What are the best "bang ofr the $" headlights? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Recentlty I almost run-over at night a "camouflage expert" the military could use, (that is what I call these idiots that dress flat black and go out at night walking accross or on the side of street).

The OEM Sealed beam headlights being crap at best I'm asking what is the best affordable buy as a good replacement since I can not test them out:
HID,
LED,
Lens or no lens
or simple good 7" H4 with 65W bulbs?

What 's your experience?

I can't really think of one response, but with lighting the cheapest solution is not always the best solution.

I have HIDs, but they will never have the cut-off of a projector set-up. So with that said HIDs are out.

LEDs. Nah. Save LEDs for the gauge cluster. Also $$$

Conversion housing with upgraded wiring harness, now you're talking. In the mean time a good E-code (IIRC) housing with a run of the mill bulb will outperform the stock units.

Or get some Roundeyes and use the bulbs that come with them. Pretty sure I'm gonna pull my HID bulbs from my Roundeyes, and go with a standard bulb. Then put the HIDs in some offroad lights or sell them. I love the look, but it could be done better.

All of this gathered from my readings on the forum and personal experience.

HTH

I'd go with something like these. They are a 100% improvement over stock.

If you run a relayed positive from the battery, you see even more improvement.

http://www.rallylights.com/all/lights/headlamps/hl79562-7-round-h4-e-code-headlamp-each.html

And for a little more money, these are even better! Longer beam with better pattern.

http://www.busdepot.com/0301600118/

Recentlty I almost run-over at night a "camouflage expert" the military could use, (that is what I call these idiots that dress flat black and go out at night walking accross or on the side of street).

The OEM Sealed beam headlights being crap at best I'm asking what is the best affordable buy as a good replacement since I can not test them out:
HID,
LED,
Lens or no lens
or simple good 7" H4 with 65W bulbs?

What 's your experience?

Last edited:
Last edited:
I had the Hella H4s and they were fantastic, but they cracked from being splashed with water once hot.
I recently replaced them with very cheap Indian H4 copy's, they are thicker glass so might not crack as easily, they are almost as good as the Hella but cost less than $20 USD for both of them!

The biggest "single mod" improvement you'll see with lighting is a dedicated harness. Get one of Eric's (slcfj62) harnesses and you will not regret it one bit. After that, based on what I've learned from Dan Stern, go with Bosch H4 housings. Awesome pattern if you make sure you get ECE housings, sharp cutoff, and plenty of bulb options.

Seriously though, even if you stock with el cheapo parts store sealed beams, an upgraded harness will make a huge improvement.

The biggest "single mod" improvement you'll see with lighting is a dedicated harness. Get one of Eric's (slcfj62) harnesses and you will not regret it one bit. After that, based on what I've learned from Dan Stern, go with Bosch H4 housings. Awesome pattern if you make sure you get ECE housings, sharp cutoff, and plenty of bulb options.

Seriously though, even if you stock with el cheapo parts store sealed beams, an upgraded harness will make a huge improvement.

I agree with all of this. I have an upgraded harness with Bosch housings. I started with a home build harness from Stern's components, but that eventually corroded too much. Now I have an SLC harness.

Check out post 26 in this thread to see some light comparison pics: https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-...s-fire-headlight-harness-upgrade-my-62-a.html

Roundeyes. Best bang for the buck. $100 for the pair (two bulbs and two lens housings) and throw a ton of light compared to the OEM sealed beams. Works with your stock harness as well.

http://www.roundeyes.com/

I ran Round Eyes on the Princess, but found some cheaper equivalents that I used on my FJ40. Found them on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000ES86I6/ref=nosim/ihco-20

20130304_074015.jpg

A harness upgrade, to allow full voltage to the headlights, a good set of 7" H4 optiques (lights),( Cibie, Carello, hella, or Bosch )(, and a good name brand halogen bulb. Read Daniel Sterns lighting website, http://www.danielsternlighting.com/
Regular 12volt H4 bulbs are 60/55w (60 watt high beam, 55 watt low), hella makes a 100/55w bulb, that while not technically road legal, is a great bulb, just be careful of how you use your highs. ;)

First, I upgraded just the housings to Hella H4's and used sylvania silverstars, and it was a significant improvement. Then, I upgraded the harness and the sun came out. If I had to pick one, I would do the harness first.

I made my own harness because I'm an electronics geek, but everything I've seen about slcfj62's harnesses says they are a professional grade/quality, and if I didn't have the time/ability to build my own, I would have purchased slcfj62's. In full disclosure, I've never met the guy or had my hands on the harness, but as someone in the business, I can see from his components and pictures, they look to be quality.

60 lights

LED all the way for markers and dash and backups (cree's rock). But H4 Hella 7" E-code replacement headlights with um....yeah 65watt, I'm sure thats what I legally put in there......and an upgraded relay harness for the lights. Made a *ton* of difference.

Glenn in Tucson

Last edited:
+1

I run this type of set up on 5 Cruisers, its the way to go.

if you look around you can find the Cibie E-code H4's for $50 each(no bulb), which IMOP is the best 7" lamp there is.

A harness upgrade, to allow full voltage to the headlights, a good set of 7" H4 optiques (lights),( Cibie, Carello, hella, or Bosch )(, and a good name brand halogen bulb. Read Daniel Sterns lighting website, http://www.danielsternlighting.com/
Regular 12volt H4 bulbs are 60/55w (60 watt high beam, 55 watt low), hella makes a 100/55w bulb, that while not technically road legal, is a great bulb, just be careful of how you use your highs. ;)

Never had Hella 7" round, but I've had 3 sets of their large rectangular E-code H4's in various vehicles. I'd prefer something else.

Had a set of Bosch H4 5-3/4" rounds in one vehicle. Probably the second best set ever. First was, and I'm not kidding, a set of second hand $20 each (in 1981) H4 conversion lens/reflectors from JC Whitney. They were made in Poland and carried an E code in the lens. In those days that was the mid-priced set of H4's from JCW. I'd still be running them in the FJ if they hadn't come apart.

Most dramatic change was a '91 Suburban with those silly tiny headlights that GM used for a couple of years. Susquehanna Motorsports (rallylights.com) had some rare Bosch H4 conversion's for the Hi/Lo's.

All of that said, relay harness first. Then a set of E-code Bosch H4's would be my suggestion.

I listed the four lights in my order of preference, Cibies and Carellos are very close, both have excellent ( the best) low beam patterns and uniform dispersal, with Hella and Bosch being high quality runners up.
Cibies are still available, and are SO worth the money!!

Harness for sure is the first thing, so you can see what a difference it makes. I have had 85/100W H4 and 100W H1s on for years with Hella lenses and like them so much I don't really feel the need to look for upgrades.

I like light color in the warmer range for rain/fog/snow around here. Susquehanna motor sports (rallylights.com) usually gets my business. They've been solid for many years. The hilux will probably get Cibie lenses when I get to it. It already has a harness. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom