Weird little antenna on the inside of my windshield- what is it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

yep

Threads
'97 LX450

Small black antenna that is stuck to the top, inside of my windshield behind the rear-view mirror (sorry- no picture).

The only markings on it are the letters DEI.

Any ideas what this is for? Looks like of like a cell phone antenna, but I am not sure.

Thanks for you wisdom... :rolleyes:

that's how Mr. T keeps track of you. You have to remove it if you want to use aftermarket parts.

answers to questions

lx450landcruiser said:
My guess is its a remote starter antenna. what shape is it? how long? one wire coming out of it?

The antenna is about 8" long total including the 1" square at the bottom of it (no wise cracks, please). Single wire out of it leading to the driver's-side pillar.

DEI is one of the major after market car alarm manufacturers, so probably for a car alarm/remote start/keyless entry. In fact it sounds exactly like my remote start/keyless entry/alarm that I had on my 80. If you don't have any remotes or anything, you could just trace it back and find out what model you have then do an Internet search, usually the manuals are available on line, and you could order some remotes. It likely goes to a control box under the driver side dash, either near the kick panel or under the steering wheel.

Last edited:
yep said:
The antenna is about 8" long total including the 1" square at the bottom of it (no wise cracks, please). Single wire out of it leading to the driver's-side pillar.

Is the over all antenna triangular? or is it a round shaft? (no jokes)

Well I took the kick plate off and sure enough, it leads back to the Viper alarm control unit :doh:

I am going to have a drink now...

Thanks folks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom