What are you working on? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sadly, I have no sense of smell ... like zero. I just know I could feel the heat coming off of it. It makes a whining sound when I turn left and changes pitch a bit with speed. I believe it all started after I pulled the parking brake one day. I also noticed that when it went through the car wash yesterday that the drivers side rear wheel would occasionally not rotate, but just push along the track for the wash.

Andy - If you want to cut the frame shoot me a text and let me know what you think it's worth.

https://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-BF-F8HP-Two-Way-136-174MHz-400-520MHz/dp/B00MAULSOK

^^^ Is this what we are using for coms now instead of a CB? Do I need the HAM License for this? Just trying to get on-board with coms and buy the right thing.
Releasing the park brake is as simple as climbing under the truck with a medium sized hammer and beating the lever arm on the back of the backing plate back into it's home position. You'll see when your under there. There is even a place to hit it built in.

Yup. Chirp is cool.
I figured I since I was so inept at managing the radio VACruiser lent to me last weekend I'd better get myself up to speed.

The key I forgot to tell you is the lock button. So you can't accidentally hit the buttons.

Releasing the park brake is as simple as climbing under the truck with a medium sized hammer and beating the lever arm on the back of the backing plate back into it's home position. You'll see when your under there. There is even a place to hit it built in.

Anyone have a pic of this? If this could solve my issue that would be great.

Anyone have a pic of this? If this could solve my issue that would be great.
Look at the back of the axel and follow the e-brake cable to the back side of the wheels. Hit the lever which is attached to each end of the cable.
You can get this done man!

Hit it here? Are we talking regular hammer or 2lb sledge hammer?
Screenshot_20180507-154619_Gallery[1].jpg

Ok, so I'm hitting that tab towards the front of the truck? Screw it, just gonna go bang on it a bit and see if something moves.

I lubed the crap out of both sides with Black WD-40 and banged around with a hammer for a while. Went for a test drive and saw that Fireball's garage isn't done yet. No squeaking. so it may have worked!!! I parked the truck for months because of that. Hated rolling into places and it sounding like a hooptie.

I was thinking it was the drivers side because that is where I saw it sticking at the car wash and where I felt the heat. Mine doesn't have the back side of that arm. It stops right where the cable goes in and the cable has a bunch of slack in it.

Lubing is really pointless once the bell crank gets to the point that it is no longer free.
Hard to explain why without pix of which i have none. But the tolerance between the bell crank arm and its pivot point is quite generous and by the time enough corrosion is present to bind the action, no amount of lube will free it up.
Disassemby and cleaning is the only course of action.

With all the recent good weather progress at my garage has slowed to a stop :(

Gotta put the paying customers first!

a little period correctness, that's still performance minded.
coil and igniter from a 1975.
dissy from a 77, but other than a vac advance rather than a vacuum retard, identical to what was originally found under the hood of a '75.
points replaced with a pertronix unit.
not shown but put a clean emissions "computer" under the dash, at least you can see it with the drivers side door open.
also bolted the speed counter back on the passenger side firewall..a little odd duck device for the egr system that i think only the 75s and 76s used...actually has a second odometer hidden inside it.

the ol girl will caught rubber in 2nd almost effortlessly.

dissy.jpg

coil.jpg

may18.jpg

Last edited:
I lubed the crap out of both sides with Black WD-40 and banged around with a hammer for a while. Went for a test drive and saw that Fireball's garage isn't done yet. No squeaking. so it may have worked!!! I parked the truck for months because of that. Hated rolling into places and it sounding like a hooptie.

I was thinking it was the drivers side because that is where I saw it sticking at the car wash and where I felt the heat. Mine doesn't have the back side of that arm. It stops right where the cable goes in and the cable has a bunch of slack in it.
Nice work! :cheers:

Watch out folks, he'll be swapping transmissions and setting up diffs by the end of the week :worms::wrench:

This has been my saturdays the last few weeks and will continue to be for sometime.
This pix is actually from last year as i was retubing the boiler.

20170510_132525.jpg

This has been my saturdays the last few weeks and will continue to be for sometime.
This pix is actually from last year as i was retubing the boiler.

View attachment 1699126

I was trying to ask about this but earlier but my phone was not wanting to cooperate with me. My ears perked up when you said steam engine.

Which engine is this are you working on? This is so cool! I watched the restoration of the Norfolk and Western Class J 611 (didn't get a chance to visit it during the process but was there for the day they moved it around the yard the weekend before its first excursion back home to Roanoke), one of my favorite steam engines. I try to follow some other restorations through a facebook page Steam Operations Corporations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom