Weekend trip - Southern Tonto NF (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Somebodyelse5

16124-75030
SILVER Star
Threads
Planning a trip this weekend (Fri-Mon) to explore around southern tonto NF. We've spent a lot of time playing in the main areas of Sycamore and Fourpeaks, but would like to explore more and see what we can see. Looking for some suggestions, cool things to check out, or any cool secret spots you may be willing to share.

Details: Fairly built 100 series, 1 dog, Jessie, and myself

Tentative Idea:
1st night - Leave Friday evening, make our way to back side of Saguaro Lake, as close to the dam near the coves as we can get and set up camp.
2nd night - Make our way up and over Fourpeaks and to Roosevelt lake. I hear there is some great ice cream in Punkin Center? Suggestions on where to camp?
3rd night - Take hwy 180 to SR87, then to Sycamore via the four peaks road exit. Find some trails to play on and find a place to camp.

Anyone have anything cool we should check out? Any cool runs? Cool rocks to see? Fun trails? Things to avoid?

Last edited:
If you're going to be out on 188, take A-cross road to Solome creek. It's definitely a summer thing, but I bet it's quite the site with all the run off from this winter. It's an easy hike, 2 or 3 miles. I'm sure if you goog it you can find a ton of info. Far enough out to not have fossil creek style of activity or trash, plus it's way more dangerous. I would recommend keeping the dog close if it likes water.

There's always the old uranium mines / workman creek falls area that's pretty awesome iirc.

I haven't been to either of these in years, so someone may have more up to date info.

Planning a trip this weekend (Fri-Mon) to explore around southern tonto NF. We've spent a lot of time playing in the main areas of Sycamore and Fourpeaks, but would like to explore more and see what we can see. Looking for some suggestions, cool things to check out, or any cool secret spots you may be willing to share.

Details: Fairly built 100 series, 1 dog, myself and Jessie

Tentative Idea:
1st night - Leave Friday evening, make our way to back side of Saguaro Lake, as close to the damn near the coves as we can get and set up camp.
2nd night - Make our way up and over Fourpeaks and to Roosevelt lake. I hear there is some great ice cream in Punkin Center? Suggestions on where to camp?
3rd night - Take hwy 180 to SR87, then to Sycamore via the four peaks road exit. Find some trails to play on and find a place to camp.

Anyone have anything cool we should check out? Any cool runs? Cool rocks to see? Fun trails? Things to avoid?

It might be a trek but you could navigate up to Young, google the best directions but it can be done! That's a long trip, probably better for later but it's an option.

If you like Indian ruins you will find a ton in the Sierra Ancha area on the lower part of FR203 (hiking required). For current conditions and to make sure the trails I noted are on the travel management routes reach out to @-Spike- as he was recently up in the area signing for TRAL. Coon Creek ruin is seldom visited and requires some wheeling and a short hike. I took the club there several year back and it was well received. Off FR203 take FR38 north and right on FR1076. From there its a short hike to the right. Coon Creek on FR203 is a nice place to camp at ~3000'. PM if you are interested in the exact GPS location of the ruins.

A lot of remains of the Salado Indians can be found on the northern banks of Roosevelt Lake PM if it interest you.

Off FR203 take FR38 north and right on FR1076. From there its a short hike to the right.

All these routes are open in current and proposed TM. An alternate is to continue on FR203 east for a half mile past FR38 and take the next left on FR3269 instead, they run parallel, and for whatever reason I marked FR3269 as a better experience in my route notes. You can always take one of the two on the way in and the other on the way out, and compare for yourself. The rest of the instructions are the same, as FR3269 runs into FR1076, at which point you'd turn right. Just a bit over a mile and a half from there you'll find parking off the east side of FR1076, then follow the hiking trail east and southeast around the cliffs. The ruins are about 3 tenths of a mile off of FR1076. Here's an article on the ruins. Be aware his instructions are for hikers, and that TRAL did recently sign the routes in the area, so FR1076 should be marked now unless someone made off with the sign. Also, it may not be a 'passable road' in whatever he drives, but our station wagons didn't have an issue.

Last edited:
All these routes are open in current and proposed TM. An alternate is to continue on FR203 east for a half mile past FR38 and take the next left on FR3269 instead, they run parallel, and for whatever reason I marked FR3269 as a better experience in my route notes. You can always take one of the two on the way in and the other on the way out, and compare for yourself. The rest of the instructions are the same, as FR3269 runs into FR1076, at which point you'd turn right. Just a bit over a mile and a half from there you'll find parking off the east side of FR1076, then follow the hiking trail east and southeast around the cliffs. The ruins are about 3 tenths of a mile off of FR1076. Here's an article on the ruins. Be aware his instructions are for hikers, and that TRAL did recently sign the routes in the area, so FR1076 should be marked now unless someone made off with the sign. Also, it may not be a 'passable road' in whatever he drives, but our station wagons didn't have an issue.

Thanks Spike

To add when I did it I was driving a 95% stock 100.

As noted the trail was recently marked if not or damaged report it.

Thinking of checking this out tomorrow. Sounds like my 200 and a stock Tundra should be able to get back there. Any word on what kind of shape 203 is in overall?

Thinking of checking this out tomorrow. Sounds like my 200 and a stock Tundra should be able to get back there. Any word on what kind of shape 203 is in overall?

We just inspected the area a few weeks ago, no issues.

What a great trip. Despite the heavy pin striping, the ruins were worth it. Thanks to you all for the information. I even took 1076 past the trail for the ruins and tackled the rougher terrain going up the ridge, which was a nice test and a lot of fun.

IMG_0025.jpg

Also made our way out to Parker Point which was pretty cool too.

IMG_2067.jpeg

What a great trip. Despite the heavy pin striping, the ruins were worth it. Thanks to you all for the information. I even took 1076 past the trail for the ruins and tackled the rougher terrain going up the ridge, which was a nice test and a lot of fun.

View attachment 2524537

View attachment 2524542

You made it to the camp spot :) Cool little look out huh? I think that spot could be a great candidate for our "holiday party"

You made it to the camp spot :) Cool little look out huh? I think that spot could be a great candidate for our "holiday party"

That spot is RAD. Pin striping was more than the Tundra could handle but I pushed through. It was a bit too windy up there and since the Tundra stayed at the bottom we camped down at the beginning of 488. Thanks again for the tip.

That spot is RAD. Pin striping was more than the Tundra could handle but I pushed through. It was a bit too windy up there and since the Tundra stayed at the bottom we camped down at the beginning of 488. Thanks again for the tip.

Yeah I was afraid it may have grown in more. that is a bit of the appeal though, keeps everyone else out. If you stick on that trail and go further back, it gets even tighter.... and then the trail just sort of ends. Glad you made it out there though.

View attachment 2524537

View attachment 2524542

Shame I hadn’t seen this sooner, I could have shown you where a nice mine in the area is. That climb past the ruins is a pretty good haul. The view at the top is worth it!

Guess you’ll have to go back at some point?
ABB3C4B6-AC30-4690-B1E6-00A2850EC23D.jpeg
390E18CE-A9EC-4D72-83FB-E3B36F2B551B.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom