Webasto install HDJ81 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

crushers

post ho
Threads
first off, let me explain, i have not performed this before so if someone else knows a better location or way of doing this install please feel free to let me know.

now i had to decide where to locate the Webasto. i looked under the hood and i had 2 spots readily available. one on each side of the engine.
IMG_0939.JPG
IMG_0941.JPG
IMG_0940.JPG

first you need to locate the Webasto in a solid and safe spot. i picked the passenger side for a couple reasons:
1) it allowed easy access to the water lines
2) it allowed easy access to the fuel lines
3) it allowed for easy mounting to the fender.

the mount has to allow for the strut that holds the hood up. it takes up aprox 1" of sapce.
you also have to drill to allow for the exhaust to run through the fender since in this application there is not enough room to run the exhaust down the inside of the fender.
you attach the water line reducers using 3/4 hose and these reduce it down to the 5/8 that Toyota uses stock.
attach the fuel filter and the connectors at this time.
cut the exhaust extention to the proper length but do not install perment yet.
IMG_0942.JPG
IMG_0943.JPG
IMG_0944.JPG

once the Webasto is installed then you need to install the fuel pump and hook up the water lines.
the place i chose seemed to be made just for this unit, the fit was snug but not too tight.
i inserted a "T" for the fuel using brass fittings. 2 X 3/8" hose barbs and a 1/4" barb out the side to the new feul pump. the hose ended up bing aprox 5 1/2" long since i mounted the fuel pump on the lowest point accesable on the lower fender. the fuel then runs around the frotn of the Webasto and down the other side to the inlet. this made for a free flowing line with no chance of pinching.
as you can see the hose were used in such a way to make for a smooth transition of coolant fromt he block outlet for the rear heater to the inlet of the same.
the exhaust is now down through the fender away from all flamable materials.

so that is it. i will not say it was an easy install, it was very time consuming and hopefully this has helped anyone comtimplating installing one into their HDJ81.
cheers and thanks for following along.
IMG_0945.JPG
IMG_0946.JPG

WayneO, what the hell is a webasto????

a webasto is a gas or diesel powered, 24V or 12V self contained water heater.
please read these links:
http://www.rv-coach.com/current_category.306/links_list.html

these are really nice for someone that owns a diesel but can not get to a plug in during the cold snaps...
hikers
winter camping
snowmobiling tow vehicles
skiers
ice climbers
offices with no out door plug ins or ones that do not work all the time

cheers

HZJ60 Guy said:
WayneO, what the hell is a webasto????

Umm... in Seattle you will never need one. Well, unless, um, hell freezes over. ;)

-kevin

what's a webasto going for these days, Wayne?

This particular heater is quite a bit smaller than I imagined that it would be. I thought it looked small in your photos, but the dimensions from the mfr info confirmed it.

-kevin

It's small but gutsy. 17,000 BTU is about 1/2 of a household furnace. It'll heat up your block from a coolant tempurature of -40 to +10 (celcius) in 40 minutes.

PLUS, you start your truck on the first crank in those cold tempuratures, and you get heat from the vents instantly.

Craig.

I've run a Webasto on my Mercedes 300D for about 4 years. If the car has been sitting overnight in 25 degrees below I simply flip the switch and walk out 15 minutes later to a warm engine. It starts better with the Webasto at 25 below than it does without it in the middle of summer. It also has a handy timer for automatic start (the Webasto only) but I've never needed that. I wouldn't do without a Webasto now.

I am waitng for a Cruiser (import) to be ready to be shipped here from B.C. I'll be putting a Webasto on that as well.

Gerry

sounds good to me, a diesel shouldn't really have that much trouble in -25 below weather, if it is tuned up, should it?

if I have any issues this winter this maybe a purchase for next summer

take into consideration that a lower rad hose hearter is $35 and the block heater is $25, if you have access to elec then go with these. the Wabasto is for situations where access to elec is uncertain. on these units i install both.
cheers

I totally agree with Wayne that a rad hose heater or block heater is adequate if you have access to power.

And yes, a diesel SHOULD be able to start fine in -25.

However, given that your diesel is trying to build enough heat through compression to cause the explosion and your block is -25, it often takes many cranks off of a cold battery and without any oiling. This is pretty hard on the engine. Cold starts are a major cause of wear.

The other advantage of a Webasto is the fact that it actually circulates the coolant via a pump instead of using convection. That in conjunction with the 4-5 times the heat output makes it work awesome.

Now, if you live somewhere where winter never gets below -5 or -10 (celcius), I wouldn't bother...it is a lot of money.

I got it because I work a lot of job sites where my truck is unattended and without a plug-in for 10-12 hours at a time in the winter. I winced when I bought it because of he cost, but I would never go back.

It paid for itself when all my co-workers were going out and starting their new gas vehicles every 2-3 hours just to keep them warm, and I left my 20 year old beater with 430,000 kms on it all day, and started it up on the first crank with instant heat.

My two cents,
Craig.

Its funny how people who have no such heater wince when they hear how much they cost. The same people have floor heating in their bathrooms so their feet stay warm when the go to the john. They wouldn't imagine turning the heat in their house down for the day and coming back to a house that they need to warm up. They have no issues, however, with commuting for an hour in a vehicle that is downright fridgelike for the first quarter of their commute with windows that are foggy and icy. At the end of the day the furnace might even pay for itself in reduced engine wear, who knows?

Personally that's all fringe stuff. I have a Webasto so I can sleep in my truck with a light sleeping bag when its 30 below. Fellow club members who are still hardy enough to sleep in tents tell me they have come to loath the sound of a Webasto firing up.

Just listen to the rattle of a diesel at 25 below starting on the glow plugs and then the quiet of starting on the heat of a Webasto. . . block heater or no. Sweet harmony, less metal-to-metal. Do I hear longevity?

lumpy70 said:
I got it because I work a lot of job sites where my truck is unattended and without a plug-in for 10-12 hours at a time in the winter. I winced when I bought it because of he cost, but I would never go back.

It paid for itself when all my co-workers were going out and starting their new gas vehicles every 2-3 hours just to keep them warm, and I left my 20 year old beater with 430,000 kms on it all day, and started it up on the first crank with instant heat.

My two cents,
Craig.

That sound like a thumb your nose at everyone else moment if I ever heard one.

My dad has a proheat in his semi and he just loves it.

-kevin

Technikev said:
That sound like a thumb your nose at everyone else moment if I ever heard one.

My dad has a proheat in his semi and he just loves it.

-kevin

MMM Proheat. That's how this all started. I aquired one ten years ago and ran it in my BJ60. Way too big! Still have it in the shop somewhere. 35000 BTUs heated a ten person hot tub at rubithon '97

Ok...I'm in. I've been pondering a Webasto for a while. Bruce, if you've got another one for sale, P-message me!

Dont let my truck see that this little dealy exists, or she will be expecting it for chirstmas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom