What is safer a 2000 LC or 97 LC (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My delima which is minor is my wife and I have two landcruisers a 2000 Landcruiser and a 1997 LX450. We just had a baby 3 weeks ago so now I have a family

Our first landcruiser was the 1997 for my wife and she loves it. After she had hers for about one year I fell in love with them and had to have one so I sold my 2004 Dodge 2500 for the 2000 LC.

Today I took my wifes LX450 to work just to keep the battery charged and relized that maybee my wife should be in the 2000 and me in the 1997. The 2000 has traction control, is bigger, better brakes, rides nicer, more stable down the roads. I could not live with myself if something happened to either one and want her in the safer rig.

Is the 2000 safer for her?

They are both relitivly stock, no lifts or other major mods. Both run super no problems at all hey they are Cruisers

Thanks

Howdy
Ive been in accidents that have written off a 1990 80srs and a 1998 105srs.
Both accidents were head on.
In the 80, the floor buckled so much, a 2 inch chunk of floor ripped out and stayed attached to the passenger seat frame/mount.
The point of impact was more to the drivers side, but both front doors had to be forced open, and then could not be closed.
Also, the only reason my foot was not taken off by the throttle was because it was so hard down on the brake pedal that the throttle passed over the top of it.
The 100/105srs has much better body strength, and the passenger compartment held up much better- all the doors opened and closed still (it was good not to be trapped in there), despite being a much faster collision. The whole front end crumpled to absorb the colision. The pedals (except the brake - which was in use) moved up away from my feet, not towards them.
My wife (with my 14 month old) now drives a 1999 105srs, and I drive a 1993 80srs.
In conclusion,

WEAR YOUR SEAT BELT

My biggest injury was my sore arms from pushing against the steering wheel as hard as I could, but being thrown into it anyway, bending it. That was much worse than the top of my head hitting the windscreen. I was wearing a cap, and dark safety glasses for sunglasses. Luckily.
Hope this helps

Matt

No brainer, the 100 series is safer. This is from an 80 owner. There is just no way around the fact that every generation of cars get better with safety. While I personally an not fond of the stability control system's (I used to spend a lot of time at lapping days so it freaks me out when the car does something I don't expect), for most drivers they add and additional level of safety, especially in less than perfect weather.

I own a 97 and an 00, both of which are my personal vehicles. I would say the 100 is the better vehicle as far as occupant protection in an accident and foul weather. The traction devices on the 00 are simply outstanding on slick roads. That said, they are both excelent vehicles and you should do what you feel most comfortable with. I would not hesitate to put my wife and children in either vehicle in stock trim.

The 100...VSC skid control, plus a more rigid frame (more crossmembers), more weight. The newer ones have side/curtain airbags. Somewhere, I read that on the 100, where the side window joins the roof, it's designed to minimize neck injuries in case of a rollover/side collision. My father played tennis w/ a guy who rolled his 100 on the freeway at 60mph...the guy walked away from the car.

Im putting my stuff in the 80 right now. Wife said no problem (I acually like the 80 better as far as rugged goes but I bought the 100 to tow a trailer but wanted an 80. Now lets see all the stuff I wanted to do to my 100 I can do to the 80. What Slees number again, who carries ARB, anyone need some running boards???

Thanks I knew the answer but wanted to hear from other people as well to confirm,

When did brake assist show up in the Landcruisers? I think that feature makes a bid difference.

I haven't used brake assist in a LC, but I used it in a Mercedes once and I think it made a huge difference. All hell broke loose ahead of me on a freeway, and I was able to bleed a huge amount of speed and then slalom through obsticles.

Everyone but me crashed, and I drove away feeling pretty damned pleased with myself and my car.

VSC saved my ass big time. I'm a believer now.

Never would have thought I needed it. I've done tons of high performance driving classes, etc. for work and always fancied myself a good driver.

I also have a decent comprehension of physics, and high speed lane changes don't mix with large SUV's.

That's why I knew what was coming and was surprised as hell the vehicle righted itself so well at speed.

Thank you VSC:cheers:

Needless to say, I believe the 100 is the safer vehicle and the one your wife and child should travel in.

now if it was a 97 vs a 98/99 it would be less of a difference, but with a 2000, and the TRAC/VSC systems, definitely would have to say put the baby in the newer rig. You can have your 100 back when the 200 comes out and you put your wife in that. Till then, if I was to be concerned with my families safety, they would be in the newer truck with all the newer safer gizmo's....then again im 19 and dont plan on a family annnnytime soon.

family in 100, no question.

even more so with the newer ones that have side curtain bags...

family in 100, no question.

even more so with the newer ones that have side curtain bags...

That was our thinking as well. One reason I could justify the 100 to the wife was the availability of side and side curtain airbags. The VSC/TRAC/EBD stuff she doesn't really understand, but has a vague conception that it's all "more good safety stuff."

She is coming around to Bluetooth, though. Until now, she refused to use her cell phone while driving with the baby onboard (I know, she's a keeper!). But with her new Bluetooth phone, she can still talk if necessary (still doesn't like doing it often), but still keep both hands on the wheel and both eyes on the road. :cheers:

+1 for the 100, just for the VSC.

I was hoping to chime in something about NHTSA crash testing, but I can't find that they've ever crash-tested the 80 or 100 series. Anybody know if these have been done, in the US or elsewhere?

+1 for the 100, just for the VSC.

I was hoping to chime in something about NHTSA crash testing, but I can't find that they've ever crash-tested the 80 or 100 series. Anybody know if these have been done, in the US or elsewhere?

The brakes alone not to mention everything else!
The 100!

The brakes alone not to mention everything else!
The 100!

I've never driven the 80 (alas) but I've heard about the brakes. However, the VSC is good enough that there are no more parking lot power slides in the snow for me.

:bounce: :bounce2: :ban:

Also the second row all three seats have sholder belts!
The 80 has only a lap belt in the middle.
The list goes on.

I've never driven the 80 (alas) but I've heard about the brakes. However, the VSC is good enough that there are no more parking lot power slides in the snow for me.

Can you shut off the VSC?

Thanks

Blow a tire out @ 85 mph in both vehicles then hang on for the ride....Then tell me which one you think is safer. ;)

Hands down 2000-up.... There really is NO contest here.

Ok, on my very fun exit off the interstate that I always attack as hard as possible, i always cut across the white line and get close to the cement devider on the right side. Well today, at about 65 i came off the highway and was apexing the turn. There was a 6foot 2x4 laying directly across the shoulder with nails sticking out of it. I swirved, tapped the brakes and corrected. TRAC/VSC kicked in and totally straightened my truck out with me not having to do much but steer. Was awesome. Truck just replanted itself after i made the evasive manuver. Now, that type of manuver i did would be something you would do on the highway when someone slams on the brakes when your not expecting it. I smiled and said to myself, ill have to post this on 'mud later in that which is safer thread.

Put em in the 2000+ and dont look back.

lock the center diff and get back to me next time it snows...it can do it.
IMG_05311.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom