Builds What did you do with your cruiser today? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I let my 40 kick my @$$ today... Literally everything I wanted to do, I lacked the tools or know-how to finish. :( I am feeling discouraged...

At the risk of a sounding like a complete idiot, how does one separate the transfer case, from the transmission, the transmission from the bell housing, and the bell housing from the block?! I have never had so much trouble with this on my mustangs. I am thinking I am just being too gentle given that these probably haven't been separated in 40 years!

I am currently attempting this on my 68 F power train that has been removed from the chassis, but I'll need to do this on the 4-speed and transfer case on the 78 power train soon enough.

on the transfer case, you dont need a fancy puller shown above you can do it several ways, I ended up making a puller once using all thread and some drilled plates,, be creative using what you have... the end is you want to push that shaft out....

Driving the 80 around on 4.88s now...definitely more responsive. Have not gone offroad or into low range yet. Fuel economy so far about the same at 55 and below - 12.5mpg on average with the roof rack on. Too soon to tell at highway speeds. It still can't make it up the hill from Carson to Washoe Valley in 3rd at 65...so now I'll be even slower on the steeper passes, but on anything less steep than that it holds 3rd where it used to drop to 2nd. I like it.

Packaged up my "new to me" 2F OEM carb that I got for a steal on eBay to be sent to the Cruiser Whisperer JimC yesterday and sent it out. Hard parting with that much money for a complete overhaul and rebuild but know Jim's work and have no doubt that BeBe will run like a top when I get it back.

I just dropped off a hodgepodge of small parts for powder coating and will be picking up my intake manifold and valve cover from them on Tuesday I'll post up some pics once I get them home.

I am also trying desperately to clean up my garage enough to make room for all you good folks come September. :) We are trying to pack up our house so we can move from NW Reno to SW Reno toward the middle/end of Sept. Long story, but the move was not planned. We are sad.

It is going to be a PITA to move with all these spare parts and stuff! :bang:

Pallet boxes... if you need to borrow a pallet jack, let me know, works great for other stuff also, i made some when we moved, then used the sides for shelves, just 2x4 boxes with plywood screwed to a pallet..

I just took everything in the shop and put it in a pallet box, amazing how quick you can load stuff...

I will take some pix, when i go outside..

Pallet boxes... if you need to borrow a pallet jack, let me know, works great for other stuff also, i made some when we moved, then used the sides for shelves, just 2x4 boxes with plywood screwed to a pallet..

I just took everything in the shop and put it in a pallet box, amazing how quick you can load stuff...

I will take some pix, when i go outside..

Thank you! I think I'll take you up on that offer.

didn't take any pix got busy, but basicly make a 2ft by 4ft 2x4, frame and screw plywood to it, then screw it to a good heavy duty pallet, now 2 sides will be shorter than 4ft but you get the idea, you can even put something solid in the bottom if you need to fill it with small stuff, you end up a 4ft by 4ft box 2ft deep, 4-12ft 2x4's and one sheet of plywood make a box...ohh and a scrap pallet,

when scrounging pallets look for the heavy oak ones if you can find them..

when you get to your new place unload remove the sides and screw the boxes into the studs in the garage with a 2x4 support in the front and you have instant shelves,

moving 4 times with the railroad I learned a few things... if you have a forklift/skidsteer/tractor you can even double stack them...

Patent Pending.

02694BA5-866E-4141-918B-3FB0869A78FC.jpeg

Last week or so has been lots of this....
Untitled by Greg Fisicaro, on Flickr

Hoping to finish that up tonight/this weekend so I can prime everything that needs it. Paint in the next couple of weeks. May end up having to take an extra day or so off work so I can do the paint. Dipping down into the 50s at night which scares me for proper cure times.

Shoot some rust converter and a good primer inside while you are there, summit has some in quarts that works well and you can paint right over it..

The rust converter that is...

Yup I plan to... Already painted with a good layer of Prep N Etch to help convert the rust. Gonna throw another coat on then will paint before I figure out the puzzle piece.

From what you started with that is turning into a real nice 60...

From what you started with that is turning into a real nice 60...
Thanks Ray. She has definitely been a work in progress. Now if the damn weather will cooperate and I can get the bumpers off without busting too many knuckles she will be painted here shortly.

Pb blaster And a map gas torch works well on rusted stuff, just soak it a couple days in advance...

yeah they have been soaked for weeks in PB Blaster to no avail. Just going to take a small cut off wheel to the bolts and get them off. CCOT sells replacement bolts, so once I get the bumpers off I will have those coming.
Got some HVLP primer practice last night.

Today the club came to my place and broke down the transmission from my old F motor, loaded up my 40, spare axles, and drive train stuff and helped me haul it to the new house in SW Reno. It was a lot of fun! Thanks guys.

I got my new garage semi-sorted today and the 40 centered in the garage. It is time to get to work! I am STILL waiting on my pistons... I also have to put a little work into my Bronco to get it ready for the club run but at least I can dabble on the 40. I hope to get the tub off the chassis so I can try to get the chassis blasted and coated as well as the tub prepped and painted before it gets too cold to cure paint at room temp.

IMG_20180930_182214.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom