What can I do with (1) aftermarket leaf spring? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a situation that really p-ed me off, I bought (2) SOR 2 1/2" front springs for my '71 55 from a guy who shipped them to me FedEx.

FedEx LOST one of them and I got the other, so I'm stuck with (1) spring, and not quite my original payment back yet (the seller is trying his hardest to pay me back).

Is there a source out there to duplicate the build of (1) existing spring?

Any suggestions as to what I can do with it (besides shoving it up my _ss)?

SOR no longer lists the 55 2/12" aftermarket spring.

Sounds like it's Fed Ex's duty to pay you. Sounds like you have a great foundation for a killer motorcycle.

A good spring shop might be able to duplicate it. We have a shop capable of that kind of thing around here. Check around.

build a massive monster killing crossbow? that really sucks though

build a massive monster killing crossbow? that really sucks though

We built one for one of my classes in school. It shot full soda cans really really far.

The project was changed the following year because of our badass can launcher, with talk of being dangerous blah blah, suckers :D

make a machete with a para-cord wrapped grip?

Weedhopper: Who is that near you that can build a spring? I'm in your 'hood.

We built one for one of my classes in school. It shot full soda cans really really far.

The project was changed the following year because of our badass can launcher, with talk of being dangerous blah blah, suckers :D

We could build 1.5", smooth bore, black powder cannons in 6th, 7th, and 8th grade machine shop....

:lol:

Take the $$ from Fed Ex and put it towards 2 new springs. It's their deal, not the seller. The seller didn't lose them, did he? One should not expect or even ask the sellers consider this.

Explain to FedEx one is useless without the other, if it could be replaced it will not match/perform equally and you want the money to replace both. The missing spring assy may eventually show up. I did some consulting at the brown truck's distribution centers and it is amazing the number of packages torn open with their contents laying all over. What I found particularly interesting is the room of misfit toys. Tires must now be boxed as they get caught in the conveyor systems and direct every subsequent package behind them in line on the ground. It ain't pretty. Always, always always put both shipped and ship to names/addresses inside the box, attached to the item(s). But I regress.....

Nobody wins.

Never ship Fed Ex again. Look what happened to Tom Hanks.

And for me it was 10th grade machine shop for our black powder cannons. We couldn't drill the actual pilot hole in class but we all knew where to locate it at home. We're lucky we didn't lose an eye...or finger..or worse. I have shrapnel in my neck to this day as a direct result of those poor decisions.

Last edited:
Well, it's definitely a FedEx lesson learned. Kind of a sordid story; Got a great deal on (2) front "new" (installed, never driven) SOR springs, the guy shipped them but didn't declare value or insure them, FedEx showed no tracking after a certain point for (1) of the springs, thru myriad phone conversations with a lot of clueless people I determined that they have no idea, nor do they care about finding a lost package. You should have heard me try to describe what a leaf spring was to a woman.

So the sender filed a claim, and FedEx decided they were only on the hook for $108$ That alone tells me they will not waste any more labor $ trying to find it, even though they are probably tripping over it right now.

The sender relayed this to me and asked me what would make me happy, and I said I'd be happy if I was back to square (1), meaning my original $$ in my pocket, which was significantly more than $108.

So he is taking the high road and paying me back my original $$ bit by bit. He has a Landcruiser parts business, and If I can remember his business I'll pass it along, because he's as straight-up a businessman as I've run across. Thank heavens for that!

And never assume that because it's big and heavy, it can't get lost!

And never assume that because it's big and heavy, it can't get lost!

I was just about to ask, "How in the hell do you lose something that big and heavy..." :confused: :D

FedEx minimum (automatic) insurance is $100 and is free. Anything more than that must be declared and paid for up front. If he didn't declare a value, that's the policy. I ship FedEx all the time and they always ask the value.....assuming you go to the store and don't just fill out the form on-line.

As for how to lose something like that? Easy. Let's assume there was no box...no need for one really. The label was probably stuck on just one spring and they were poorly attached to one another. Through all the conveyors in the system, they got seperated and the spring with no label was left in a HUGE hub in the big bin of all the other sheot with no label.
Imagine how hard it would be to find a bolt in your shop that someone else dropped. Now imagine if your shop was one of about 4 locations over 20,000 square feet. Yeah....uhm....

Maybe the shipper was not at fault, but I'm guessing he didn't package them right. The spings with about six heavy duty zip ties through the eyes would have been sufficient. (Last time I got tires from tirerack, they were zip tied together) Parts that heavy will absolutely rip right through a box if they can shift inside at all.

We could build 1.5", smooth bore, black powder cannons in 6th, 7th, and 8th grade machine shop....

:lol:

Had to be a metallic element, took about 2hrs to build and destroyed everyone else's machine. The longest shot was just extra credit though, there were other goals. I would have rather built an air cannon :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom