 would not be a particularly good choice for an 8" rim. Air down and you have a high chance of losing the bead (tyre too narrow for a rim too wide).

Time for you to also research areas you are considering to visit and get an idea what tyres are typical there on 16" rims. Also if they have tubeless tyres easily available. I hope you know how to remove/repair/reinstall tyres.

cheers,
george.

I'd suggest you visit a tyre shop - a real one. Chat with the oldest guy in the store and get educated about rim widths and what tyre would fit safely and work well.

Most 'less developed' areas won't have wide tyres easy to find. That's why I mentioned 7.50R16. It's what came on all the older 4wd's, 40 series, old patrols, etc. 235/75r16 is NOT the same as a 7.50R16 (the 235 is about 1" wider). Basically the 7.50R16 has a 1 to 1 aspect, essentially the tyre contact width is close to the sidewall height.

Most tyre manufacturer websites will have recommended rim widths for a particular tyre width (a range of widths they consider 'safe'). A 235/85 would not be a particularly good choice for an 8" rim. Air down and you have a high chance of losing the bead (tyre too narrow for a rim too wide).

Time for you to also research areas you are considering to visit and get an idea what tyres are typical there on 16" rims. Also if they have tubeless tyres easily available. I hope you know how to remove/repair/reinstall tyres.

cheers,
george.
Tnx for the info yes for sure will find what will be the best safe rims for the final tyre decision.
Seems 235 little out of reach in some countries.
But 265 is what most people could buy anywhere
Defenetly not happy with my current 285 which they are killing the consumption and noisy and not findable easy in most not developed areas.
BY the way appreciate your time.

Well, rather than get into a big discussion. I was recently at the Land Cruiser Heritage Museum in Salt Lake. Amazing!!
Land Cruiser Heritage Museum - Expeditions 7 - https://landcruiserhm.com/expeditions-7
These guys went around the world, there are about 4-5 of their trucks in the museum. Every single truck had this size tire on it.
In my experience of meeting and visiting passing time with many world travelers on highways in various places they all have essentially
stock size tires. I'm a tire nerd, first thing I notice about any truck I walk up to.
IMG_3129.JPG
IMG_3130.JPG

Well, rather than get into a big discussion. I was recently at the Land Cruiser Heritage Museum in Salt Lake. Amazing!!
Land Cruiser Heritage Museum - Expeditions 7 - https://landcruiserhm.com/expeditions-7
These guys went around the world, there are about 4-5 of their trucks in the museum. Every single truck had this size tire on it.
In my experience of meeting and visiting passing time with many world travelers on highways in various places they all have essentially
stock size tires. I'm a tire nerd, first thing I notice about any truck I walk up to.
View attachment 2912335View attachment 2912336
Much appreciated yeap makes totally sense
Great info brother.
👍🍻

I had forgotten about the 255/85/16, that is a great tire size from a lot of standpoints. I was very tempted to go with the 255 over the 235, but cost and gearing made me think better of it. If I had a slightly lower 5th ratio they would be perfect. There is also a 255/80/17 that is essentially the same size tire for a 17 inch rim, but I don't know much about availability for those.

All the appeal of the 255/85 evaporates when you realize that they are supported by only a few manufacturers and are usually special order (not in stock).

235/85 or 265/75 are very available tire size in a wide variety of models and made by many manufacturers.

I had 7.50R16, 265/75, 255/85 and 285/75. My favorite are the 255/85 but if I had HZJ78 and travel in different countries, I would opt first for 235/85, then 265/75. The 7.50R16 are way too narrow.

All the appeal of the 255/85 evaporates when you realize that they are supported by only a few manufacturers and are usually special order (not in stock).

235/85 or 265/75 are very available tire size in a wide variety of models and made by many manufacturers.

I had 7.50R16, 265/75, 255/85 and 285/75. My favorite are the 255/85 but if I had HZJ78 and travel in different countries, I would opt first for 235/85, then 265/75. The 7.50R16 are way too narrow.
Thanks mate good info, I guess 235 will match and comfort the ride on my 78 Troopy very well too and also look Classic , (the stock tire surprisingly is 225/95/R16 very narrow !) prefer to be close as possible to the stock tires

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom