What are some better speakers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I put some Sony speakers behind my factory grilles. They were a little too deep on their own so I installed 1/4" spacers behind each one and lightly trimmed the backside of the grilles. Looks 100% stock on the surface.

It's those for the front and I epoxied the 4" Sony rears into the factory plastic spacer rings in the back. All in all, a healthy afternoon of work. I can get pics later

I put some Sony speakers behind my factory grilles. They were a little too deep on their own so I installed 1/4" spacers behind each one and lightly trimmed the backside of the grilles. Looks 100% stock on the surface.

It's those for the front and I epoxied the 4" Sony rears into the factory plastic spacer rings in the back. All in all, a healthy afternoon of work. I can get pics later

Here's the finished product, well 4 years after it was finished. They're still great

20210708-0708210806.jpg

20210708-0708210806_HDR.jpg

20210708-0708210806a.jpg

Front doors: Pioneer TS-G1644R
Rear doors: Pioneer TS-G400
Front dash: Pioneer TS-A878

Do you know the model name/number of the Sony 4" speakers that you used?

This is what I ran. The factory speaker is super shallow with a wonky ass, barely-there magnet to avoid contact with the window track. The Pioneer fits with relatively little drama. I used a 3" hole saw to remove the back of the factory plastic speaker basket, drilled new mounting hole in the new speaker surround (to align with the OEM screw holes in the basket), and soldered the OE speaker plug onto the +/- leads. Sits flush behind the factory grill without a spacer. Aside from the dramatically improved sound, you can't tell it's not factory.

I run rockford fosgate prime 3-way 6 1/2" in all 4 doors. I got em from amazon. I also put dynamat on the inside of the door. The doors in back needed a 1/2" spacer ring, and the fronts I made a wood ring to fit behind the door panel to help space it out, they sound great.

I found this thread after one of my OEM rear door speakers died in my HDJ80. I just installed a pair of the Pioneer TS-G400 and had a couple of things the might be worth noting for anyone doing this in the future:
1) Here's a picture of what you need to cut off the back of the speaker housing in order to fit the Pioneer replacement in (piece cut out is on the right; remainder of speaker housing is on the left). I used a disc on Dremel and it worked great.
2) The OEM blue speaker wire is positive (this was very hard to see on one of my speakers)
3) The OEM speaker cover can be used to secure the Pioneer speaker in its housing, without anything else needed (i.e., nothing specifically gluing/attaching the Pioneer speaker to the OEM speaker housing) At some later date I might add 2-sides tape between the speaker and housing, but for now the three friction fasteners are holding everything fine.

Screen Shot 2021-07-26 at 8.24.34 PM.png

Thanks for posting these part numbers. Do the TS-A878 fit in the front dash w/o any modifications. I pulled the passenger side on my '93. The outer mounting holes are spaced 4 3/4" and the inner are roughly 3", which don't seem to match the specs for the A878. I can think of various ways to make them work, but they all require modifying the OEM bracket. Want to make sure I'm not missing something.

dash-speaker.jpg

Thanks for posting these part numbers. Do the TS-A878 fit in the front dash w/o any modifications. I pulled the passenger side on my '93. The outer mounting holes are spaced 4 3/4" and the inner are roughly 3", which don't seem to match the specs for the A878. I can think of various ways to make them work, but they all require modifying the OEM bracket. Want to make sure I'm not missing something.

View attachment 2868967
I think I clipped those ears of the stock speaker and screwed the Pioneer speaker to them. That, or something very similar to that. They’ve held for 10years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom