What are some better speakers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just installed the pioneers in the front and rear doors w stock HU and they sound really good. I also have a phone connector so I can play digital music.
I’m also a guy that has spent stupid money on various types of audio systems and yet the simple solution in my 80 works!

I installed these front and rear doors and really like the sound quality. Initially planned to keep the stock covers but since couldn’t with the rears just went with the pioneer look. Then planned to pain but I like the look now.

72177BB8-67F7-4625-BB88-C137764AF597.jpeg

If you plan on doing a sub, and are using two-way speakers, then I don't think there will be a huge range in sound quality out of the door speakers. I use Clarions in the front and rear, both fit under the factory covers and are a significant improvement. I don't run an amp for the speakers, they're off the head unit. I do run a separate small amp for the sub.

Sure Hertz, Morel or Focal will be better speakers - but I just want something clear that I can hear over the tires.

Have you considered finding a speaker that has a cover that you like the shape of, and then painting the speaker cover to match the interior? That will get you close to a factory look with a much better sound
I already have OEM speaker covers. No sense in me putting time into painting some that I don’t like. Just think it’s unnecessary when I could find some speakers that I can use OEM covers for. That’s all.

If you plan on doing a sub, and are using two-way speakers, then I don't think there will be a huge range in sound quality out of the door speakers. I use Clarions in the front and rear, both fit under the factory covers and are a significant improvement. I don't run an amp for the speakers, they're off the head unit. I do run a separate small amp for the sub.

Sure Hertz, Morel or Focal will be better speakers - but I just want something clear that I can hear over the tires.
What sub and amp did you use?

Nothing exciting - I used the factory enclosure. A Pyle 6.5" sub and a vintage Alpine mono amp (KTP-190U). I also but a bunch of Poly-fil in the empty space. I would like a better sub, but I'm happy with the amp.

I have a Tang Band subwoofer in my MR2. It is higher quality - I may go that route with the 80.

I have the standard pioneer speakers that a lot go with but I am personally not very impressed with them. I wanted to retain the factory grills so that's why I went with them but honestly if you're looking for decent sound it's probably best to forget about the factory covers.

I have the standard pioneer speakers that a lot go with but I am personally not very impressed with them. I wanted to retain the factory grills so that's why I went with them but honestly if you're looking for decent sound it's probably best to forget about the factory covers.
How much RMS? The full set of 6 with 45w RMS to ‘em sounds pretty damn good. That’s with a good 12”

I don't disagree - I think a lot of audio stuff is highly subjective. If you're going to Dynamat your truck, run a $1000 Class D amp, Focal components and a Morel Ultimo Titanium sub, then the Pioneers are garbage. I just wanted better clarity and the ability for the kids to watch movies. I am happy with the Clarion/Pioneer headunit set-up I have. I went with a 4 channel Pioneer Premier amp, Infinity components and a powered sub in the FJ62.

Here ya go OP...

I am looking for the same thing as you
I can confirm the TS-G1644R are not a direct fit and won't fit in the rear doors without modification.
OEM looks like it's 4"
Not sure why people say these Pioneers fit because they don't. Guess I didn't do enough research...

My LX currently has some Polk speakers in each door, and they have their own covers. Which I do not like the look of them at all. Bought some OEM speaker covers for the front door panels. What speakers can I use that will work with the OEM covers? I was looking at the Pioneer TS-G1644R, but was wondering if there was a newer/better speaker out there. Not looking to put spacers on either. Want the OEM look. TIA

I can confirm the TS-G1644R are not a direct fit and won't fit in the rear doors without modification.
OEM looks like it's 4"
Not sure why people say these Pioneers fit because they don't. Guess I didn't do enough research...
The pioneers will fit with the OEM speaker covers. My brother has the exact ones in his and they work with no modification. That’s for the front doors, don’t know about the rears.

OEM looks like it's 4"
The equivalent model 4” speaker fits fine. That’s what I’m referring to in my posts.

I just installed a pair of Polk DB652 speakers in the front. The original pancake set was inoperative. I took advantage of one of the last +50 degree days here in Wisconsin to install some sound deadener inside the door. The Polks do not fit in the original factory position very well- they need about 1/2" spacer and I was not sure how much the door liner would bulge like that. I did as several other folks here suggested, and mounted them on the outside of the door panel- just drilled a few holes through the speaker mount points and into the door sheet metal, then screwed them in. Simple, plenty of clearance, and works well. Not a factory look, but I can't see them when I'm driving. The speakers sound pretty to very good. I am not going to be too judgmental because the woofer in the back is out of commission and the other supporting speakers are original. Basically I have 2 nice front speakers and a few lame ones that are trying their best... But I like the Polks enough that I'll upgrade the rears to them when I have time.

My LX currently has some Polk speakers in each door, and they have their own covers. Which I do not like the look of them at all. Bought some OEM speaker covers for the front door panels. What speakers can I use that will work with the OEM covers? I was looking at the Pioneer TS-G1644R, but was wondering if there was a newer/better speaker out there. Not looking to put spacers on either. Want the OEM look. TIA
Those speakers are no longer available it seems. Are these the same

Pioneer PIOTSG1620F TS-G1620F?​

Any updates to this thread’s original request?

I am also looking for plug and play to replace the oem front door speakers on my ‘97 LC.

No mods required whatsoever. Fits underneath the factory speaker covers. Bolts right in like the stock units. Delivers similar levels of audio quality mas o menos. I just want them to work like stock ones just new and aftermarket.

A link to purchase would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Any updates to this thread’s original request?

I am also looking for plug and play to replace the oem front door speakers on my ‘97 LC.

No mods required whatsoever. Fits underneath the factory speaker covers. Bolts right in like the stock units. Delivers similar levels of audio quality mas o menos. I just want them to work like stock ones just new and aftermarket.

A link to purchase would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
The TS-G1644R, which is not discontinued by pioneer, just by Crutchfield, requires a spacer to fit, it looks like maybe 1/8" or 3/16" in this installation thread. Pioneer says it has a mounting depth of 1.625 inches, but Crutchfield says it's 1.6875 inches.
Another '97 Front Speaker Install (Pioneer TS-G1644R) - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/another-97-front-speaker-install-pioneer-ts-g1644r.1068422/
All the spacer does is bulge the door panel very slightly, looks like it's not a big deal but it is another component to get.

The newer TS-G650 and TS-G1645R have a Crutchfield verified mounting depth of 1.5 inches, so they can probably go in with no spacers.

Thanks for the update but still looking for that 🦄 factory ez button replacement. Else I’ll try to find a working stock speaker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom