1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Welding 101

Discussion in 'Tools and Fabrication' started by Iceaxe, Nov 21, 2017.

Where did you learn how to weld?

1. Figured it out myself

62.1%
  2. Took a class

27.6%
  3. Online course

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Became fully certified

10.3%
  1. Nostradamus

Nostradamus SILVER Star

I took an adult education class offered through the county extension office and held at a local community college shop. Was 1 night a week for a couple of hours for something like 6 weeks (was in the mid 1980's, so I don't recall exactly). Was me and a few farmers who wanted to gorilla weld on their farm equipment. We did some stick welding, simple wire feed stuff, and oxy/acetylene using old coat hangers IIRC. I'd say it was a step below a normal community college class, but a step above nothing. I've not had nearly enough practice to be any good, but have a 110V wire feed welder that even my kids can use, and a 220V AC buzzbox stick welder. Someday when I have more time, I'd like to play around with more exotic stuff I see on youtube.

My personal experience with anything that relates to craftsmanship is to apprentice yourself to a guru who can show you the ropes. I've never had anyone say no to a sincere request for guidance on something they're good at. Offer to pay for time/materials/beer and you'll likely move up the curve quickly.

The older I get, the more I realize that I should have taken advantage of some old timers when I was young, they could have and would have taught me a great deal.

2. fjwagon

fjwagon

At the age 12 I would help my dad with his projects. He would tell me what settings he wanted. Get tools and the part I hated most was hold stuff while he welded. We did not clamps. Anyhow, I learn when he would go to work. I got pretty good after a lot of practice.

There is a lot of good advice given here. Learn to weld 3 inch beads on scrape metal. Prep your metal. Once you can weld a bead on a flat surface practice doing "vertical" beads....like if welding on wall. Do a lot readingon structure welding. Google welding sites for more info. The last thing I will say is if you like it enough, get a nice220 v. a/c welder.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">

Tags: