Toyota LandCruiser 70 Series 2.8-litre turbo diesel four-cylinder coming, V8 to live on (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So now the dusts settled to a degree and all the content creators have done the loaded/unloaded/tow and drag race tests in outright performance the (even modded) V8 hasn't won one comparison. Longevity is still TBC but I remember when the voodoo over 1HZ timing belts came out, then the voodoo turbos then the voodoo common rail and they were all doomed to fail now we have the voodoo 4 cylinder yawn. Me I couldn't care lees as my 'newest' 4wd is from 1995 and I'm not in the market but I'd go 4cyl any day of the week it seems.

So now the dusts settled to a degree and all the content creators have done the loaded/unloaded/tow and drag race tests in outright performance the (even modded) V8 hasn't won one comparison. Longevity is still TBC but I remember when the voodoo over 1HZ timing belts came out, then the voodoo turbos then the voodoo common rail and they were all doomed to fail now we have the voodoo 4 cylinder yawn. Me I couldn't care lees as my 'newest' 4wd is from 1995 and I'm not in the market but I'd go 4cyl any day of the week it seems.

Any word on fuel useage?

Any word on fuel useage?
Even loaded the 2.8 is still in front its seems they are in the high teens loaded, the 2.8 drops to 12-ish litres per 100 the 4.5 stays the same. 2.8 does sound like a vacuum cleaner in comparison

It's all just click bait rubbish comparisons. It's how these people make their money.

There has not been a like for like with weight, tire size and a tune yet. And they'll continue to string it out to make as many money making click bait videos as they can.

It's all just click bait rubbish comparisons. It's how these people make their money.

There has not been a like for like with weight, tire size and a tune yet. And they'll continue to string it out to make as many money making click bait videos as they can.

The video directly above is a very good comparison. Same weight (they ballasted the ute to match the wagon), same trailer dyno attached, same day same track.

The 4 cylinder stomped the v8. Because more torque (500Nm vs 430Nm) and more gears (6 vs 5) to stay in the right rpm. It also used less fuel because fewer cylinders have less drag and less internal heat loss.

I spent the day today doing light offroading in a 2.8L Hilux 500Nm model and a LC300 TD, both auto. The 2.8L had plenty of poke on the road, everything else about it was unpleasent, lots of NVH, in low range it had virtually no engine braking and the gearing was poor.

Whoops, meant to post that in a different thread.

20240217_160607.jpg

20240217_160619.jpg

Last edited:

I would rather watch Land Cruiser click bait vs all the rest. 😆

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom