What Fluid Goes in Here (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sorry for the newbie question. The small reservoir is a little below the minimum line. Thanks for the help.

looks like slave cylinder in case photo not come through.

A2BADAF7-AD68-45AC-AB41-9E72016A89D5.jpeg

Last edited:
Sorry for the new year’s question. The small reservoir is a little below the minimum line. Thanks for the help.

looks like slave cylinder in case photo not come through.

View attachment 2706940
You have three reservoirs.. One is clearly marked "Power Steering Fluid".. Generally that requires AFT.. BUT always check YOUR vehicle's Owners Manual (OR the Factory Service Manual) for the correct type fluid!
The other two "containers" are: Double Reservoir: This is for the braking system, use the proper Brake Fluid for your vehicle. Small, single Reservoir is the Clutch Fluid Reservoir.. most likely uses brake fluid, as well BUT always check YOUR Vehicle's Owners Manual OR the proper Service Manual!
When in doubt... RTFM!!
Charles 1974 FJ40

You have three reservoirs.. One is clearly marked "Power Steering Fluid".. Generally that requires AFT.. BUT always check YOUR vehicle's Owners Manual (OR the Factory Service Manual) for the correct type fluid!
The other two "containers" are: Double Reservoir: This is for the braking system, use the proper Brake Fluid for your vehicle. Small, single Reservoir is the Clutch Fluid Reservoir.. most likely uses brake fluid, as well BUT always check YOUR Vehicle's Owners Manual OR the proper Service Manual!
When in doubt... RTFM!!
Charles 1974 FJ40

Hey brother, would love to, but I am in Bali so no real place easy for me to ask or service and this car has no owner’s manual.

This is a 1982 FJ40.

AB328776-E2B1-42E0-B596-FE03A6FCFFB9.jpeg

8B31A23E-3542-46B8-A469-81DFEA9B2919.jpeg

Lol, not New Years, but newbie question. Autocheck.

Be awesome if someone with either an owner’s manual or knowledge of a 1982 could help me out. Resources and language barriers are a bit of an issue for me here in Bali with this thing.

I am referring to the small one on the rail. The other 3 reservoirs seem full.

Last edited:
I am referring to the small one on the rail. The other 3 reservoirs seem full.

I think the "rail" you are referring to is your brake master cylinder; the rear reservoir (for the rear brakes) does look low. It says on the cap what to put in it; DOT 3 or DOT 4 brake fluid, as @WarDamnEagle said.

While your at it, check the rear brake cylinders for fluid leaks. The fluid will displace from the reservior to the wheel cylinders as the shoes wear or cylinders leak.

A8592E95-261A-4A0D-B108-1549D5011076.jpeg

To me, just looking at the image, it looks like the rear master reservoir is low, and the front reservoir looks empty….

I would top off the rear brake master cylinder and too off the clutch master while you are at it. Dot 3 most likely.
The bigger "front" is either real full or empty. If it is empty then you have some serious brake issues that will need to be fixed before driving it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom