Events/Trails Smasher Canyon trip 6/11/23 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Kind of a last minute event. A friend and I are planning to conquer Smasher Canyon on Sunday.
If you've never heard of it, the trail is northeast of Cottonwood. It's been 14 years since the last time I've driven through there. It is a difficult trail. 35's and lockers make it easier. I've put a few dents in my Land Cruisers from that trail.
So far it is just our two vehicles going. If anybody is looking for something to do, here is your invite. We are hoping to be on the trail by 9am. So if you want to meet in Cottonwood before that just let me know.

Kind of a last minute event. A friend and I are planning to conquer Smasher Canyon on Sunday.
If you've never heard of it, the trail is northeast of Cottonwood. It's been 14 years since the last time I've driven through there. It is a difficult trail. 35's and lockers make it easier. I've put a few dents in my Land Cruisers from that trail.
So far it is just our two vehicles going. If anybody is looking for something to do, here is your invite. We are hoping to be on the trail by 9am. So if you want to meet in Cottonwood before that just let me know.
Awesome trail. The only time I ran this one was as passenger in one of two *very* built Rubicons. (sometime during the thing that shall not be mentioned in 2021) I don't shy away from difficult trails, but I'm not sure I would have done this one in my 200. Please pictures. Don't forget chezborger in Jerome. Also, if it's open all the way again, the full view of the valley from the Mingus mountail hanglider launch site.

I’ve enjoyed Smasher in my built WJ, but like my Cruiser too much to abuse it like that. Have a blast!

IMG_20230611_104527839_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230611_105627483.jpg
IMG_20230611_110441143_HDR.jpg

3 of us made it out today. Had a fun time with good weather. We only did the lower half before detouring down to the Verde River.

Yeah, I would have had to bring a utility trailor to carry out all the banged-off bits. Looks like a blast still; thank you post photos!

One more casualty was the left rear lower trailing arm.
IMG_20230614_190244667.jpg

I've had these arms from my '93 sitting in storage for just such an occasion. The early arms are a bit stronger.
IMG_20230614_182745502.jpg
I put the lowers from my '91 on my '93 and kept the straight ones until now. The '91 arms were already "high clearenced" and I wasn't worried about them bending more. The '97 arms don't inspire the same confidence. Measuring them, the '97 was 5 pounds and 34mm. The '93 was 7 lbs and 43mm. The '97 was just a round end with the tube welded onto it. The '93 was a cast end that was inserted into and welded to the tube.

IMG_20230614_185452456_HDR.jpg

Edit: this is a pic of my '93 with the '91 arms that have been though this trail many times.

Note to self; avoid trails with names like "Demolisher", "Totaler" or "Insurance Claim"...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom