So I'm digging out all the bits of the hard top I haven't seen in two years. I was gonna wait to do the resto on the top and doors until after the main part of the 40 was on the road, but I'll get a discount at my media blaster if I just do it all at once. So I am looking for opinions on the upper rear sill/hatch. Is this worth saving or should I try to find one?
Luckily this it the only part of the entire hard top, doors included that look questionable. Everything else is in pretty good shape.
Press on it with your finger and/or a screwdriver and see if you hear it want to give? Will give you a good indication as to ho bad things are.
As for my electrical gremlins, yeah this has to do with how the installer put in my Remote Start with door lock control. Remote start worked fine (when the starter didn't give me grief) and door locks were fine until they installed the system to allow it to hijack the signal and use the system to take over the door lock control (or more accurately would be coincide with). Already been to them twice for this and looking at a third time to see WTF is going on.
Debating on whether I want them to just disconnect the door lock control and DRONE Mobile (allows for app control to lock/unlock and remote start) or if I want to drop it off for another day in hopes they fix.
YEAH!!! Got a bunch done with the truck yesterday... replaced the upper ball joint BOOTS (not the ball joints themselves) as mine were totally destroyed, process was pretty easy and really getting the ball joint detached was more the issue than anything, bought a small ball joint tool from HF but ended up being too small, gonna take that back today/tomorrow.
Old ball joint boot. Ball joint was still pretty tight so don't think I will need to replace them anytime soon. Untitled by Greg Fisicaro, on Flickr Untitled by Greg Fisicaro, on Flickr Untitled by Greg Fisicaro, on Flickr
Then went on to the scary task of replacing the front diff lower bushing. For those that dont know this is one of the main culprits of the R-D clunk that happens in the 100 series.
Old bushing after getting out with the air chisel. Interior portion was destroyed and fell out when I finally worked the bushing all the way out of the front diff. That is not normal! Untitled by Greg Fisicaro, on Flickr Untitled by Greg Fisicaro, on Flickr Untitled by Greg Fisicaro, on Flickr Untitled by Greg Fisicaro, on Flickr
I got my doors and hatch broken down and ready for media blasting and eventually paint.
No major damage to them, just some surface rust and bit of shattered glass from a previous mishap. I managed to get all the glass removed in one piece.
I found out Douglas Machine accidentally put my head gasket on the wrong way. one step forward...
I got my intake back from ABC Plating. They smoothed out the casting for me and it should be heading to JetHot for a ceramic coating along with the headers i don't own yet.
I purchased an upper rear sill to replace the damaged one, but Nolan sent me the wrong one. So I am going to use it as a patch panel to repair the one I have.
Aaand I bricked my brand new throw out bearing and hub, no pics though. I still gotta dig out the side panels and get the glass out of them too. Maybe this week. On an completely non-cruiser related note, I picked up a 351W block for $65! It seems to be in very good shape and will make a great base for the 427 stroker motor for the Bronco. So now I have the power plant, NP205 and NP203 for the doubler setup. All I need now is a good 4L80E transmission to rebuild and I'll have all but the doubler kit and adapters to bolt it all together.