What did you do with your truck this week? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The axle that was shipped to me from Columbia was not correctly identified and they picked it back up. They sent me an unlocked axle from a 4R and mistakenly thought it was a locked axle because the VIN identification said "center diff lock" LOL

Got a 2012 FJC axle from Grover, NC and planning on throwing it under the truck this weekend. Surprisingly they didn't hack up all the brake lines and e-brake cables.

Rear8.2axle (1).JPG

Bone head move... I took out the 2 phillips screws on the VAF (22250-66010). I AM AN IDIOT.

I hope to try and re-solder/ connect, get a refurbished, find a salvage, or chance it on a Chinese aftermarket. Not sure what to do since they are Discontinued...

If anyone else is brave enough to admit this failure, let me know how you fixed it...

For reference: FJ80 3FE Air Flow Meter VAF Stupidity!!

Bone head move... I took out the 2 phillips screws on the VAF (22250-66010). I AM AN IDIOT.

I hope to try and re-solder/ connect, get a refurbished, find a salvage, or chance it on a Chinese aftermarket. Not sure what to do since they are Discontinued...

If anyone else is brave enough to admit this failure, let me know how you fixed it...

Brave enough to admit it. :) Was able to re-solder and carry on. I did pick a spare up out of a junkyard via car-part.com to have just in case.

Continued untangling of PO’s electrical. I have learned that anytime I find electrical tape in a wire, it is probably covering up a problem. Lots of random wire with pieces spliced together, sometimes changing color, making me think he was using recycled scrap.

Fridge wiring. Butt spliced, heat shrink covered, and the 2 pin outlet attached to the cargo area panel now
B766C552-8118-4085-A2EF-0AACBDEB86D7.jpeg

Rear hatch cargo light. WTF?
9B750224-E2CC-4793-8C53-4A2A1DC27623.jpeg

Finally got the 8.2" rear axle in place. I kept my brakes and wheel sensor harness. Chunky 3rd got rebuilt last weekend with 4.56 gears.

Fun fact, the axle shafts are identical except for the bore diameter where the rotors seat on the hub flange. They made a lip on the flange just about 1-2mm larger, so the rotors are specific to model years on this axle. The wheel bore is still the same, just not the rotor bore. I didn't want to replace the rotors, so I just reused my axles. Also, I have recently rebuilt both of my axles, so the maintenance history is known on them. On the new axle, the junkyard couldn't tell me how many miles were on it, and from disassembly, looks like they have never seen a bearing replacement. The other thing is the swaybar is different. Larger mounts on the axle tube and slightly different location of the mounting plates. Running willy-nilly at the moment, but new swaybar is not cost prohibitive.

Here's what's identical on the 8.2" axle to 8" counterpart:
linkage brackets
shock mounts
axle shaft length/spline, mount flange/studs
dust shield
e-brake parts
calipers
hard brake lines
soft brake lines up to crossmember
wheel sensors & harness
wiring harness to e-locker actuator & lock position sensor
lock position sensor itself
The e-locker actuator motor looks identical except for the bored out holes where it mounts to the housing - from M8 to M10 size studs in the housing.
Rear8.2axle (20).JPG
Rear8.2axle (24).JPG
Rear8.2axle (25).JPG
Rear8.2axle (26).JPG
Rear8.2axle (28).JPG

"On the road again.." as Willie once said.

Plug and play salvaged VAF

Thanks to IH8MUD forum and honest people helping out.. Special shout out to @slow95z and @AbodeOnTheRoad

Decided to recess the fridge rather than use a pullout on the platform. I lose a little bit of storage but can now open the fridge through the hatch instead of needing to drop the tailgate and pull it out. Got it to a functional state but still have some cleaning up to do and considering a divider similar to the Goosegear kitchen system.
3E8D0614-2F23-4AA0-86C9-D26C6E229ABE.jpeg

Checked out Greenville-Pickens ORV park. First impressions: If you haven’t read the directions on Facebook you would easily miss it. The speedway is obvious, but there is nothing indicating they are open for anything else. Pay your $25, sign the waiver, and get your wrist band, but don’t ask any questions because she “doesn’t know anything about that.” Be sure to ask and you can get a black and white copy of the color coded map.
81050E29-F9EB-4BF1-AD7C-BFC1B654CD2F.jpeg

Once inside the park it reminds me of riding logging roads. Some signed, others not, so I am not sure where I was when I found the fun spots. It is all dirt and looks like it would be super slick in the wet. Today was dry and traction was easy except for some holes.
08EE9ECC-3CE8-4DED-B457-A7AF6208A490.jpeg

There is what looks like a quarry area with several levels of hill climb out. The obstacle course area is pretty nice with several playground challenges, and of course, a flex ramp.
577C3C38-03FF-4350-B64C-6409001295B2.jpeg

Overall, it is a work in progress. Great for a vehicle shakedown after doing a fix or mod, or just a local afternoon of wheeling. I wouldn’t want to go with a group much larger than 3 vehicles. Good day.
7A90871D-D6F5-4E7A-8AB9-0B043228A6FA.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom