Builds What did you do with your cruiser today? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice! I do like the Slee bumpers and swingout bumpers have started to grow on me (along with dorkels).

No real work done on Alita this weekend, finished installing the passenger side speakers (Morel Maximo 6) and then did final fitment of the JOYING headunit so the center console surround slides on easily and fully.

I continued cleaning up the motor to get it ready for all new seals.
View attachment 2332140
View attachment 2332141

I'll take the flywheel to OReilley's tomorrow to get machined.
Today we pulled the transmission out. Now to take it somewhere for rebuild/reseal. Not sure exactly what it needs but I'll let the experts handle it. @Tony_Farson you mentioned George at Valley Hybrids before and you had your stuff done there is that right? I was wondering if I need to make a trip out there, but how long does something like that take? I was going to give him a call on Monday to inquire. Am I much worse off at a transmission shop here locally? Has anyone dealt with one here in town?

View attachment 2332147

Yeah call Georg. Timing all depends on how busy he is.

I continued cleaning up the motor to get it ready for all new seals.
View attachment 2332140
View attachment 2332141

I'll take the flywheel to OReilley's tomorrow to get machined.
Today we pulled the transmission out. Now to take it somewhere for rebuild/reseal. Not sure exactly what it needs but I'll let the experts handle it. @Tony_Farson you mentioned George at Valley Hybrids before and you had your stuff done there is that right? I was wondering if I need to make a trip out there, but how long does something like that take? I was going to give him a call on Monday to inquire. Am I much worse off at a transmission shop here locally? Has anyone dealt with one here in town?

View attachment 2332147
Scottys Transmission in Sparks is a very reputable shop. A previous club member worked there and testified to their honesty.

They did the transmission in my FJ40 probably 25 years ago, also replaced the transmission in my GMC. They also didn't do any work on my Mercury because they told me it would cause more problems to flush than leave it alone.

Appreciate the replies. I did end up calling and talking to George at Valley Hybrid today. It was early enough and I was convinced it was the right move, so I loaded up the transmission and transfercase and hauled it down there to George. If anyone is needing to make trip down there in a week or 10 days or so when I need to go pick it up you're welcome or if you want me to take something let me know. Long shot I'm sure but maybe you just started wondering in your head what you want to send.
BTW, his shop is super cool and just tons of different landcruisers it was awesome. I didn't want to nerd out taking pics of his shop and vehicles there, but I thought it was cool stuff. Maybe next time I go I'll snap some pics.

Follow-up: we stretched the rope yesterday, and the electrics held up nicely. Lowest voltage at the OBD port was about 12.25 on a long pull. The 10AWG fusible links I installed at each battery on the charging/isolation circuit didn't feel much warmer than the rest of the engine compartment. I was considering adding a circuit to trigger the ACR to disconnect while the winch is running, but it looks like that won't be necessary. I've been coveting a DC current clamp for a while, I might order it now just to see how much current is being pulled through those links.

For comparison, my son's TJ came with a 12000 pound winch for some reason, on a single battery. We re-spooled the cable last week, and it drew the voltage down so far the Check Gauges light came on. I've suggested he not use it much.

It took way longer than it should have, but I got the winch, dual battery, and headlamp relay upgrade installed today. Now I just need to install the rope, which should shake out the new electrics. Not pictured, I used a Blue Sea ACR for the isolator.
The Slee Short Bus bumper glided onto the frame, all holes lined up perfect, it was the easiest part of the process.

Follow-up: we stretched the rope yesterday, and the electrics held up nicely. Lowest voltage at the OBD port was about 12.25 on a long pull. The 10AWG fusible links I installed at each battery on the charging/isolation circuit didn't feel much warmer than the rest of the engine compartment. I was considering adding a circuit to trigger the ACR to disconnect while the winch is running, but it looks like that won't be necessary. I've been coveting a DC current clamp for a while, I might order it now just to see how much current is being pulled through those links.

For comparison, my son's TJ came with a 12000 pound winch for some reason, on a single battery. We re-spooled the cable last week, and it drew the voltage down so far the Check Gauges light came on. I've suggested he not use it much.
I've seen guy that try to idle up their rigs when winching. Winching is all about the battery, you can rev your engine up to red-line and it will only put out as much current as the alternator can make. My FJ40 alternator makes 45 amps, if I do a lot of winching I need a lot of recovery time for the battery.

It did help the TJ to keep the RPMs above 2k or so. The field on those is driven from the ECM, I suspect the field current is kinda weak. Or, he could have a blown diode or two.

Well it was painful... like $770 worth of pain! I got all the patch panels I need to complete the body work and plan to have in Grass Valley starting in early July.

1592414480282.png

I used Real Steel's fuel tank floor pan patch on the 40 last year. Great quality and fit! Can't wait to be past this phase though. I got the rear quarter mostly for the fuel filler neck since I need a second one for my aux tank I ordered from Long Range America. I'll be moving rear wheel openings back and centered over the rear wheels as well as restoring the factory arch of the openings. I'll then cut them back and finish them correctly for the larger tires.

Up Next... Fixing the head gasket and shipping the springs to get "fixed". The body panels will go to Peabody Fleet Painting in Sparks to get blasted down to bare metal. I REALLY wanna get everything painted before winter this year.

Finally got the front axles taken care of on Saturday. Lots of stupid stuff was found from PO but now just about everything is replaced AND has new OEM axles. Best part, is that the vibration from the cheap tripod axles is GONE! So nice and smooth on the highway now! Well worth the 8 or so hours in a squat position replacing everything, but damn do the legs hurt still today (3days later). Mark (@Krusty Krab ) I got the socket for you at the next meeting.

Funny thing happened too, was wrenching in the garage and I hear a voice yell "I DIDN'T KNOW THERE WAS A CLUB MEETING HERE TODAY?!" Look up and Will (@WILLD420 ) was sitting in the street in his suburban. Apparently he was wandering the neighborhood after going to watch the protests with kiddo and randomly drove by my house. LOL

Also wanted to throw out there for any of you guys with a 2F, I randomly found that I had purchased a socket for the crank shaft (forgot about it) from when I rebuilt the top end of BeBe and had used it to crank the engine over to find TDC. It is up for anyone that needs.

Also wanted to throw out there for any of you guys with a 2F, I randomly found that I had purchased a socket for the crank shaft (forgot about it) from when I rebuilt the top end of BeBe and had used it to crank the engine over to find TDC. It is up for anyone that needs.

Hey I'll take that! Thanks :)

What size was that? I bought a 1 3/4" socket but it doesn't fit quite right. I could use that as well if Tony doesn't need it right away. Or I could just borrow it.

Gives me an idea of something for the club maybe a tool kit with specialty tools like this that would be stored at someone's house. Then stuff be lent out on temporary basis as needed. This would help having to order and buy stuff you're only going to use sparingly. I can donate the axle spindle socket and maybe others.

What size was that? I bought a 1 3/4" socket but it doesn't fit quite right. I could use that as well if Tony doesn't need it right away. Or I could just borrow it.

Gives me an idea of something for the club maybe a tool kit with specialty tools like this that would be stored at someone's house. Then stuff be lent out on temporary basis as needed. This would help having to order and buy stuff you're only going to use sparingly. I can donate the axle spindle socket and maybe others.
I wanna say it was something like 1 13/16" or something... I will look when I get home and place next to Mark's socket so that I remember for the meeting.

I got my sheet metal in to do the body work...

IMG_20200713_175709.jpg

Passenger side rear quarter panel. Probably overkill since I am only using the area with the fuel filler neck opening. Wheel well arches to restore the factory shape and give me something to work with when pushing the opening back several inches to get the tires centered... That's always bothered me. Rear sill and sill cover. We are patching the outer rockers on both sides with basic sheet metal and need to repair the passenger side kick vent panel.

IMG_20200714_101255.jpg

Next up: Taking it on a field trip to Carson City to replace the head gasket and pull the springs back off. I really want to get paint on it before winter, but the clock is ticking!

Looks like nice metal. Love the rear sill. I bet they sell a ton of those. Mine is pieced together and needs some love. If I could weld I would be all over that.

Ryan will do it for you pretty cheap if you bring the sheet metal and your 40 to his shop. I'd be happy to help get it down to him if you decide to do it. Here's link to the sill and the sill cover.

Next up: Taking it on a field trip to Carson City to replace the head gasket and pull the springs back off. I really want to get paint on it before winter, but the clock is ticking!

Wait... what head gasket are you replacing and why? Didn't you just have that engine rebuilt? I also have proper thread chaser/tap for head bolt holes for the 2F if you want to chase the threads when this is done.

Wait... what head gasket are you replacing and why? Didn't you just have that engine rebuilt? I also have proper thread chaser/tap for head bolt holes for the 2F if you want to chase the threads when this is done.

Chris Douglas rebuilt my engine. He put the head gasket on the wrong way by mistake. So he sent me a new one free of charge and gave $1500 off my 427 stroker build for the Bronco to make it right. Cool guy.

My friend Ryan is a master mechanic with Toyota corporate and lives in Carson City. He's doing the head gasket with me and has $200K worth of tools in his home shop. I should be good to go... of course I say that and we'll need something you have. But yeah I have brand new head bolts from City Racer and the engine's never been run, so it should be good.

Chris Douglas rebuilt my engine. He put the head gasket on the wrong way by mistake. So he sent me a new one free of charge and gave $1500 off my 427 stroker build for the Bronco to make it right. Cool guy.

My friend Ryan is a master mechanic with Toyota corporate and lives in Carson City. He's doing the head gasket with me and has $200K worth of tools in his home shop. I should be good to go... of course I say that and we'll need something you have. But yeah I have brand new head bolts from City Racer and the engine's never been run, so it should be good.
No worries... If you guys end up needing something you got my number, hit me up and if I have it I can bring. Have a few specific 2F stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom