What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (21 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

20230215_193152.jpg

Fix my mistake as a direct result of procrastination.🙄
Front differential bearings with 15k miles on them. Long story short my ARB lockers had bad bonded piston seals and the axle seals did not survive the second time around. The very slow leak that I was topping off all the sudden one day dumped a ton of fluid and I burnt the pinion bearing..

250 dollar mistake plus seals.

Took the time to do upper ball joints, front differential bushing and cv's.

My big debate now is a nice single din that will integrate and look "natural" or a double din car play head unit. All I really care about is being able to stream music via Bluetooth and USB. Car play is nice, but in my experience relatively glitchy and not a must have for me. I wasn't super impressed with it in the '21 Tacoma and the '20 F-150 I'd driven for work the past few years. A backup camera would be nice though.

On a side note, did you buy an adapter harness or direct wire it from the head unit?
I’ve used the Grom Bluetooth adapter in my 2006 LX for years and it works well. No Apple Car Play, but the Bluetooth works and gives me 90% of what I want. Bluetooth adapter car kit interface Lexus LX 470 2007 - https://gromaudio.com/store/bt3_adapters/all/lexus-lx-470-2007-bluetooth-adapter-car-kit-interface.html

The last two weeks have been catching up on maintenance. The 100 has let me know that it doesn't appreciate my neglect, so the serpentine belt signed off and I had to limp home doing my best He Man impression with no power steering. Turns out the the bearing on the belt tensioner seized and that quickly fried the belt. Given that it's been 13 years since the timing belt, etc. were done, I decided to order the parts kit from Amazon and tackle it myself. The Amazon parts kit is surprisingly complete - I ordered the one with all Toyota, Denso and Aisin parts - and even includes a new front main seal kit. The bearing on the fan bracket was also pretty wobbly, so I added a new fan bracket to the order as well as a cylinder cover gasket kit.

As luck would have it, there are a handful of bolts that fell between my little torque wrench and the big one, so feeling flush, I ordered a new Proto that covers 200-1000 in lbs. Why inch pounds? It was cheaper, available immediately and it also had a scale in NM, so would do fine on the Toyota and my Audi. Compared to my old Craftsman tools, the Proto looks like a Rolex and I appreciate the NIST traceable calibration certificate. (You never know when I might want to rebuild an airplane engine or something...)

Some of the wiring connectors were getting pretty fragile, so two got replaced with Deutsch connectors and one of the coolant temp sensors was also replaced.

Of course, when I went to reinstall the crank pulley I discovered that it needs tightening to 188(?) lbft. and my other old Craftsman torque wrench only went to 150, so the little Proto has a new big brother that ranges from 50-250 lbft. They do look nice together! Everything is back together except for the fan and shroud and some coolant, so should have it done tomorrow.

Bought it on Tuesday. Fixed a leaking FL hardline on Wednesday and brought it home. Had it all legal by Thursday. Replaced the wipers for possibly the first time in its whole life on Friday, as well as fixing an ABS light and replacing a plug and coil due to misfire. ABS light came back Saturday- same sensor (FR)... maybe the 3" lift is too much for the line length? Sunday has been a day to lithium grease the window tracks, wash the undercarriage, and then wash the windows. Basic easy one banana stuff for my last day before going back to work.

The last two weeks have been catching up on maintenance. The 100 has let me know that it doesn't appreciate my neglect, so the serpentine belt signed off and I had to limp home doing my best He Man impression with no power steering. Turns out the the bearing on the belt tensioner seized and that quickly fried the belt. Given that it's been 13 years since the timing belt, etc. were done, I decided to order the parts kit from Amazon and tackle it myself. The Amazon parts kit is surprisingly complete - I ordered the one with all Toyota, Denso and Aisin parts - and even includes a new front main seal kit. The bearing on the fan bracket was also pretty wobbly, so I added a new fan bracket to the order as well as a cylinder cover gasket kit.

As luck would have it, there are a handful of bolts that fell between my little torque wrench and the big one, so feeling flush, I ordered a new Proto that covers 200-1000 in lbs. Why inch pounds? It was cheaper, available immediately and it also had a scale in NM, so would do fine on the Toyota and my Audi. Compared to my old Craftsman tools, the Proto looks like a Rolex and I appreciate the NIST traceable calibration certificate. (You never know when I might want to rebuild an airplane engine or something...)

Some of the wiring connectors were getting pretty fragile, so two got replaced with Deutsch connectors and one of the coolant temp sensors was also replaced.

Of course, when I went to reinstall the crank pulley I discovered that it needs tightening to 188(?) lbft. and my other old Craftsman torque wrench only went to 150, so the little Proto has a new big brother that ranges from 50-250 lbft. They do look nice together! Everything is back together except for the fan and shroud and some coolant, so should have it done tomorrow.
Not gonna lie, that torque wrench sounds hella cool. Do you have a link to where you found it?

Jumped in with Renogy for a house battery setup. Was happy to see the factory (as far as I know) alternator put out plenty of amperage to the charge controller while driving. Wired up an extension for our 100w folding solar panel for when we need it, and have slowly started to wire more devices into the house battery's fuse panel. Upgraded to an Iceco from our old Yeti, which meant a new cover/housing for it to live in (gunstock stain to match the fancy wood up front).
1679291657598.png

1679291615206.png

Turned 302,000 miles today & replaced the OEM headlights and turn signal assemblies after someone was kind enough to smash mine while they were drunk… $350 dollars later, and the new ones were installed and looking goooooooood!!!.. got new LED headlight bulbs on the way to replace the halogen bulbs.

Also installed new LED fog lights, but don’t have any pics of them.

48E60E7E-4741-4176-834C-0EC36BA78B08.jpeg

7F401031-938C-435F-98F0-0F9B9AEE078C.jpeg

410599D9-736B-4D1D-BE04-962918956F8B.jpeg

Turned 302,000 miles today & replaced the OEM headlights and turn signal assemblies after someone was kind enough to smash mine while they were drunk… $350 dollars later, and the new ones were installed and looking goooooooood!!!.. got new LED headlight bulbs on the way to replace the halogen bulbs.

Also installed new LED fog lights, but don’t have any pics of them.

View attachment 3278287

View attachment 3278288

View attachment 3278289
Nice, but please say those reflector assemblies are meant for LEDs, otherwise you’ll be one of those $#*+$ blinding everyone at night.

Bought it on Tuesday. Fixed a leaking FL hardline on Wednesday and brought it home. Had it all legal by Thursday. Replaced the wipers for possibly the first time in its whole life on Friday, as well as fixing an ABS light and replacing a plug and coil due to misfire. ABS light came back Saturday- same sensor (FR)... maybe the 3" lift is too much for the line length? Sunday has been a day to lithium grease the window tracks, wash the undercarriage, and then wash the windows. Basic easy one banana stuff for my last day before going back to work.
Hey man. Can you give a little more info on the greasing of the window tracks? Were you windows up/down a bit slow? TIA!

Hey man. Can you give a little more info on the greasing of the window tracks? Were you windows up/down a bit slow? TIA!
Sure thing! The windows up/down was, as my wife put it, "overly dramatic". So I just sprayed some white lithium grease in the tracks. Worked a charm, except for the rear passenger side, which still goes back up super slow. I'll probably have to clean up that motor sometime.

Not gonna lie, that torque wrench sounds hella cool. Do you have a link to where you found it?
Amazon has them. The 200-1000 lbin. was $188 and the 50-250 lbft. was $206. You might also check Ebay. I saw a few in there that were in the same bracket once you paid for shipping and they were new as well. I did pick up a Proto 40-200 lbin. there for $40 plus shipping. Doesn't have a calibration certificate, but looked to be in good shape and the little ones rarely go out of calibration. Have fun shopping!

Napa was running a special on Valvoline synthetic gear oil, and it was a nice day, so I changed my transfer case oil as well as the front and rear diffs for the first time.

Local dealer charges $350-$400 for the job, and I got out for $80 (gear oil & gaskets) and the faint smell of gear oil lingering on myself and my driveway.

Old hat for many, but first time I’ve done the job, and it felt good to do it myself.
Good work! I always feel a sense of accomplishment when I do something like that myself, and the cost savings makes doing routine maintenance much more affordable.

Sure thing! The windows up/down was, as my wife put it, "overly dramatic". So I just sprayed some white lithium grease in the tracks. Worked a charm, except for the rear passenger side, which still goes back up super slow. I'll probably have to clean up that motor sometime.
Ok thanks. You mean the black tracks on the front and back?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom