What have you done to your 200 Series this week? (56 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Installed my Prinsu rack this morning. Can’t wait to get my RTT on there and get up to the mtns.

E485768B-DED9-499A-885A-E0B9BA659BEC.jpeg

B3FCF53E-E920-477B-A693-EE6490FBF664.jpeg

I have my ham PTT sitting on that molle panel you just installed in yours but I’m debating on moving it to the panel where you have yours mounted. Did you use tiny nuts and bolts for that location or just some small screws?

For the GRMS - midland provided some 3M double sided tape and a mount that hold the ptt or mic.
I put mine on the passenger side, same place.

For the GRMS - midland provided some 3M double sided tape and a mount that hold the ptt or mic.
I put mine on the passenger side, same place.
Where are you guys running power for your GMRS? I have the micro mobile and am thinking of installing in the glovebox or center console so it’s tucked away. Trying to decide best place to get permanent power vs cig 12v.

Mine's under the glove box. I ran power from my switchpros through the firewall grommet.

037932F2-B806-4C32-A673-05E713847CC9.jpeg

Same as @CharlieS I mounted Mxt575 under glove box and hard wired to battery through gromet.

I have my ham PTT sitting on that molle panel you just installed in yours but I’m debating on moving it to the panel where you have yours mounted. Did you use tiny nuts and bolts for that location or just some small screws?
Just self tapping screws

Ordered new alpha 17inch rims +15 offset for a great deal from tire rack. I was looking to go down to a 17 and my atw3 have almost 60k miles on them so it is time for replacements IMO. I was also thinking of painting the stock rims a dark grey, but for the price I couldn't pass these up. I love the way they look and were in my garage less than 24 hours after ordering them. I think I am going to go with the NRG 285/75-17 in a load C. I have load Es currently and they can be a bit stiff.

IMG_20220517_115351_01.jpg

20220517_120845.jpg

Last edited:
Same as @CharlieS I mounted Mxt575 under glove box and hard wired to battery through gromet.
I’m sure this is a dumb question but why go to the trouble of wiring to the battery through the firewall? Isn’t it easier to just use something like the cigarette lighter power wire? I don’t mean use the cigarette lighter outlet, I mean tap into the cig lighter power wire.

I’m sure this is a dumb question but why go to the trouble of wiring to the battery through the firewall? Isn’t it easier to just use something like the cigarette lighter power wire? I don’t mean use the cigarette lighter outlet, I mean tap into the cig lighter power wire.
The MXT575 is rated to pull 8amp. If you tap the cigarette line and are using both the radio plus something pluged into the cigarette outlet say a high power USB adatper then you will overload the circuit and blow the fuse.

I’m sure this is a dumb question but why go to the trouble of wiring to the battery through the firewall? Isn’t it easier to just use something like the cigarette lighter power wire?
Just a simple pull through the grommet for me. Grommet tip was already off for the antenna wire so pulled the pos/neg wires through there and on to battery. Maybe 5 to 10 minutes to pull, attach, wires and another 20 minutes to mount radio under the glove box.

And as @TCM noted the radio needs that power to achieve its 50 watts. Believe I read it has to have voltage of 13.8 or something like that in order to hit that 50 mark.

Last edited:
Thanks gents! Really like that spot and appreciate the info. I don’t have switchpro yet but at this rate I going to need one! Probably go straight to my group 31 agm for now. I ordered the Kaon Aerial antenna mount for passenger side. I love the location and low profile but also need to figure out how to get the antenna cable through the A Pilar or maybe through firewall and out through hood. Direct through A Pilar would be mint though.

Yes, you can definitely tap into an interior fuse location. I did that previously. I just prefer to have all of my front accessories be switched and run through the switchpros.

Thanks gents! Really like that spot and appreciate the info. I don’t have switchpro yet but at this rate I going to need one! Probably go straight to my group 31 agm for now. I ordered the Kaon Aerial antenna mount for passenger side. I love the location and low profile but also need to figure out how to get the antenna cable through the A Pilar or maybe through firewall and out through hood. Direct through A Pilar would be mint though.
The grommet on my 18 has 2 nipples. Snipped one and ran antenna and pos/neg through. Mounted antenna to bumper. Wires protected and run under plastic through grill.

Reactions: NTV
I have my antenna cable, switchpros control wire bundle, 6 ga (?) wire to rear cargo power and two pair of 12 ga wires through various holes in that same bulkhead grommet.

The Cig wire is controlled by ignition, and radios work best if direct to battery.
I have an aux battery and run off that. My GRMS is back in the cargo area and then I use a cat-6 computer wire to extend the Mic. (PTT).

The Cig wire is controlled by ignition, and radios work best if direct to battery.
I have an aux battery and run off that. My GRMS is back in the cargo area and then I use a cat-6 computer wire to extend the Mic. (PTT).
Yes, I was wondering about potential interference and noise from other sources. Is that what you mean by “works best” direct to battery?

Maybe not ideal, but I don't have any such issues with my GMRS being powered through the Switchpros to my aux battery.

Yes, I was wondering about potential interference and noise from other sources. Is that what you mean by “works best” direct to battery?
The issue at hand is noise being introduced into the radio by the alternator. If you wire the radio directly to the battery then it minimizes this as an issue. That said it is much more likely to be a problem on the old CB radios than it is on the GRMS radio being discussed here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom