Builds Welcome home Matilda - faded like your favorite pair of jeans (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey man! I remember talking about that when you stopped over at my place - it was kind of a hot topic for me right then because I had just hit a trail with @overhanger and the noise was fresh in my mind. I have not opened up the transfer case I took out yet - probably sometime over the next year I will. My guess is that I got lazy about monitoring fluid levels and it toasted a bearing, causing something to get loose and rattle around. If the internal oil seal between the transfer case and transmission is leaking you pretty much have to monitor the situation weekly, and that’s a pain. If yours is leaking I’d get one of those hoses that shares the fluid and start planning some time for the rebuild. Happy to help with that or give pointers.
I put one of those hoses on years ago but it might have been too late. I'm thinking like you, probably a bearing. I'll dive into mine this summer, once I get settled after moving.

I put one of those hoses on years ago but it might have been too late. I'm thinking like you, probably a bearing. I'll dive into mine this summer, once I get settled after moving.
It’s a surprisingly straightforward job, but there were a few nitpicky head scratchers for me. A couple thrust clearances, the orientation of the shift lever linkages, rear bearing preload, etc. My truck is an 82 and the spare transfer case I got is an 83, and there’s a few quirky things about the shaft coming out of the back of the transmission as well. The order of the parts that slide on is a bit different than the later cases. Just let me know when you get started and I’ll pass on the info that was given to me. Last thing: have a press will make life a lot easier. I used a 20 ton Harbor Freight press at least a dozen times during the process. You’re welcome to use mine when the time comes.

Another note about the new Toyota oil pan. The same baffle I notched is bent on the top. The bend on the right side of the vehicle had to be lifted a bit so the dipstick could seat all the way. After I got the oil pan seated to the block I stuck a couple bolts in to hold it and rotated the internals of the motor with the flywheel. Nothing sounded like it was making contact, so I took it off and looked for any marks. All clear.

ABD7B6C0-DAF3-4A20-8032-FD3EDD39E15B.jpeg

Updates:

Sent my lifters to Delta Camshaft in Washington last week. They've got a good core cam they'll grind for me and also resurface my lifters. The guy wanted to verify exactly which cam I needed, so we got that squared away. Sounds like he has an NOS piece for me which is cool.

The machinist also called me and said he's got everything torn down and cleaned and will be magnafluxing and measuring the block this week. Progress!

Power steering gearbox reseal is underway while I wait for news from the machine shop. the steering box on my truck is bleeding all over the place. I got one of the last few seal kits in the world from what I can tell. Rock Auto has a Gates kit but it doesn’t include seals for everything.

Reseal progress here

Seal kit info here

I’ll also be getting new high pressure hoses from Georg at Valley Hybrids. May as well do it right.

Power steering gearbox reseal is underway while I wait for news from the machine shop. the steering box on my truck is bleeding all over the place. I got one of the last few seal kits in the world from what I can tell. Rock Auto has a Gates kit but it doesn’t include seals for everything.

Reseal progress here

Seal kit info here

I’ll also be getting new high pressure hoses from Georg at Valley Hybrids. May as well do it right.
Updates?

Look who logged into Mud! No updates over the weekend - we had lots of family & kiddo stuff going on. I'm hoping the machine shop calls me this week, that way I know what size pistons to order. Steering box job is waiting on some fresh ball bearings to come in. I was missing one. The ones I ordered are sold in packs of 50 so maybe I'll replace all of them, not sure yet. I'll probably go to the shop tonight and work on cleaning up the engine ancillaries - side cover, oil cooler, front cover, etc, etc. I'd like all that to be ready before I get the block back from Gunn.

Steering box rebuild done except for adjusting the top nut.

937E6E91-F4FB-4BB6-8FEC-62AD88B04BA6.jpeg

2B6A9629-2761-414B-961E-4B3E33F90863.jpeg

Fine grained detail can be found in the thread linked above. Now I need a time to install. That’s going to include 2-4 hours of cleaning ATF off the undercarriage - it’s everywhere. I need to pull the lower leaf spring plate and the spring pack center bolt and clean between the springs too. I’ve also got the u-bolt flip plates sitting on the shelf. I did the rears months ago, but have waited on the fronts until I could solve this massive ATF hemorrhaging issue. May as well do it all at once. And while I’m at it, maybe I should finally replace the 10-20 year old shocks on the front. I want to go with the Dobinsons IMS, but because of the shackle reversal I’ll probably have to get a pair that are “off-label”, designed for another application, to get the proper length and compression. At least I can do the rest of the work and leave the old shocks for a minute, new ones are an easy swap whenever.

What a mess. Worse in person.
38EBC2B9-F09C-4CD6-A0E3-654E627CBDF6.jpeg

In engine rebuild news, the machine shop said my block is crack-free, the cylinders need to go 40 over (+1.00mm) and the bearings 10 under (0.25mm). These +1.00 OEM beauties are now inbound to me. No I won’t discuss origin location or price 🤣

75EAA3E3-0298-454F-A446-640D4C529471.jpeg

I also have Toyota rod bearings, Taiho main bearings (OE supplier), and TPR rings (OE supplier) headed my way. Still haven’t heard back from Delta on my cam & lifters after the initial call to discuss specs and give the go-ahead on the work. Just waiting for them to be done and ask for payment at this point. Once the parts are here I can hand them off to the machine shop and they’ll get started with the cutting work and balancing. Then it’s back to me for assembly and install. Still a long way to go but things are rolling now.

Steering box rebuild done except for adjusting the top nut.

View attachment 3614503
View attachment 3614504

Fine grained detail can be found in the thread linked above. Now I need a time to install. That’s going to include 2-4 hours of cleaning ATF off the undercarriage - it’s everywhere. I need to pull the lower leaf spring plate and the spring pack center bolt and clean between the springs too. I’ve also got the u-bolt flip plates sitting on the shelf. I did the rears months ago, but have waited on the fronts until I could solve this massive ATF hemorrhaging issue. May as well do it all at once. And while I’m at it, maybe I should finally replace the 10-20 year old shocks on the front. I want to go with the Dobinsons IMS, but because of the shackle reversal I’ll probably have to get a pair that are “off-label”, designed for another application, to get the proper length and compression. At least I can do the rest of the work and leave the old shocks for a minute, new ones are an easy swap whenever.

What a mess. Worse in person.
View attachment 3614507

In engine rebuild news, the machine shop said my block is crack-free, the cylinders need to go 40 over (+1.00mm) and the bearings 10 under (0.25mm). These +1.00 OEM beauties are now inbound to me. No I won’t discuss origin location or price 🤣

View attachment 3614510

I also have Toyota rod bearings, Taiho main bearings (OE supplier), and TPR rings (OE supplier) headed my way. Still haven’t heard back from Delta on my cam & lifters after the initial call to discuss specs and give the go-ahead on the work. Just waiting for them to be done and ask for payment at this point. Once the parts are here I can hand them off to the machine shop and they’ll get started with the cutting work and balancing. Then it’s back to me for assembly and install. Still a long way to go but things are rolling now.

Pistons are available here in US from Toyota. No need to go to the Middle East.

Pistons are available here in US from Toyota. No need to go to the Middle East.
I appreciate the clarification man, but they're already en route. :confused: Talked to two dealers and both said the stock of +1.00 2F pistons (13105-61011) in the US is less than 6 with no ETA/low confidence on getting more. I think I recall one of them saying standard 94mm size were more plentiful, but the machine shop said I definitely need to go 040/1.00 over on the block I'm working with. The other things I was told were that rod bearings were plentiful, main bearings are disco'd, and rings for my 95mm pistons were at zero stock. I wish you were still in the "check with Onur on parts first" part of your life ... but I bet you're glad that's over haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom