What about power steering PUMPS....? (later 2F) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

theferg

SILVER Star
Threads
Been searchin' and readin' for 5 hours now for info on power steering pump info for a late model 2F (specifically an FJ60). Everybody always posts about which box to run and why, but not much info about the pumps. My power steering pump has been dumping out it's fluid for quite some time now and I think the recent upgrade to 35s has killed it. Noisy and leakin' like a banshee. I WON'T pay for a new OEM one and for that matter don't care to get an OEM one. My smog pump is gutted and just there for a belt tensioner. So I'm thinking take them both out and replace with a power steering pump with a remote resevoir and some sort of air compressor. Seems like if you got a pump with a remote resevoir you could put it down low (smog pump location) and mount a York above... I don't want to mess with anything on the passenger side either--I'm keepin' my A/C cause it gets F'ing hot here in the summer. And don't anybody try to tell me to search or check Technical Links or search other sites 'cause I've been doin' that for the past 5 hours!!! ::) :p :flipoff2: (but if you know of a thread with this info, post it up 'cause i didn't see one!)

On a side not, found info that a tercel power steer pump can be easily adapted to the smog pump bracket. (PinHead you out there?) Any chance that sucker would last pushin' 35s? Is it possible to modify the flow and such like can be done on Saginaws (as per westexasoffroad.com)? What about a mini truck pump with remote resevoir? Rob Blumel lists that as a tentatively good mod (under Tech links, SOA observarions), but no info on if he ever did it or anyone else for that matter...

Anybody got any of these pumps in with a york (or other compressor I guess) on the DRIVER'S side? And pushin' 35s or 37s? Any info?

-Ferg-

A guy in the GA cruisers runs a Tercel Pump on the DS of his 2F. Home made bracket. Turning 33's with Minitruck PS. Can't comment on it other than that. I'd need to look at a 60 2f, but I wonder if the york 2f/F bracket I bought for $70 would work on a 60? Someone post some pics of a 60 engine bay and I'll tell ya. If it does, that would free up the entire DS for a PS pump as it includes provisions for a 2F alt. on the PS with the York.

[quote author=CruisinGA link=board=1;threadid=7721;start=msg64794#msg64794 date=1069195128]
I wonder if the york 2f/F bracket I bought for $70 would work on a 60? Someone post some pics of a 60 engine bay and I'll tell ya. If it does, that would free up the entire DS for a PS pump as it includes provisions for a 2F alt. on the PS with the York.[/quote]

I've seen that setup on an FJ60. The only problem is that you have to loose the A/C. The Alt drops down to about where the A/C compressor sits now and the York mounts up where the alt used to be. I NEED my A/C--the little bit that it does do is worth it for me to keep it for sure.

Any other info?

-Ferg-

at $330 for an new OEM pump that should last 7-10 years I don't think that is a bad investment. $250 for a rebuilt blue pump that might last 2 years is a waste of time.

I picked up a tercel system for a friend to install and was not pleased at the "ready fit" idea of it. High pressure opening is on the block side which makes for a tough fit. It mounts to a smog pump bracket and is really sloppy needing washers/shims etc. It has a tall reservoir on it which still makes the vibration thing come into play. Last, they are just as expensive new as a LC pump if the donor is dead.

Mudrack makes a saginaw pump bracket which may work on a smog style 2F. It's that, or make your own.

35's are max for an OEM pump pressure from what I have been told, but should work.

[quote author=rick_d link=board=1;threadid=7721;start=msg64809#msg64809 date=1069197466]
at $330 for an new OEM pump that should last 7-10 years I don't think that is a bad investment. $250 for a rebuilt blue pump that might last 2 years is a waste of time.[/quote]

I realize that, but I'm tryin' to fit a york on the drivers side along with a power steering pump. And I believe there are plenty people runnin' saginaw pumps for longer than 2 years...

I picked up a tercel system for a friend to install and was not pleased at the "ready fit" idea of it. High pressure opening is on the block side which makes for a tough fit. It mounts to a smog pump bracket and is really sloppy needing washers/shims etc. It has a tall reservoir on it which still makes the vibration thing come into play. Last, they are just as expensive new as a LC pump if the donor is dead.

If I'm not mistaken, there was a year or two of the Tercel that had a remote pump (oops) resevoir--I think it was the later years of the early 4x4 ones. Not sure, but I"m trying to find out for sure.

-Ferg-

P.S. Rick, there's a little something on it's way to your house...

[quote author=theferg link=board=1;threadid=7721;start=msg64797#msg64797 date=1069195582]
I've seen that setup on an FJ60. The only problem is that you have to loose the A/C. The Alt drops down to about where the A/C compressor sits now and the York mounts up where the alt used to be. I NEED my A/C--the little bit that it does do is worth it for me to keep it for sure.

Any other info?

-Ferg-
[/quote]
The bracket I'm thinking of moves the alternator over to the side of the york, leaving the bottom bracket free I would assume. (if it would work at all).

blue are rebuilt OEM pumps....

After being advise to look at MAF, they have a few options but they would still be dodgy to place an order with until proven otherwise (within last 3 months I have had a false report of a stocked item that was confirmed to be NOT IN STOCK by a good friend and MAF insider).

they have a long steep gutter to climb out of in my book.

[quote author=CruisinGA link=board=1;threadid=7721;start=msg64843#msg64843 date=1069201209]
The bracket I'm thinking of moves the alternator over to the side of the york, leaving the bottom bracket free I would assume. (if it would work at all).
[/quote]

Didn't run accross any info on this one while I was searchin'...That might work, but seems like you would need a double pulley on either your A/C or York that would run to your Alt. Could work though. PinHead has a setup sorta like that--his has two Alts up top and the York below. Double pulley on the york that runs the second alt. Seen Here. Pretty sweet.

[quote author=rick_d link=board=1;threadid=7721;start=msg64849#msg64849 date=1069202455]blue are rebuilt OEM pumps....[/quote]

Whoops! :p I obviously didn't know that...

Thanks for the good info so far though guys.

-Ferg-

Why not put the Saginaw (GM) pump on top and mount the air compressor where the smog was.Here is a link to the bracket I make for the FJ40. If the motor mounts are the same as a 40 it should fit. Bill

http://photos.yahoo.com/wdorry

There are also york's on certain trucks that come mounted with saginaw PS pumps attached to the top of the compressor. Rig up one of those on the DS, keep your A/C and alternator stock on the PS.

I had problems with my power steering as well. I sent out the steering box to get rebuilt,got a new OEM pump and ran a small transcooler with a filter. I do not have any problems. My steering box, when I took it off was full of metal . Now I have a system that runs much cooler and has more fluid.

Mike El Paso, TLCA 8009
1985 FJ-60, OME HD, Rare STOUT bumpers,sliders,roof rack, 40 gallon tank and
M-416 trailer.
My M-416 trailer http://www.webphotos.com/list_photos.asp?mi=3&smi=1&a=83474
My FJ-60
http://www.webphotos.com/list_photos.asp?mi=3&smi=1&a=76026
Peru
http://www.webphotos.com/list_photos.asp?mi=3&smi=1&a=79035
Bolivia
http://www.webphotos.com/list_photos.asp?mi=3&smi=1&a=76918

Interior pictures
http://www.webphotos.com/list_photos.asp?mi=3&smi=1&a=92171

Big Bend Texas
http://www.webphotos.com/list_photos.asp?mi=3&smi=1&a=110340

This same thing was posted on CCOT. You cant get much better than the OEM pump. Figure out a way to mount the compressor below the pump on the air pump bracket or just buy a CO2 tank. OEm pumps can easily turn 35-37s. After that I would go ram assist but for 35s it is no issue. best bet is to buy a NAPA rebuild with a 3yr warrenty. Every 3 years or so return it and get a new one. I doubt you will have any issues with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom