Webasto Heater for Toyota 2.8 Diesel? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been lurking for awhile, and finally making my first post.

I've been considering options for coolant/oil heaters for my LN106 Hilux. Here in Eastern Idaho, winter temps will frequently be below zero, and I plan to run my rig up to ski several times a week.

It looks like some have had success running Webasto Thermo Top heaters on their JDM diesels. Are there any here with experience installing one?

076-EA5-119_Hydronic___30562.png

I have used a Espar coolant heater in the past, same thing basically. Good option. Some smarter than me have figured out how to start theirs by remote start, would love to figure that out sometime. If you do any deep water crossings I would close off the heater outlet and combustion inlet first, don’t know if they like water inside the combustion chamber

Thanks for the reply, good info on water crossings. I haven't checked out Espar, but one of the Thermo Top Evo kits comes with what looks to be a Bluetooth controller:

Screenshot_20230618-102959_Chrome.jpg

Part number 5013920A is the kit I was considering.

If you're going to be near power the electric preheater options are more convenient. I put an electric circulating heater in my ute last winter. It runs on timer for 90 minutes and heats to 60C before I need it on winter mornings.

I would definitely go that route if I had a place to plug in to. During the day I park at work, which is out in the middle of the desert. Winter temps are frequently around -20 degrees F.

Same story up at the various ski resorts I am at on weekends. A diesel powered option like the Webasto is attractive for those types of scenarios.

Same story up at the various ski resorts I am at on weekends. A diesel powered option like the Webasto is attractive for those types of scenarios.

Have had Espar and Webasto in the past…. Go Webasto. The new Evo is nice as it has more mounting options (rotating inlets/outlets on top).
Optimum set-up would be to install the OEM block heater for home and a Webasto for touring and parking lots. Good to have redundancy as well, especially for 12V starters.

For touring, that Webasto is a life saver. Usually takes 15 mins in -20 C - which is how long it takes to put the gear away and make a coffee.

Optimum set-up would be to install the OEM block heater for home and a Webasto for touring and parking lots. Good to have redundancy as well, especially for 12V starters.
Glad to hear someone liked the Evo setup. Any idea where to find a block heater for my 3L diesel? I believe I've seen ones that go in the freeze plug for 1HZ, but not the 3L.

As for your Webasto heaters - did you run a soft line from engine bay back to your fuel cell, or plumb into the hardline somewhere?

Glad to hear someone liked the Evo setup. Any idea where to find a block heater for my 3L diesel? I believe I've seen ones that go in the freeze plug for 1HZ, but not the 3L.

As for your Webasto heaters - did you run a soft line from engine bay back to your fuel cell, or plumb into the hardline somewhere?
Unfortunately no experience with the 3L block heater install. I’ve tried the 12V in-line convection heaters without success. But, the trick would be to plumb one as low as possible I.e. lower rad hose, if you cannot find an OEM block heater.

The 6 cyl (HZ /HDT) block heaters are made in Canada for Toyota - so might want to give a dealer a call. Or, PM Akelia (on here) he may be able to point you in the right direction. Most likely factory installed for the EU market.

Previously plumbed fuel both ways - after filter(tee soft-line) and in-tank - and now prefer in-tank as there’s no risk of introducing air into your main fuel line down the road. Bit of a pain to drop the tank though. If you do run hard-line (Webasto HDPE) to the tank - be sure to always run additive in the winter as that line will freeze when driving without.

Bonus points for pointing exhaust at your oil pan.

Also - worth replacing the plug on any 12V block heater with an illuminated one. Cost $25 up here. That has eff’ed plans more times than I can count.

Cheers

Last edited:
They are expensive but you won't regret it. My Webasto is 10+ years old at this point - if it died tomorrow I would go out and buy a new one. They are expensive but completely worth the money if you live somewhere cold.

I use a Temro Zerostart circulating heater (https://phillipsandtemro.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/LIT0014P_series8000_LR.pdf) for coolant and a pad heater on the trans when I can plug in during winter. A circulating heater will do a better job of warming the engine than a frost plug heater and is universal so you should be able to make it work on pretty much any engine.

Previously plumbed fuel both ways - after filter(tee soft-line) and in-tank - and now prefer in-tank as there’s no risk of introducing air into your main fuel line down the road. Bit of a pain to drop the tank though. If you do run hard-line (Webasto HDPE) to the tank - be sure to always run additive in the winter as that line will freeze when driving without.
Appreciate this info. I am leaning towards running to the tank. I thought about hiding a small aux tank somewhere specifically for the unit. But I think I will drop my tank and put in the 129 Liter ARB upgrade. And then run a hardline to that.

Appreciate this info. I am leaning towards running to the tank. I thought about hiding a small aux tank somewhere specifically for the unit. But I think I will drop my tank and put in the 129 Liter ARB upgrade. And then run a hardline to that.
I did the same on the 80 with a 150 L replacement main tank. You will never regret an extended fuel tank - even, in my case, with the 1” loss in ground clearance. My most used mod.

Remember to plumb the Webasto fuel pump closer to the tank (pusher pump), as detailed in the instructions. Mounted mine to inside frame with the included rubber mount and used the existing fuel line frame clips to secure the Webasto line. If you wrap the line in electrical / gaffer tape - it will clip in securely in one of the empty slots.

The other benefit in plumbing directly to the main is - if you spend enough of time playing in winter - you will eventually want an air top 2000 for camping and you can simply tee into that line down the road.

Last edited:
I did the same on the 80 with a 150 L replacement main tank. You will never regret an extended fuel tank - even, in my case, with the 1” loss in ground clearance. My most used mod.

Remember to plumb the Webasto fuel pump closer to the tank (pusher pump), as detailed in the instructions. Mounted mine to inside frame with the included rubber mount and used the existing fuel line frame clips to secure the Webasto line. If you wrap the line in electrical / gaffer tape - it will clip in securely in one of the empty slots.
Thank you. Great tips. I was also concerned about ground clearance loss from the ARB replacement tank. But at the end of the day, that wimpy 45 Liter tank has got to go. My Hilux should easily go 700 miles on that 129L tank. Even with the Webasto sipping some diesel, I don't think it will matter.

I'm glad I was able to hear from someone whose put one in. I was a little concerned dropping the cash for one without some more info. Based on what you've said, that Webasto will be worth its weight in gold come winter.

Found someone on FB Marketplace selling a used Thermo Top C. It's 12v diesel. Might be a snag? Or safer to buy a new one.View attachment 3353790
that's a good deal I would jump on that in a heartbeat.... not too much can go wrong with these there are repair manuals online to help you diagnose this is the same as the TSL-17

Another option that I did years ago was to put a Cummins grid heater on my intake. Welded a plate on both the intake and on my IC pipe and sandwiched the grid heater between the two. Both my 12V glow plugs and grid heater were on separate momentary switches. Coldest I tested it at was -10 F and it worked great.

If I needed the engine to be warm all the time, one of these diesel power coolant heaters would be slick.

After struggling to get my 3.9L Isuzu fired up the other night at -8 F, I think I need to duplicate this mod for that engine as well.

Adam

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom