What are you working on? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

At first glance, I thought you had built yourself a tiny house 😂

Too funny I saw a house on a trailer too and thought “damn, that’s camping in style...”

My body guy did all four doors on my 40 using the bottoms from CCOT. He thought they were very usable and I like the way they came out. Of course easy for me to like 'em since I didn't do any of the work!!!!!

Looking good, #Surfishjoe

If you’re worried about keeping them looking clean, I’d powder coat them black... I did mine (not on a Toyota but high maintenance/high brake dust German car) a semi-gloss black and they are super easy to keep clean and look awesome. Easy to touch up with a sharpie or rattle can as well.

Did a tire rotation today so I figured I would test fit the new 17” sequoia wheels I plucked off Craigslist. I wanted to make sure there were no issues with the spacers and see how I like the silver on silver look. Gave them a good scrub and bolted them on with no issues. They actually drove really nice like riding in a limo! It’s been awhile since I drove my Tacoma with stock size highway rubber! After the test fit the bighorns went back on for another round of abuse. Let me know what you guys think- keep them silver or paint them black. The only thing I don’t like about them is the small slot between spokes is going to be a pain to keep clean and the offset is a little more sucked in by .5”

View attachment 2017335

View attachment 2017336

View attachment 2017337

View attachment 2017338

View attachment 2017339

I've been lurking, liking post the past few months trying to get some things done around the house. Had to cancel my plans for Coal Mine, just couldn't find the free time to make it up to Andy's to modify the firewall for 35s. Hopefully soon, I will be picking up a welder while you guys are at Coal Mine to start teaching myself and hopefully fast track some of the mods for the truck.

Here is a picture of the 35s, I never posted once I got them, I need to get the mounted so I can start fitting them. I got a set of wheels from blare so now I can mount up all 5 and have matching wheels:

I also ordered a set of mild A/T tires that resemble the tread pattern of the BFG Rugged Terrains for daily driving use in a 33" variety, these will wrap a set of Sequoia/Tundra 17" wheels like SurfishJoe has that I am getting powder coated a burnt bronze that is close to the Anthracite color of the old truck. Here are the tires (they are an eBay special...):

Also, since a Tundra purchase is still some time out, we opted to get a small utility trailer from harbor freight which required some assembly:

I did a few improvements to the trailer, on being putting some washers with the nuts and bolts, for a cleaner look as well as saving from scratching the paint as the hardware was tightened down. I also switched out the smaller hitch coupler for a 2" ball since that is what I had for all my other receivers, didn't feel like getting a different ball just for this trailer. I also sealed up the trailer lights because well its harbor freight quality and hot glue is their idea of being sealed:

All that is left now is the side rails but I am in no rush since right now it is more useful to me as a flat bed:

Work on the vehicles has somewhat slowed down due to the heat, The Lexus has sat idle waiting for me to pull the Compressor for an R134a conversion, and the 4Runner still has a starting issue that I can not figure out to save my life. I am going to go through and probably change the main lead off the battery to the starter and upgrade the grounds and see if that helps. I also plan on slowly powder coating all the suspension, I kept the stock components so I can slowly coat the lift components, I want to see first how the wheels I am getting coated come out to see how well this company does.

I've been lurking, liking post the past few months trying to get some things done around the house. Had to cancel my plans for Coal Mine, just couldn't find the free time to make it up to Andy's to modify the firewall for 35s. Hopefully soon, I will be picking up a welder while you guys are at Coal Mine to start teaching myself and hopefully fast track some of the mods for the truck.

Here is a picture of the 35s, I never posted once I got them, I need to get the mounted so I can start fitting them. I got a set of wheels from blare so now I can mount up all 5 and have matching wheels:

I also ordered a set of mild A/T tires that resemble the tread pattern of the BFG Rugged Terrains for daily driving use in a 33" variety, these will wrap a set of Sequoia/Tundra 17" wheels like SurfishJoe has that I am getting powder coated a burnt bronze that is close to the Anthracite color of the old truck. Here are the tires (they are an eBay special...):

Also, since a Tundra purchase is still some time out, we opted to get a small utility trailer from harbor freight which required some assembly:

I did a few improvements to the trailer, on being putting some washers with the nuts and bolts, for a cleaner look as well as saving from scratching the paint as the hardware was tightened down. I also switched out the smaller hitch coupler for a 2" ball since that is what I had for all my other receivers, didn't feel like getting a different ball just for this trailer. I also sealed up the trailer lights because well its harbor freight quality and hot glue is their idea of being sealed:

All that is left now is the side rails but I am in no rush since right now it is more useful to me as a flat bed:

Work on the vehicles has somewhat slowed down due to the heat, The Lexus has sat idle waiting for me to pull the Compressor for an R134a conversion, and the 4Runner still has a starting issue that I can not figure out to save my life. I am going to go through and probably change the main lead off the battery to the starter and upgrade the grounds and see if that helps. I also plan on slowly powder coating all the suspension, I kept the stock components so I can slowly coat the lift components, I want to see first how the wheels I am getting coated come out to see how well this company does.

Damn Avi - you have some work ahead of you! Gettin’ busy!

I haven’t been working on the cruiser at all - but I did fire it up and move it out of my garage today to take care of a two axle brake jobe on my brother-in-law’s Xterra.

Once again, letting the 40 idle in the driveway confirmed that in temperatures above about 80-85 degrees outside, the engine heat still outruns the cooling system. After about 20 minutes at idle the temperature in the heads had crept up to about 230F. It cools right down as long as I’m moving but this won’t fly long term. I’ll need to figure out what to do.

I can likely squeeze an 18 inch fan into my existing shroud - which would take up some of the shroud gap (maybe too much). This would improve airflow through the shroud and move a bit more air - not sure if 1” will make the difference here though.

The concern is I’ll only have 3/8” to 1/2” of fan clearance - worried what that means under flex or if I get on the engine.

Why not attach a electric fan to the shroud. Take the engine movement out of the equation all togeather. But it sounds like a larger rad or more cores is the real answer here.

I’m running the stock later FJ40 4-core brass/copper radiator (actually a CFS repop) which plenty of folks have run with relatively good success with a 350 SBC - though I agree the cooling is marginal. I think the bigger problem is air flow. As soon as I get above about 10mph the problem corrects itself and the engine temps go back down to ~190F - basically just enough additional RPM and movement to push the hot air out of the engine bay.

I thought about going to an electric fan - still might, but I like the stone cold simplicity of a belt driven fan off the motor. I also MIGHT have just enough space to squeeze a low profile electric pusher/auxiliary fan in between the bezzel and the radiator - but I’m not sure a 2” wide fan would really move a meaningful amount of additional air.

My 283 ran an 18” fan (which I still have) with a stock FJ40 radiator and no shroud. It had no issues cooling. That’s why I figured I would be safe with a 17” fan and a shroud. I’m surprised the 350 makes that much more heat.

I built the shroud to split in half so it would be easy enough to test out the larger fan - if I run into a conflict with the shroud, I’ll need to go back to the drawing board.

Wheel bearing surgery on the white cruiser seems to have been successful. @YotaFun ... I feel you on the heat outside, It's freaking hot.

Considered ordering the LCP AC pusher fan for the cammo truck, but not enough time for the install before coal mine, so it can wait now. I opted for a set of 4-note Cadillac horns instead since I seem to always be behind people texting at red lights that never look up. @jamarquardt22 I think I need your help with what relay to use and how to wire it if possible.

Do these come with a title?

Yup, trailer has a VIN I am not sure how PA works but here in Delaware u just had to go with it to verify VIN and weight and its registered for the next 6 years, and due to size will never have to be inspected again, just renew registration

Can't remember where I discussing this before - but I yanked my 17" 6-blade rigid fan for the 18" 7-blade rigid fan that was on my 283 to see if it would keep the engine cool. With the previous fan, the engine would push 230 degrees if left at idle or stuck in traffic for 15-20 minutes or so.

I bolted up the new fan yesterday, and let it idle in my driveway for an hour in the 85 degree heat today. Temperature still climbed but seemed to settle out around 205. At that point I had to shut it down because I couldn't keep an eye on it but the early signs are encouraging. It's supposed to be pushing 100 degrees this Saturday so that will be a really good torture test.

The issue now is whether or not I'll catch the fan shroud with the bigger fan - I've only got around 1/2" of clearance in places. It clear just fine when revved but the jury is still out on whether or not it will contact when flexed or under load. At some point when I'm not multi-tasking I'll do some hard pulls and see if anything grinds.

25* drop is huge! I would drive it until it reaches operating temp and the park and let it idle with the hood down. It will warm up way faster that way.

25* drop is huge! I would drive it until it reaches operating temp and the park and let it idle with the hood down. It will warm up way faster that way.

Normally that’s what I do - but I was working from home today and stuck in meetings - really hard to take a conference call in a land cruiser ;)

after a lot of years of consideration we finally got a fridge freezer, ARB 63 qt on sale @ Amazon. I'm installing the slider and doing the electrical. I considered the standard 50 qt, but the 63 was actually cheaper, and hey, you can never ever have enough ice cold beer.

Load up that trailer and come spend some time with my tire machine if you like.
Media, PA

Do these come with a title?

Just got this in the mail.

15635485355271142418504315064258.jpg
15635485895493643387303363020535.jpg

Packed, loaded and heading to Colorado!

The wife and boys are flying out Monday afternoon. Two days to meet them in Denver.

The 100 will ceremoniously hit 200k miles somewhere in the mountains near Telluride / Silverton !
4D50F18C-DC0A-4446-8EEA-D1BC31245D6A.jpeg

Load up that trailer and come spend some time with my tire machine if you like.
Media, PA

I will have to take you up on that offer after I get some things situated at home -_-

Things that need situated at home:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom