What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (47 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

First time old girl got snowed on where she normally sleeps.

Last edited:
Daughter drove her cruiser, Took the paddleboard to the beach along with one of the dogs.

I followed.

Then we had Gelati!

Last edited:
I followed some of the power steering threads and tried one of the diagnostic tips suggested by a user...

Commenter: "...take off the reservoir cap while the engine is running and check for fluid flow."
OP Responds: "The fluid is bubbling. Not like air bubbles. Just fluid bubbling."
Commenter: "It sounds like your pump has taken a dump."

What was not made clear is that if your pump is (presumably) working properly, there will be an 8" smooth-walled column of fluid ejected from the reservoir and evenly distributed over your entire engine bay as a result of your momentary hesitation holding the cap directly over said column of fluid.

So now I need to know what is a good cleaning agent to spray this crap off...😕

edit - and to those who saw what was coming before even finishing reading...kindly keep it to yourself. lol 🤣

Last edited:
Where do you get this harness?
Innovative Wiring but they dont make it any longer. some folks asked about it so I posted up pics to help them DIY one.

Reactions: b16
The curse of mammoth lakes continues for me....

So far whenever I come to mammoth lakes something happens this includes

Pesky heater hose blowout
Power steering pump blowout
Brake pads needs changing
I’m sure there’s more - just can’t remember now..

Now we can add driver side door handle snapping off in my hand this morning!

And now my wipers seems to have stopped working. I didn’t realize they were frozen and tried to activate them - can’t get them to move now - have I ‘fried’ them? New motor?

But - looks good in the snow :)
View attachment 1906050
More than likely, you just blew the fuse for the wipers. Replace the fuse and you should be fine. This is why people leave their wipers up when it is snowing/freezing.

More than likely, you just blew the fuse for the wipers. Replace the fuse and you should be fine. This is why people leave their wipers up when it is snowing/freezing.
Plus you might be able to find your car! (also Mammoth)

Plus you might be able to find your car! (also Mammoth)
View attachment 1906703

Plus you might be able to find your car! Well there is problem number 1......anywhere in the sierras is NOT car friendly during a storm, should just rent a 4x4 or just tempting fate.

Yeah just tried two different fuses - no luck. Took of the wiper blades completely to see if
I had stripped the splines - look fine. Tried to activate and no movement of the splines - no noise - can’t hear the motor even trying to engage.....
Dead wiper motor?

Taking it out of Park while you drive would help. ;) Now you're just rubbing your working D light in everyone's face!

The P light stays on all the time ever since I converted to LEDs. Doesn't bother me enough to warrant trying to fix it.

Got to find out my parking brake is no more.
Looks like the mangled mess I found when I rebuilt my rear axle last year or whenever that was...

I followed some of the power steering threads and tried one of the diagnostic tips suggested by a user...

Commenter: "...take off the reservoir cap while the engine is running and check for fluid flow."
OP Responds: "The fluid is bubbling. Not like air bubbles. Just fluid bubbling."
Commenter: "It sounds like your pump has taken a dump."

What was not made clear is that if your pump is (presumably) working properly, there will be an 8" smooth-walled column of fluid ejected from the reservoir and evenly distributed over your entire engine bay as a result of your momentary hesitation holding the cap directly over said column of fluid.

So now I need to know what is a good cleaning agent to spray this crap off...😕

edit - and to those who saw what was coming before even finishing reading...kindly keep it to yourself. lol 🤣
I've got a leaking reservoir that's made as much mess. Douse with Simple Green or Power Purple and let it soak, then power wash it off. You could probably just use the degreaser at the car wash, that's how I got mine cleaned up the first time.

The curse of mammoth lakes continues for me....

So far whenever I come to mammoth lakes something happens this includes

Pesky heater hose blowout
Power steering pump blowout
Brake pads needs changing
I’m sure there’s more - just can’t remember now..

Now we can add driver side door handle snapping off in my hand this morning!

And now my wipers seems to have stopped working. I didn’t realize they were frozen and tried to activate them - can’t get them to move now - have I ‘fried’ them? New motor?

But - looks good in the snow :)
View attachment 1906050
Pop the caps off the top of the wiper see if tightening the nut works, mine use to loosen up then not allow the wiper to work

Guess the 37s wont be going on tomorrow... The chef at the restaurant tried to put it out, said sparks were falling from under the hood. The battery was completely melted. I have no idea what happened. We were parked at the back of the restaurant, the fire department was cutting the hood open while my wife and I ate cheesecake. The manager came and asked who drove a white fj80, thought I was going to get another compliment as I do at most places... No idea the extent of damage as of now, will tow it to my shop tomorrow and check it out.

20190217_185751.jpg

20190217_185812.jpg

Guess the 37s wont be going on tomorrow... The chef at the restaurant tried to put it out, said sparks were falling from under the hood. The battery was completely melted. I have no idea what happened. We were parked at the back of the restaurant, the fire department was cutting the hood open while my wife and I ate cheesecake. The manager came and asked who drove a white fj80, thought I was going to get another compliment as I do at most places... No idea the extent of damage as of now, will tow it to my shop tomorrow and check it out.

View attachment 1907067

View attachment 1907068

Ouch!
Do you have any engine bay pics pre-fire?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom