What Did You Do With Your 120 Today? (16 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

^^^^^^^

Is anyone else a little tired of engineers who apparently don't try out their own product before foisting it upon the unsuspecting public???

Yesterday I installed the RRW Molle storage panels. LINK

Stock photos
DSC02473_2000x.jpg

DSC01912_2000x.jpg

More of a PITA than I expected. 0 instructions, holes that needed drilling out, a stripped screw (naturally that held a bracket I put on backwards, so needed to be drilled out)... All in all it was a 30 min job that took about 90 min, and a trip to Home Depot to buy a step bit. And when you tighten everything down it actually tweaks the panels.

+ Lots of room to mount molle bags/equipment to keep valuable floor space open
+ Opens up visibility (vs having seats installed)
+ Lighter (vs having seats installed)
+ covers whole side rather than just over windows
- Less seating area (vs having seats installed)
- No instructions (zip zero none... but yet have brackets with laser cut out arrows, with nothing to indicate where they're supposed to point)
- Had to drill out a couple holes to fit screws due to powder coating
- had to drill out holes for bar at base, PITA since I had to go get a step bit to do it.
- Covers storage compartment on side, and limits access to 110 outlet
- soft screws stripped a couple, even had to drill out one.

Overall I'm happy, but instructions or at least tips would have been MUCH appreciated.

FYI if you're installing one of these, bolt everything together LOOSELY first except the bracket that mounts to the lower seat mount (tighten that fully) then place the bar in the seat bracket and tighten everything up from the bottom up, the panels will tweak as you tighten, but all will work out. first panel took me about 45min, last panel about 15.
Can top (window) piece be installed alone or does bottom piece's mounting provide the stability/mounting for window panel?
It looks like handles are retained, does this mount under them with handle bolts securing the top?
Thanks for sharing your experiences!

Can top (window) piece be installed alone or does bottom piece's mounting provide the stability/mounting for window panel?
It looks like handles are retained, does this mount under them with handle bolts securing the top?
Thanks for sharing your experiences!
Yes they mount under the handles
No, you cannot just use the upper. unless you created your own mount through the side panel to the body.
They seem pretty stout, and I liked that I didn't have to drill into the plastic panels.

I think I'll be plenty happy with them going forward, just minor annoyances during install. I got them on Black Friday for $250 I think so I'm still ****ing happy.

^^^^^^^

Is anyone else a little tired of engineers who apparently don't try out their own product before foisting it upon the unsuspecting public???
Yes. though I'm not sure if this was an engineer issue, or just a "army proof it" problem. when you build something, it's obvious what goes where, and you forget that when you take everything apart and give it to someone new, that it's not always intuitive.

Hell even their own pictures show it, some have the nuts on the back with the allen head bolts on the inside, and the one with all the gear on it shows the bolts backwards.

The product is stout, other than a little powder coating in the holes needing to be cleared they were fine. The bracket was annoying as I had to drill up 2 bit sizes for the rod to fit through. I don't know if that was poor QA or by design for some reason? though I don't see the benefit of drilling a hole, that is ALMOST big enough... then leaving it to the customer to realize they need to drill it out.

This might be my favorite mod yet!
This gives you a super wide cushy spot for your arms. I always hated the factory setup.
Cup holders still accessible. Only down side is that the color match is off...
I reached out to Jim who makes these to see what he thinks. But
the build quality is excellent and very stout. A lot of thought went into these. Time will really tell...

3E6397DC-90B7-4BB1-BA87-CE8FA66C68B2.jpeg

3975D5AF-86AB-4A02-A25A-AB07C59B4BEB.jpeg

This gives you a super wide cushy spot for your arms. I always hated the factory setup.
the build quality is excellent and very stout. A lot of thought went into these. Time will really tell...

View attachment 2182928
View attachment 2182929
I wasn't a fan at first, and when only one is installed... but now seeing it with both I kinda like it. My dog likes to put his head between the seats and this would be perfect to let his head rest on, but when up, keep him back.

I wasn't a fan at first, and when only one is installed... but now seeing it with both I kinda like it. My dog likes to put his head between the seats and this would be perfect to let his head rest on, but when up, keep him back.
Agreed, just one would look out of place but with both it creates this big flat surface that’s very comfy. Also the style is different than factory so the shape doesn’t look out of place when you do both. Looks like it’s supposed to be this way to me. If the color was spot on, which it isn't...

$300 is no joke though. got several mods ahead of it.
I priced importing the center Prado console (600-900) and this was at least half the cost. I agree its steep but it was actually the cheapest option to improve the uncomfortable seats. 👍

Kinda liking that armrest.....went to Gold Valley yesterday. Amazing views, found “ancient?” Gourds growing by a spring, saw some grouse and returned via Deadman’s pass. Loving it out here

58DFA948-9F76-4F51-975E-13CD376BEDB1.jpeg

D366C82F-1613-4899-A446-E678F28A22EC.jpeg

6722157A-F63D-4FD1-9340-9B2873D113C6.jpeg

B16A4C4F-B43C-48EF-BCC9-934E33A029E6.jpeg

Ok so the previous ones were from yesterday, these are from today. Galena Canyon and Queen of Sheba mine. Queen of Sheba was still operated by Pfizer in the 70’s. It looks like a dump. I want to write to them and ask why they don’t go clean it up. I probably won’t.....Nothing “historic” about it to me. Today we saw wild burro, top gun planes doing crazy stuff in the sky and the trails were cool. None (yet) have been crazy technical, barely needing low 4 at all but still getting out there and seeing meat stuff. Saving the bigger badder ones for later.
9BE90D9C-C9FF-4BC1-AF06-8A9EB7A7E4FB.jpeg
3BD9FC5E-B816-41DC-9573-04C5022CCBA6.jpeg
5E41E6F7-9311-401B-B94C-88C49F545E39.jpeg
2042B377-F18E-492E-AAAC-E5B9BB6CFCFE.jpeg

That bumper looks awesome. I didn’t know they still have gx offerings. I would like something like that.
They don't list them on the site and they have to be built one off so lead times vary. But I am stoked with the way it came out and bonus.... it's AL so I added only about 50lbs to the rear including their high clearance hitch. Hitch portion is steel.

View attachment 2182928
View attachment 2182929
I wonder if the tan color is closer?

They don't list them on the site and they have to be built one off so lead times vary. But I am stoked with the way it came out and bonus.... it's AL so I added only about 50lbs to the rear including their high clearance hitch. Hitch portion is steel.
Do you think the factory hitch will fit instead of theirs? I literally just bought the oem hitch that looks similar to that.

Do you think the factory hitch will fit instead of theirs? I literally just bought the oem hitch that looks similar to that.
It might. Not sure if anything is in the the way or not. I had the factory hitch. I didn't like how it hung below the bumper a lot as I drug it in rocks in Moab. The Hefty hitch is high clearance and almost parallel to the bottom of the bumper. Note this bumper is tight to the bottom of the rear crossmember adding to the clearance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom