What 80 stuff surrounds your desk? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I'm cleaning off my desk in preparation for tax time and because it's pissing me off I can't put my feet up on the desk while surfing Mud without knocking stuff off. As I organized it, a pile of stuff dedicated to 80 things I found began to grow. Here's what's in it so far:

An alignment report from when I had the shop adjust my 97 slightly toe in for better handling.
A report detailing flow from each injector before/after when I had them cleaned.
A copy of an 80s Cool post by Craig Vincent from 3 years ago detailing speed and horsepower drag of the 80 from 50km/h to 300km/h. TECH CONTENTt - in case you're wondering, it would take 627 hp to get an 80 up to 186mph (300km/h).
A copy of Photomans coolant overflow mod where he adds a level sensor. I was going to do this on both trucks in case they ever blew a HG so we'd get a head's up before damaging the engine. Now that both HG have been replaced, it's on the back burner.
A copy of Raven's Alternate EGR tests for P0401 - great stuff.
A picture of my 80 when it was near new back in '94 towing a 9000lb trailer from CA to ID.
Name and address of the guy who hit my 80 hard enough to slided it while it was parked in an isolated parking lot. Unfortunately for him, he hit the ARB bumper only and his boat trailer was unusable while I got 8 scratches I still have not touched up.

I'm not done yet. What 80 stuff do you guys have within arm's reach at your computer?

DougM

Does the warehouse count as "within reach"?

:lol:

- 4 old coil springs
- Stock front bumper
- Damage multiplier
- Cheesy roof rack rails

oh crap I thought you said "deck" not desk..............topic for a new thread?

Does the warehouse count as "within reach"?

You can't play Dan :flipoff2:

• My desk has 14 "to-do" lists for the Cruiser. Most are different, many have the same items on it. I have no idea why I start a new "to-do" list every couple of months.
  • I have part numbers. Lots and lots of part numbers scribbled on the backs of the to-do lists.
  • The FSM and EWD are on the table next to the desk but that still counts as the desk.
  • A stack of Toyota Trails, 2 of which have never been opened.
  • A receipt for a leather steering wheel cover that is at the mail drop. That reminded me to go pick it up and hopefully scratch off another item from my to-do-list(s) if I can find the time to install it this weekend.
  • The Operating Manual for the HAM radio that is in the Cruiser (guess that qualifies as 80-related)
  • 2 magazines from 4-Wheel-Parts that are used to level one of the 2 monitors. (Don't ask.)
  • The stack of receipts from the re-gearing project. All stapled nice and neatly together.
  • A CD containing videos and pictures from CM07. (That is what is on the hand-written label but it might be cleverly disguised p0rn ;) )
  • A "Broken Birfield Bar" sticker that CruiserDrew sent me last week. Long story that I would rather not talk about.

That covers the 1st layer. It will take some digging to get to the bottom.

-B-

Front axle rebuild kit
New front rotors
100 series pads
And an invoice for the parts :/

I can see my desk now. All of it. Even wiped down the desk three times with wet and dry paper towels and incredibly there's a 1" triangle that I missed all three times! Whew. Now I can see a piece of tape with Dan's phone number and something cryptic about a filter and a couple mudder addresses to remind me to send out their Head Gasket DVDs which were sent months ago. Even the computer speakers sound better with a clean desk to shoot across.

So. Since it's my thread I wanted to share some 80 appreciation around as well. As the 80 ages and SUVs start to look more and more uniform I find I appreciate its exterior styling more and more. I'm not going to slam the puffy slab sided direction Asian SUVs have taken as that's a matter of taste but they sure do make the 80 look good. Noticed this the other day when it was sunny and I washed both 80s. As they're both dark colors they look really glossy when clean. Ran errands in one and every time I came out to the parking lot I noticed how sturdy/retro/proud it looked parked among the Highlanders, Suburbans, and minivans of all shapes and colors. That flat roof and the vertical sides on the 80 with an impossibly long hood really is coming into its own. I've always liked how the 60 series wagons aged - looking better each decade - but I think the 80 is going to turn out to be the looker of the solid axle LandCruisers. The 80 also stands really tall and I guess I haven't noticed but SUVs are being designed lower and lower to reduce wind resistance and roll over tendancy. It was a beautiful sunny day and we have a few feet of snow on the ground. For some reason (maybe I was looking and expecting it having washed) people were noticing the Cruiser more, too. Punky kids with skateboards, the guy at a light in a new S Class, and definitely other Dads in minivans. Made me feel good, and I realized I've had an 80 in the family since 1991 - 18 months after Ronald Reagan left office.

Wow. So, some 80 reminiscing for the day. In fact, today was a good reminder why I like these beasts so much. One took my wife and son up to ski for the day safely while my daughter wasn't feeling so well. So I slid our old washing machine into the other one and we dropped it and a 6 foot wide roll of old linoleum at the landfill. They'll do anything, basically. A vehicle for those who want to do everything in life.

OK, gotta get off this ramble....

DougM

three light bulbs that I pulled that need replacing, a to do list and a bunch of reciepts.

Donaldson 10" prefilter is setting on the top shelf, tons of pictures and instructions for the 4x4labs rear bumper kit, and a big pile of receipts for Cruiser stuff....

I've got my records book on the desk. Huge 3 ring binder with a ton of pages of handscribbled records of what I've done, measurements taken, specs on oil and what not.... :)

Can the 80 itself count as a desk? 'Cause I have loads of things in there, everything from starter contacts and old PO receipts to complete wire harnesses.

I'll play...

• Dome light from CDan for rear area cargo light
  • Brand new FSM
  • Set of 4 new HIR bulbs
  • a stack of American Toyota and Slee Offroad receipts
  • baggies full of interior trim bits (headliner take-down)
Not too bad, I think.

* Variety of stickers (TLCA, Slee, FJ Trail Team, SnT 2005)
* My new HT & Mobile radios & accessories (waiting for "stuff" to install mobile)
* CM08 paperwork
* Disassembled switch for in-cab winch controls
* Box-o-joy from Dan-the-Man (new switches, belts)
* Managing 12 Volts (book)
* Hand-drawn wiring diagrams for dual-batteries, aux power, winch
* List of various winches & specs in table format
* Post-it list of CDan parts
* Post-it list of Slee parts

And to think I recently "cleaned up"...

One very long credit card statement.

it did have my IH8MUD stickers, but my daughter helped me put those on so nothing now

my keys :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

new pr. of front & rear Pioneer stock speaker replacements...and my trusty FSM:cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom