What *is* an expedition build? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Like this??

Expeditionrig.jpg

A lot of these answers aren't satisfying. I love in NV and see a LOT of offroad vehicles all the time so let me break it down. There are different kinds of ways to trick out an vehicle for offroad. One is 'rock crawling'. These aren't anything like an expedition cruiser. They are mostly Jeeps with BIG tires and Lots of armor and roll cages and stuff. They are designed to go at most on an over night and their focus is to go over big rocks that mere mortals can't hope to conquer. Another type is "Baja". These guys want to go out to the desert, mostly flat and go very fast. The vehicles have a wide stance and fast suspension. They are mostly trucks, like Ford Raptors. Expedition is something else from both of those. We want to go a long way, we want to camp out and we want to have all the gear we need ready at hand.
Each of theses is an optimization. You can build out something to do some of each, maybe even all of those... but mostly people pick the way they want to enjoy off road, and optimize their vehicle for that. In the grand scheme expedition vehicle are built to go a long way, carry plenty of gear and cover reasonably tough terrain. We don't go out of our way to drive over a bolder (like a rock crawler) just because we can. We just go around if we need to. We don't drive super crazy fast offroad, because we are there to enjoy the view. Ideally a expedition rig can go just a BIT farther off pavement than a truck with a camper. It can go a lot farther than an RV. The short version is that an expedition rig is designed to go some place cool and bring enough stuff to hang out and enjoy that cool place. It is also about priorities. If I want to know what to mod on my vehicle next I look at priorities. If was a crawler, upgrading the skid plates would be high on my list. I prefer expedition so instead I went for the ARB awning and skid plates are far down the list. Basically if I asked what is most important, wider tires, skid plates, extra gas can, or a tent, each kind of off roader would have different priorities. Crawlers don't want a roof tent, it will make them more top heavy. Baja guys don't want a roof tent, it will be more drag (and top heavy). Expedition guys all drool over a nice roof tent and thing about the awesome places they could wake up in it.

A lot of these answers aren't satisfying. I love in NV and see a LOT of offroad vehicles all the time so let me break it down. There are different kinds of ways to trick out an vehicle for offroad. One is 'rock crawling'. These aren't anything like an expedition cruiser. They are mostly Jeeps with BIG tires and Lots of armor and roll cages and stuff. They are designed to go at most on an over night and their focus is to go over big rocks that mere mortals can't hope to conquer. Another type is "Baja". These guys want to go out to the desert, mostly flat and go very fast. The vehicles have a wide stance and fast suspension. They are mostly trucks, like Ford Raptors. Expedition is something else from both of those. We want to go a long way, we want to camp out and we want to have all the gear we need ready at hand.
Each of theses is an optimization. You can build out something to do some of each, maybe even all of those... but mostly people pick the way they want to enjoy off road, and optimize their vehicle for that. In the grand scheme expedition vehicle are built to go a long way, carry plenty of gear and cover reasonably tough terrain. We don't go out of our way to drive over a bolder (like a rock crawler) just because we can. We just go around if we need to. We don't drive super crazy fast offroad, because we are there to enjoy the view. Ideally a expedition rig can go just a BIT farther off pavement than a truck with a camper. It can go a lot farther than an RV. The short version is that an expedition rig is designed to go some place cool and bring enough stuff to hang out and enjoy that cool place. It is also about priorities. If I want to know what to mod on my vehicle next I look at priorities. If was a crawler, upgrading the skid plates would be high on my list. I prefer expedition so instead I went for the ARB awning and skid plates are far down the list. Basically if I asked what is most important, wider tires, skid plates, extra gas can, or a tent, each kind of off roader would have different priorities. Crawlers don't want a roof tent, it will make them more top heavy. Baja guys don't want a roof tent, it will be more drag (and top heavy). Expedition guys all drool over a nice roof tent and thing about the awesome places they could wake up in it.

Thanks for clearing that up...;)

I love reading all of these thoughts! SO now I want to throw mine in to the mix.

I think that an expedition vehicle is a purpose built rig with the goal of exploration. Some people may "explore" for months on end while others may be taking shorter road trips where they want to be self contained. When I was in college my "expedition vehicle" ( did not know there was such a thing at the time) was a 1978 Toyota HiLux with a camper shell that gave me a place to sleep and store my gear as I would take trips that would range from weekends to weeks and paved road trips to back country exploring.

Now I find that I need more comforts. I have a wife, a son, and two dogs... I need a bigger tent because my old fat body cannot sleep in a mini truck camper shell anymore. I like an ice chest for fresh food and not just prepackaged and gas station burittos. I also like to actually be prepared with tools and emergency equipment (which was not always the case when I was younger and I still not sure how I did not die!). I really probably need an RV but the 100 series Cruiser and Tundra Crewmax do just fine!

So to me, I think that an expedition build is not about what equipment you have, but what it allows you to do and freedom with which you can do it. An Expedition build here in the US will not be the same as one from Australia or Aisha or South America even though many of the features may be similar.

And PS I am guilty of building that zombie apocalypse vehicle that also serves as weekend camper and summer road tripper... but my wife thinks it cool so you know... zombies right?

Im going to chime in, Being a newly minted FZJ owner after only two months Ive already been busy like one of santas helpers. Ive done expeditions from Ma. to Cali. and thru MOAB, milion dollar hi way down to the Glades and I travel alone mostly and I also travel off season So being expedition ready to me means, If all goes south you do not need to call a tow truck or the like. Exped ready means If it breaks you built it and can fix it and are equipped to do so. As well as hygiene, eating etc etc. My two copper discs at least.

My Expedition Rig
DSCN1923.jpg
Just saw this post again. I don't think I mention that about 1/4 mile down the road a Turkey Vulture flew right in front of us and landed in a joshua cactus, by the time I got the camera back out it was gone. You don't see stuff like that if you stay on the freeway.

I don't think I mention that about 1/4 mile down the road a Turkey Vulture flew right in front of us and landed in a joshua cactus, by the time I got the camera back out it was gone.
Some years they have nested in my north barn. I often get to see them up close. They clean up the road kill along the highway. Bald eagles also do their part eating the road kill. I see them much less often. Nearly a deer a week gets killed on the stretch of highway next to my farm. It has a pair of curves that gets the deer to run the wrong way and they get hit.

So this would be your idea of the perfect expedition vehicle? I am not sure how it would do across Africa!

I joke... but really if you apply the idea that only classic expeditions are legitimate then there truly can be no more expeditions because we have to many amenities now days. UNLESS your perfect expedition vehicle is a spaceship or a submarine.

It is not about being able to camp further off the road... it is about what you do while you at there

LewisandClarkFestival_onawa.png

So this would be your idea of the perfect expedition vehicle? I am not sure how it would do across Africa!

I joke... but really if you apply the idea that only classic expeditions are legitimate then there truly can be no more expeditions because we have to many amenities now days. UNLESS your perfect expedition vehicle is a spaceship or a submarine.

It is not about being able to camp further off the road... it is about what you do while you at there

LewisandClarkFestival_onawa.png

Yeah, looks good to me.

I joke as well, but i think an expedition is supposed to have been going to a place that is essentially undiscovered. Regular, mapped and sometimes even maintained 4x4 trails don't count.

Yeah, looks good to me.

I joke as well, but i think an expedition is supposed to have been going to a place that is essentially undiscovered. Regular, mapped and sometimes even maintained 4x4 trails don't count.
I'm going on an expedition to Trader Joe's in my stock FJ40. Anything could happen...

Would you go 42,252 miles around the world in a fairly stock 40, no RTT, no fridge, no dual battery, no shower system.... I would add this to the "expedition" list above, great book by the way. They hauled a small pop up camper that had lots of axle issues.

images.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom