What are you working on? (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

But I'm sure you can at least roll the 80 out! I'm cutting mine up one piece at a time -_- really should have thought this through....
Its right now a dead horse. But I get what you mean.

Alas if I roll my truck out, in its current state I cant get in without the help of rollback truck.

Well the deconstruction of the 4Runner in the garage has gotten a violent shove forward.

Story as to why:
During the past few times I've taken out my silver 4Runner (which has been few and far between because it's road manners are horrible) I've noted the transmission making a weird boise and acting up. It sounds like a power steering pump going bad which I presume is the transmission pump going bad. And I would sometimes have to shift it in my own to get started from a stop. Yesterday I took the 4Runner to work to get an alignment done, which made the road manners spectacular again, unfortunately key horribly great luck, on the way home, as I turned into my neighborhood, the transmission gave out. I coasted to my house and parked it while I rearranged the drive way to try to get it in. I have successfully parked it probably burning up the transmission even more since only movement I could get was having the engine at redline. I need the garage now empty so I can get the Silver 4Runner in and get the 5spd swap that I had planned for next year done.

Interior is done, engine bay is not too far behind:
View media item 94070View media item 94067
I'm deconstructing because I want to save as many bolts and all the wiring and a few other items before I start cutting it up for scrap:
View media item 94068View media item 94069View media item 94071
I've given myself the goal of the end of the month to get the garage cleaned out, hopefully it works.

I've been experimenting with some powdercoating lately.

IMG_4983edit.JPG

IMG_4984edit.JPG

IMG_4988edit.JPG

Finished up by doing an oil and filter change on Mrs. PAToyota's "new" 2017 Kia (at least she got rid of the Jeep...) along with a tire rotation and overall check of fluids and other items before coming home for a dinner of handmade sausage, olive, green pepper, onion, and cheese pizza.

Saturday Collage.png

Fixed the spring bushing I blew at Fall crawl

4B42104A-ACBB-4AE3-9F29-097BBE6A84C2.jpeg

874183A2-CF9B-4C45-A854-15AC03FEB0D6.jpeg

Was hoping that was binding things up and would prove to be the source of my cruiser’s gangster lean. Alas, it was not...

F431430D-BE31-4D6C-A447-5A989BB69603.jpeg

Still pretty tipped - about an inch passenger....

I always thought cruiser lean was to the driver’s side...leave it to mine to be unique...

Dropped the water tank in the Kamparoo. Attempted to purchase a new one, but the customer service is so poor the guy basically never calls me back to complete the sales. Ended up cleaning this one out as best as possible. Still unsure if water will be potable or not.

24 tiny screws holding the bottom diamond plate on?
20210102_133747[1].jpg

The old hoses were gross.
20210102_133755[1].jpg

Got the tank out and it was remarkably clean on the inside. No mildew at all and just 3 small bugs had found their way in. Rinsed and sanitized it several times, it holds just under 16 gallons.
20210102_133720[1].jpg

Tank is re-installed with all new hardware and I added a piece of tube to the breather outlet up top so it drains near the front drain area for the tank. Just need to get some screens for the water lines and then plumb in the top side past the electric pump.
20210117_131205[1].jpg

Slowly bringing @VBRoamer project back to a functional life.

Took a break from the 4Runner deconstruction to give some attention to the Lexus and the rabbit hole move fallen down from just a radio install:

I pulled the carpet to clean it and found some rust on the driver side floor board.

I had a water leak the after some research I discovered is due to a few things, the rubber door seals that shrink and you can't get anymore and the door hinges that start to go bad over time and can't be rebuilt. So I did some digging around amazon and came up with my own solution:

It's a 3m weather strip that I put around the top half of the door to close any gap up, and it has seemed to work, it rained last Friday and there was no water in the car afterwards!

Now I just have to clean and treat the floor, put some 'sound deading' down (house ducting wrap from Lowe's, $18 bucks a roll). And put the carpet back in which is almost dry after taking a pressure washer to it and scrubbing the best I can to get it clean, it's not perfect but at least it should smell a little less musty from the water it had held:

Also this past Saturday, the frame caps for the Silver 4Runner came in, once the 4Runner gets in the garage, I'll be removing the fuel tank and exhaust to gain access, modify these panels to fit around my sliders and burn them in:

i hop at least by the summer to be able to get out on the trails again! And hop to at least by the end of February have the Lexus tooling down the road again so I can get it to the DMV for it's inspection and registration.

Tis the season to work on firewood for next year. Putting the new tractor to work as a log skidder.
20210110_114942[1].jpg

So much easier to cut this way. I will need to invest in some log tongs, the strap works, but is a PITA. Got tree one of seventeen bucked down to logs.
20210110_115659[1].jpg

Worked through the first 3 cords of wood I had split and stacked 2 years ago. Tarps were meh at best and some of the wood was wet and almost all the pallets had rotted from ground moisture. Brought in 10 ton of crushes stone to widen the storage area and keep the pallets dry from year to year.
20210122_123737[1].jpg

Hoping to get nine pallets in three 12ft lines in this area and swapping from tarps to corrugated steel roofing panels as covers.
20210122_123730[1].jpg

I was already seeing a mud issue starting from getting the tractor back into the woods when working on the other tree, so put in a path for access. All of this area is hidden from view from my house because of the sand mound and orientation. I'm sure my neighbors already know I'm "that guy".
20210122_123732[1].jpg

Last edited:
Spent the weekend trying to address my cruiser lean -

8F8EBA65-F282-4E42-A203-30C9D32CD1A4.jpeg

Swapped rear springs so the “+” spring was passenger and the “-“ spring was driver, then put about 80 miles on it to articulate the springs a bit.

All told the truck still leans about 1/2” passenger - so I definitely think it’s the truck, and not the springs, but the lean is definitely way less noticeable now.

I’m still trying to decide if there’s an issue with my front spring. The shackle angle seems to be, essentially, vertical - and the shackle sits reversed if there’s even a slight load shift off the front driver’s side tire when parked...

In the garage:

666F46E3-24D2-4D76-B215-6E128AECD8FD.jpeg

A bit later in a parking lot:

8C2A59A2-CA14-420D-8F94-093849DA3EF1.jpeg

@RWBeringer4x4 , it could be an optical illusion, but it looks like there's two different front shackles on those front leafs? Are they the same length and geometry if so? Great looking rig BTW!

@RWBeringer4x4 , it could be an optical illusion, but it looks like there's two different front shackles on those front leafs? Are they the same length and geometry if so? Great looking rig BTW!

Thanks! Have you seen pictures of it somewhere else or are you judging it looks good by the back axle? lol

Not an illusion! I'm running two different shackles, but they are the same length, eye-to-eye. The power steering box plate interfered with shackle travel if I mounted an anti-inversion/triangular setup. The shackle could only swing aft about 1/8." Running the bar shackle up front gives me an inch+ more droop before it bottoms out - but the steering box plate should still prevent it from inverting.

Thanks! Have you seen pictures of it somewhere else or are you judging it looks good by the back axle? lol

Not an illusion! I'm running two different shackles, but they are the same length, eye-to-eye. The power steering box plate interfered with shackle travel if I mounted an anti-inversion/triangular setup. The shackle could only swing aft about 1/8." Running the bar shackle up front gives me an inch+ more droop before it bottoms out - but the steering box plate should still prevent it from inverting.
Looks good based on the pictures you posted in this thread above.

Is it possible that the anti-inversion shackle third bolt is rotating up into the frame and limiting the spring eye travel on the passenger side? That could cause the spring to be effectively longer (not allowing it to achieve its natural arc) on that side and cause your passenger side droop.

Looks good based on the pictures you posted in this thread above.

Is it possible that the anti-inversion shackle third bolt is rotating up into the frame and limiting the spring eye travel on the passenger side? That could cause the spring to be effectively longer (not allowing it to achieve its natural arc) on that side and cause your passenger side droop.

I don't think so, though I'll admit I'm not 100% sure I follow, but I think I do - as it sits there's a good 1" gap between the anti-inversion bolt and the spring hanger, and there's no evidence of the bolt having contacted the hanger on the passenger side. I've flexed the truck on a floor jack as much as I could and never noticed anything visibly "binding" or running out of articulation. I will say these springs seem REALLY stiff - but I imagine that's to be expected from a Heavy Front/Heavy Rear kit (plus, the springs are still new).

Honestly, with heavy springs up front I'm wondering if there's just not enough weight to compress them. The V8 is actually lighter than a 2F - I do have a bull-bar but I'm not running a winch, etc. so I'm guessing the load on the front axle is actually only about the stock weight, maybe even a bit less. More weight over the front axle would definitely push the shackles in the right direction, although even 230lbs of me jumping up and down on the front bumper doesn't move the shackle much. FJ40's are pretty heavily loaded to passenger anyway (gas tank, battery, transfer case drop, etc.) so it could be enough to allow for an OK shackle angle on the passenger side, but less than optimal on the driver's side on the heavy springs.

Heavy springs in the back make sense - I have 80lbs of fender flares, 180lbs of rear bumper, 15lbs of tail light guards, not to mention what's left of the hard top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom