What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (82 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@KraziAzn I am in ID
Id love to meet up! I also want to do a trip to Alaska! I tried to send you a message but your inbox might be full.

Msg me now. I delete some.

Icons are a game changer for sure. I’ve always enjoyed driving off road but now it’s 10x better being able to bomb down the long desert trails we have here in the west. I feel bad for my friends when I leave them in the dust and I have to wait for them while they rattle their teeth out. Haha.

Stage 1 has been great but I’ll probably upgrade soon, and add new bumpstops as well.

Good to hear! I'm very excited about the Icons this month. Also, I LOVE YOUR RIG. haha.

Finally some new shoes... my mall-crawler; pavement princess... etc etc.

265/70/18 Falken Wildpeak cause I didn’t want to go to a 10ply E load... 1cm is not gonna kill me 😂.

912C6A7A-A0C7-420D-B7ED-4F1C6FC1D84F.jpeg

6A76B533-6B16-4A4D-B6EB-559D0BBA562E.jpeg

Icons are a game changer for sure. I’ve always enjoyed driving off road but now it’s 10x better being able to bomb down the long desert trails we have here in the west. I feel bad for my friends when I leave them in the dust and I have to wait for them while they rattle their teeth out. Haha.

Stage 1 has been great but I’ll probably upgrade soon, and add new bumpstops as well.

Glad to hear you are enjoying Stage 1s. Did you have them built to your rigs spec or do they come 1 way? I have a relitively light rig at the moment, will be adding a winch and bumper soon though. I like to bomb down trails faster than I should.....

I knocked out my heater tees last weekend, which isn't really a big deal, but thanks to the members of this forum I was able to find the part numbers and several discussions on what to expect. As usual the tee on the hot side crumbled when I removed the hoses.

The factory tees lasted 207000 miles in my '99 LX.

As you can see I went with the metal tees, which as mentioned in previous discussions isn't really necessary but that's the route I took.
IMG_20191107_185338690.jpg

Glad to hear you are enjoying Stage 1s. Did you have them built to your rigs spec or do they come 1 way? I have a relitively light rig at the moment, will be adding a winch and bumper soon though. I like to bomb down trails faster than I should.....

They just come with one valve setting. It's apparently equivalent to a 4 on the 1-10 scale of the adjustable Stage 3 or 4, with 10 being the stiffest. It feels great when I'm alone on a day trip with minimal gear. I've kept it as lightweight as possible while still having front and rear bumper, winch, and sliders (no roof rack, RTT, drawers, fridge etc.) However when I'm loaded up with a passenger and 4-500 lbs of gear plus 15 gallons of fuel and water on the back, it bottomed out pretty easily. Those are the times when I wish I could dial up the stiffness.

The other big plus of stage 3 or 4 of course is the external bypass reservoir, but the stage 1s have never overheated to the point where I have felt the need for bypass shocks. They're pretty solid.

Continued with the rust remediation today. I sprayed gloss black Rust-oleum Professional High Performance Enamel over top of the Rust Reformer I sprayed earlier in the week. Final step will be Fluid Film in the near future. My little buddy inspected my work and helped put the tires back on. QUOTE]

This kind of work has been top of mind for me lately, thanks so much for detailing. Any words of wisdom/caution for those thinking about attempting some remediation? It'll probably be a good solid couple weekends of me on a flat piece of cardboard. How much work did you have to do with a wire wheel/brush? Did you mask off parts you didn't want touched or just spray and not worry? How long did you have to wait between coats of primer/paint?

Any input would be much appreciated, if easier feel free to PM me!

@spaber05

It really wasn't too difficult. I pressure washed the undercarriage the best I could a few days before it started to clean the dirt and crud off. The first day took about 5 hours between cleaning with a wire wheel/brush and spraying. I did my best to knock away and flaking rust and debris then sprayed the rust reformer. It turns the surface you spray flat black. The manufacturer recommends allowing 24 hours to dry before spraying a top coat. Due to my work schedule, it ended up being 5 days for me. I did one coat of rust reformer and one coat of Rust-oleum High Performance Enamel in gloss black. I plan to follow up with Fluid Film as final protective barrier.

I didn't worry about masking, I just sprayed where was needed. One word of caution. Make sure you tape off or place the plug back in the hole in the bumper for your jack tool. I didn't and ended up getting rust reformer in my tail gate. Thankfully, it was able to clean it up.

It's a pretty straight forward process and not as difficult as I had imagined prior to doing it.

@MountaineerLC : That's really helpful. Follow up question: During the curing of the reformer, do they recommend the car not be driven? Or is it ok to drive as long as it stays dry? The reason I ask is that this my only vehicle and it being out of commission for that long might be a challenge.

@MountaineerLC : That's really helpful. Follow up question: During the curing of the reformer, do they recommend the car not be driven? Or is it ok to drive as long as it stays dry? The reason I ask is that this my only vehicle and it being out of commission for that long might be a challenge.

There are no recommendations from Rust-oleum, but I recommend not driving it once you start spraying. I say that because you wouldn't want to spray the reformer, then drive it and get the undercarriage dirty again before you spray the paint. That said, as long as the weather is good and your careful to avoid getting things wet/dirty it would be fine.

Last edited:
Replaced the lower shock mount for front passenger side, Icon stage 1 shocks all the way around. Shout out to Icon, amazing customer service, a pleasure to deal with and lots of support. My 04 LC is super quiet now, front end clunk gone!!!!!

Thanks guys!!

I am new to the 100 series. Coming from the 40 forum OCD Bettle has a really successful, fun thread where we post a pic of wheeling, a fix, a new part, etc. for our trucks.

It's neat to see the mix of projects, daily driving issues, weekend wheelin reports, etc.

I thought the 100 forum could use one...

I'll start...today I ordered an Iron Man 2 inch lift kit for my 99'.:clap:

I just re-entered the 100 series club after being away for 4 years. I can't believe I started this thread in 2012 and we have 1080 PAGES now!!!

Crazy.

So I bought a 2000 White, stock LC. I had a 99 when I started this thread and in between have had a 2001 (that I obviously regretted selling)

Thanks for allowing me a memory lane moment....back to LC stuff. I'm baselining fluids and just enjoying driving it right now!

A team member at work challenged me to come up with a solution to the spare tire carrier being under the vehicle without building an entire bumper with a swing out. Fearing the prospect of my heavy spare tire bouncing down the road when my construction had failed, I overbuilt pretty substantially. While it’s not yet finished, this is my current status. The latch needs to be re-mounted, as it will be prone to dragging (despite the high departure), but otherwise everything works as planned, ish. Now that I’ve invested the time and effort, I wish I’d just built a bumper...

Please note, my Drifta-style drawers are not yet finished.
9268B477-5EB1-4C5A-BC89-603761426DCB.jpeg
53BE5178-2ACD-4846-8DEF-8E616CEAABFA.jpeg

A team member at work challenged me to come up with a solution to the spare tire carrier being under the vehicle without building an entire bumper with a swing out. Fearing the prospect of my heavy spare tire bouncing down the road when my construction had failed, I overbuilt pretty substantially. While it’s not yet finished, this is my current status. The latch needs to be re-mounted, as it will be prone to dragging (despite the high departure), but otherwise everything works as planned, ish. Now that I’ve invested the time and effort, I wish I’d just built a bumper...

Please note, my Drifta-style drawers are not yet finished. View attachment 2134238View attachment 2134239
I like it, you are doing it instead of buying it

Installed 8 new coil pack, only two were toyota originals all the rest looked like cheap ones also torqued the spark plugs. I had terrible mileage like 1 gas tank would give me 145-155 miles only and had slight miss fires. It feels more responsive now and the engine sounds little different, I am not sure about the mileage will see if that improves.

IMG_4181.JPG

IMG_5973.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom