What am I missing? (Factory soft top question) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Under the moonlight, the serious moonlight.
As far as the bows go, is this it? This is only the second soft top that I've seen in person and the other didn't have anything.
DSCN0956 (Medium).JPG
DSCN0957 (Medium).JPG

Looks like you've got all the parts except for #1 in brew8s' post. I ordered that part from Spector but you may be able to get it from Toyota . Part #170 I ended having to fab myself.

The old Kayline windshield channels for tops and bikini tops works with the factory top as well. Ehsan sells them too. Looks like everything else is there, although I can't see the small angle brackets on the windshield that hold the section above the doors, or the brackets that hold the rear hoop into the tub.

Nice solid looking project you have there!

oem windshield rail :

OEM Catalog
Item Number MSRP Core Price Price
5631390300 $66.76 $0.00 $53.41

RAIL, WINDSHIELD FRA

Is this part still available from Toyota, I have a rail from from $pector Offroad bikini top is it exactly the same as the Toyota OEM one? Can someone please post a picture of the OEM rail?

Thanks.

Other than the bows, you should have a dash light with a switch to the right of the glovebox, two ring eye bolts at the front of the door jams, and some oversized nuts on the sides of the tub behind the seats. The eyes and the oversized nuts are used to attach the safety straps.

There are also some long bolts with tubing that attach to the sides of the tub, towards the back. I don't know what they're for, probably some strap attachment.

I've got a pair of the long bolts with the tubing and a pair of the oversized nuts for the safety straps. If you need them, let me know. I took them from a '73 FST in a junk yard. That rig is the one below with blue over orange. I couldn't get the #170 and #175 brackets. The bolts were rusted and I had no power for my dremel tool.

Eye bolts:

attachment.php

Long bolts with spacers (and the #170 and #175 brackets):

attachment.php

Oversize bolts:

attachment.php

Dash light:

attachment.php

Other info in this post about model #s and VIN plates:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/86237-how-verify-if-rig-factory-soft-top-model.html

Last edited:
Is this part still available from Toyota, I have a rail from from $pector Offroad bikini top is it exactly the same as the Toyota OEM one? Can someone please post a picture of the OEM rail?

Thanks.

no not the same...
122-01-U from sor is the oem one....you probably have the bestop type windshild rail.

this is bestop:
bestop-windshield-channel.jpg

Other than the bows, you should have a dash light with a switch to the right of the glovebox, two ring eye bolts at the front of the door jams, and some oversized nuts on the sides of the tub behind the seats. The eyes and the oversized nuts are used to attach the safety straps.

There are also some long bolts with tubing that attach to the sides of the tub, towards the back. I don't know what they're for, probably some strap attachment.

I've got a pair of the long bolts with the tubing and a pair of the oversized nuts for the safety straps. If you need them, let me know. I took them from a '73 FST in a junk yard. That rig is the one below with blue over orange. I couldn't get the #170 and #175 brackets. The bolts were rusted and I had no power for my dremel tool.

Eye bolts:

Long bolts with spacers (and the #170 and #175 brackets):

Oversize bolts:

Dash light:

Other info in this post about model #s and VIN plates:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/86237-how-verify-if-rig-factory-soft-top-model.html

Think I have those covered.
DSCN1002 (Medium).JPG
DSCN1004 (Medium).JPG
DSCN1003 (Medium).JPG

Looks like you've got all the parts except for #1 in brew8s' post. I ordered that part from Spector but you may be able to get it from Toyota . Part #170 I ended having to fab myself.

Is thit it? It doesn't strike me as genuine Toyota, but the holes do line up with bolts on top of the windshield frame.
DSCN1006 (Medium).JPG

Is thit it? It doesn't strike me as genuine Toyota, but the holes do line up with bolts on top of the windshield frame.

Yep that looks like it. Many be a little rusty but that looks like the OEM part. It's a one piece at least thru 73 not the two piece that was posted. I got soft top doors minus the handles if your interested.

So what year? A 69?

John

Yep that looks like it. Many be a little rusty but that looks like the OEM part. It's a one piece at least thru 73
John

x2......i think that all oem winshield rails were one piece...either with holes like you have or they were welded on like the "heavy windshilds" ....most people call them the "split windshields"...only time i have ever seen them welded

hope i didnt confuse things with the bestop rail...i was answering a seperate question:)

Yep that looks like it. Many be a little rusty but that looks like the OEM part. It's a one piece at least thru 73 not the two piece that was posted. I got soft top doors minus the handles if your interested.

So what year? A 69?

John

Hey John, thanks for jumping in. It is a '69 yes. It's more of a parts rig than a project. I wanted to buy it for the hood, fenders, windshield frame and maybe the bib, but I found some of those while waiting for this one (didn't think I'd get it). But the price was still right, so I picked it up anyway. I'm mostly interested in the windshield frame which is in better shape than the replacement one Dave got me after my roll over. However, with this truck being somewhat complete, I'm suddenly unsure of my plans.:meh:

if you have an old rope style channel (round), it will work, but the newer lip style channel (flat channel) won't. i use an old kayline rope style bikini channel with my oem top.

if you have an old rope style channel (round), it will work, but the newer lip style channel (flat channel) won't. i use an old kayline rope style bikini channel with my oem top.

I can post a picture tonight. I hauled my 73 back from up north a few weeks ago and brought all the soft top parts with it. It is square tubing not round but the opening is on the bottom not the front.

This 69 looks like it needs to be restored unless I'm missing a bunch of rust somewhere. If you don't want it sell it to someone who does and make a few bucks. Don't find two many factory soft tops with all the parts still there. You don't need a tub for your titled 63?

John

Last edited:
here's mine:

top6.jpg

top1-1.jpg

not sure, but does the rear configuration change abit between regular and rear ambulance doors?

This 69 looks like it needs to be restored unless I'm missing a bunch of rust somewhere. If you don't want it sell it to someone who does and make a few bucks. Don't find two many factory soft tops with all the parts still there. You don't need a tub for your titled 63?

John

There's not a lot of rust. It might even qualify as "East Coast Mint". I'm hesitant to part it out because your right, you don't find too many FST's will all the parts. And since the only thing I really need from it is the windshield frame, why mess up a matching set? I'm leaning towards selling for that reason, that and the few parts rigs in the valley have sold for decent amounts of money.

I do need a tub for the '63, but that project is so far down the line and I'm thinking ambulance doors for that one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom