What can be done with a 2H (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys,
I’m still tossing up whether I do an engine swap on my 75 series or if I rebuild and upgrade the current 2H that’s in it. It’s got nearly 600k on the clock at the moment and feels quite gutless. What are my options to get more power? Different heads, bore it out, put a turbo on it, or all of the above?

Also, what are my options to mate an auto to it... my situation has started to make the manual gearbox a challenge to me

Hello,

The 2H is a bit underpowered to start with.

You can rebuild your engine. It is the simpler choice. But, again, at around 107 HP the 2H may be regarded as a slug.

You can swap a 12H-T. More power, not much fabrication, it probably fits into the 2H's mounts. However, sourcing parts can be challenging.

Last, but not least, you can swap in a 1HZ or a 1HD engine. More power but more fabrication involved, as well as possibly a gearbox swap.

Hope this helps.

Juan

Hello,

The 2H is a bit underpowered to start with.

You can rebuild your engine. It is the simpler choice. But, again, at around 107 HP the 2H may be regarded as a slug.

You can swap a 12H-T. More power, not much fabrication, it probably fits into the 2H's mounts. However, sourcing parts can be challenging.

Last, but not least, you can swap in a 1HZ or a 1HD engine. More power but more fabrication involved, as well as possibly a gearbox swap.

Hope this helps.

Juan

Hi Juan, thanks for your info. In a perfect world I’d love to drop an 1hdfte in it, but don’t have the money... if I keep the 2H and turbo it, would that be worth the money I save?
Also,
I realize it’s almost sacrilegious to mention petrol on here😂, but what about putting a 2uz in it?
Thanks again

Hi Juan, thanks for your info. In a perfect world I’d love to drop an 1hdfte in it, but don’t have the money... if I keep the 2H and turbo it, would that be worth the money I save?
Also,
I realize it’s almost sacrilegious to mention petrol on here😂, but what about putting a 2uz in it?
Thanks again
People have put those in LJ Cruisers so I would think that would fit with some work.

A 2UZ would be sweet in a troopy. I believe there would possibly be easier/cheaper swaps...unless you just want to be all Toyota gasser.

From @axehead
I have a 1UZ-FE in a LJ73. Mine is LHD. With Aus RHD you will have clearance problems with your steering box. Mine is super tight with the AC compressor and yours will be the PS pump.

As far as I know your will need to find a manual V8 ECU and loom to run with the H151F/H150F and remain legal in Australia. if you are getting the swap engineered they will not allow aftermarket ECUs without an emissions certificate which is mega bucks.

The Toyota V8s are wider than the Chev due to bore spread, and taller due to overhead cams. The bank angle of a LS is 45, a UZ is 90.

Despite the pics above a LS overall is smaller than UZ. LS aftermarket parts like block hugging headers and ancillary relocation brackets are readily available. On my 1UZ the cast log headers are the only thing that will fit inside the chassis rails.

Ready to be shot down in flames.

@clintnz Clints Cruiser Project - Offroad-Express

A 2UZ would be sweet in a troopy. I believe there would possibly be easier/cheaper swaps...unless you just want to be all Toyota gasser.

From @axehead
I have a 1UZ-FE in a LJ73. Mine is LHD. With Aus RHD you will have clearance problems with your steering box. Mine is super tight with the AC compressor and yours will be the PS pump.

As far as I know your will need to find a manual V8 ECU and loom to run with the H151F/H150F and remain legal in Australia. if you are getting the swap engineered they will not allow aftermarket ECUs without an emissions certificate which is mega bucks.

The Toyota V8s are wider than the Chev due to bore spread, and taller due to overhead cams. The bank angle of a LS is 45, a UZ is 90.

Despite the pics above a LS overall is smaller than UZ. LS aftermarket parts like block hugging headers and ancillary relocation brackets are readily available. On my 1UZ the cast log headers are the only thing that will fit inside the chassis rails.

Ready to be shot down in flames.

@clintnz Clints Cruiser Project - Offroad-Express

I have no idea how similar the 1UZ & 2UZ (& their power steering pumps) are, or if HJ vs LJ steering boxes are the same, but while my 1UZ PS pump is certainly close to my RHD LJ71 PS box it does clear & was not an issue for the conversion. The only things we had to move were the radiator (forward ~10mm, I think the HJ rad is further forward anyway) & a few taps on the firewall behind one of the heads. Plus chop the sump on the 1UZ. No doubt it is a big job compared with just swapping in a better diesel six cyl though.

Cheers
Clint

Best use of 2H?

Greenpeace-occupy-oil-ship-Shetland-Islands.jpg

Also,
Thanks again

Hello,

As I wrote, repairing the 2H is the simpler solution. A turbo (and an intercooler if possible) will add some power, provided you keep a close eye on engine temperature, boost and EGTs afterwards. And yes, it is worth the effort and will cost less.

Regarding the 2UZ, it is possible, provided you sort the electronics properly. You can search the forum for conversions. I remember a conversion with an H55F transmission.

Hope this helps.

Juan

The 2H is an excellent engine. Never had one let me down. With reasonable boost and proper tuning, they really come alive.

The 2H is an excellent engine. Never had one let me down. With reasonable boost and proper tuning, they really come alive.

my friend had a troopy with a turbo 2H and a bj74 at the same time and he said that bj74 would straight smoke that turbo 2h. Granted they aren’t the same, but he said it was quite a large difference.

my friend had a troopy with a turbo 2H and a bj74 at the same time and he said that bj74 would straight smoke that turbo 2h. Granted they aren’t the same, but he said it was quite a large difference.
Both my 2H (+turbo) powered Ute and my BJ74 had reasonably good acceleration if you “pushed” them however I seldom, if ever “pushed” them. I understood what they were and what they were not and drove both accordingly. :)

Have you ever seen those archived motor trend videos where they review a brand new 80 series Land Cruiser? They test how fast it is and how well it goes around cones. Kinda hilarious to watch.

Edit: Sorry @blackdognutjob I know my post above doesn't help you at all trying to figure out what to do with the 2H. I posted before thinking about the unwritten hijacking rules.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom