Water leaking into PS a-pillar during rain storms (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone run into a scenario where you have a water leak that only happens when your car is parked?

What did you do to correct it? And did you find any rust if you had to pull out the glass?

I've checked the sunroof drains, ran a hose across the windshield / sunroof / roof rack with no luck. I even had a local installer re-sealed an area considered to be the source of the issue.

At this point my next option seems to be re-installing the glass OR replacing the windshield again.
81ghsZUkKV0BIt631Tqv7EGThhf7Bcvkpy3bFfxFKHuXqgV9v3E5Rv5JVocOZL8wwOF-2QqPzzESateZ2cyhnfsydKsgL65G_e1HZlHfRUs35i12SbWpQygtbT4WdWDzMZNoZLLqrLI2FG8vHQimEXJQUlBaQT_D6s_l8bIyi0K4DHHd7t-WkH_tfimNo_yR1qIrRHdApx_6SqtKEbha6Z3ANc3oeFOojjGmYM31xE8G-Y08j1SeK1B3PfSW552hkQHvuFjOlX21Gpoe7vrJ_TwYz86ph1O20Yx6gvksdrpVMvzGqwa7rz9K45wLNoBrEDQf0iZFyNbpDNAWDmINmiucG-X61jFhHD6k0S3hc39PB6XUINbWXO7CxSoTEFnk-MB1akOLM_8-LCbMRFjUnsSmVtmgzhuVXo180f0EVk2G5zUtXnOimqh0_LdwhnE9oyL3mfWoJHLH4UadT-F1ctkl2Q72csJE2sBexO56yST6ipe5B_EDV2xgUgmuSm30j9XdmesZh3Xsxhjm0_TxVZinh8hP4u19aCIUSwNJ_cIbhDurSRK5hApJ8XHkCIcvx3mOFxWoXSmegg1Q6M_UIhSLnSMbI8t0DcisDKlY8IInpofaRN1l=w1164-h1552-no

qdbItgXS1plnn_X4rNfgrs89t5EGGmUKoEW8kaWARuSHo8x1vXBA3szCmv7J2XV3V_0ozDubcD2JMLCFqWKC2XHwApbtSBWKUeXcnKfuhx8Xm-ZBd-2HY0cptVGoAHC4cpWUVWvhBMUqkgBzkBZnC52lNF0WRweumEP2c5k7TRuf_Kvy4M3zZovbL-V3JgYM6YpDYTwM49Ob3ADgLnRJpPVjdZJY-rv6MxJCzlEjH6eX1q5Ul14PlZQ_gKQwX_TdyrtMd5DID4VyGdhzl8Kma2Cw7oPdaLWIk5cqDY-L_cNINOPrkicwCB9cHVMb8ZRvRkmVQgwPvr2q-YuIZGwcCDXm5RkArgS1nouiUqkdwlNKq_tCfXYtI7HzUNSbvhf5fBANlUe_fSMKXaIsRmoSf8fC-gCU473XfvElHUniWdS8qS_EEXZAuHTBePjh7I5hpXTU54lRYsJxPb0dWkzP1b6XkI_px0m7Au6BcP0d0LEQinT3qN0RLCSNspfNyOii3jb6RRdmA1JMg297xZoXu7Cp0ctk4IXaQtQHV6qEqJzSLhaL1nBnYLhZ_4ylr_7iMERXT373sTLfbATK7JKkl7ATM8V6lzXZxjrf4UUNfFrMzJnq7ZsU=w1164-h1552-no

Pull the interior molding and take a look.

Two cause:
1) Holes in A pillar from improper installation of exterior side molding. There is a thin soft plastic strip inside of side molding, covering rivet holes. Pull it out to see if the four rivets are in place. Often installer use screws in newly drilled holes, leaving rivet holes open to air & water.
2) Rust.

Edit: It's also possible the roof rack bolts are leaking.

Beyond pulling the roof rack any suggestions on how to check that? High pressure vs. hose perhaps?

IMG_3587.JPG
IMG_3587.JPG
Has anyone run into a scenario where you have a water leak that only happens when your car is parked?

What did you do to correct it? And did you find any rust if you had to pull out the glass?

I've checked the sunroof drains, ran a hose across the windshield / sunroof / roof rack with no luck. I even had a local installer re-sealed an area considered to be the source of the issue.

At this point my next option seems to be re-installing the glass OR replacing the windshield again.
81ghsZUkKV0BIt631Tqv7EGThhf7Bcvkpy3bFfxFKHuXqgV9v3E5Rv5JVocOZL8wwOF-2QqPzzESateZ2cyhnfsydKsgL65G_e1HZlHfRUs35i12SbWpQygtbT4WdWDzMZNoZLLqrLI2FG8vHQimEXJQUlBaQT_D6s_l8bIyi0K4DHHd7t-WkH_tfimNo_yR1qIrRHdApx_6SqtKEbha6Z3ANc3oeFOojjGmYM31xE8G-Y08j1SeK1B3PfSW552hkQHvuFjOlX21Gpoe7vrJ_TwYz86ph1O20Yx6gvksdrpVMvzGqwa7rz9K45wLNoBrEDQf0iZFyNbpDNAWDmINmiucG-X61jFhHD6k0S3hc39PB6XUINbWXO7CxSoTEFnk-MB1akOLM_8-LCbMRFjUnsSmVtmgzhuVXo180f0EVk2G5zUtXnOimqh0_LdwhnE9oyL3mfWoJHLH4UadT-F1ctkl2Q72csJE2sBexO56yST6ipe5B_EDV2xgUgmuSm30j9XdmesZh3Xsxhjm0_TxVZinh8hP4u19aCIUSwNJ_cIbhDurSRK5hApJ8XHkCIcvx3mOFxWoXSmegg1Q6M_UIhSLnSMbI8t0DcisDKlY8IInpofaRN1l=w1164-h1552-no

qdbItgXS1plnn_X4rNfgrs89t5EGGmUKoEW8kaWARuSHo8x1vXBA3szCmv7J2XV3V_0ozDubcD2JMLCFqWKC2XHwApbtSBWKUeXcnKfuhx8Xm-ZBd-2HY0cptVGoAHC4cpWUVWvhBMUqkgBzkBZnC52lNF0WRweumEP2c5k7TRuf_Kvy4M3zZovbL-V3JgYM6YpDYTwM49Ob3ADgLnRJpPVjdZJY-rv6MxJCzlEjH6eX1q5Ul14PlZQ_gKQwX_TdyrtMd5DID4VyGdhzl8Kma2Cw7oPdaLWIk5cqDY-L_cNINOPrkicwCB9cHVMb8ZRvRkmVQgwPvr2q-YuIZGwcCDXm5RkArgS1nouiUqkdwlNKq_tCfXYtI7HzUNSbvhf5fBANlUe_fSMKXaIsRmoSf8fC-gCU473XfvElHUniWdS8qS_EEXZAuHTBePjh7I5hpXTU54lRYsJxPb0dWkzP1b6XkI_px0m7Au6BcP0d0LEQinT3qN0RLCSNspfNyOii3jb6RRdmA1JMg297xZoXu7Cp0ctk4IXaQtQHV6qEqJzSLhaL1nBnYLhZ_4ylr_7iMERXT373sTLfbATK7JKkl7ATM8V6lzXZxjrf4UUNfFrMzJnq7ZsU=w1164-h1552-no
I am currently handling this same situation. I had my windshield replaced, but they didn't want to put the glass back in because there was a hole from the rust that was under the upper seal. You could not see the issue until the glass was pulled. The water would collect at that spot and go in and down the passenger side pillar. My wife and I removed the glass and prepped the area for a new piece of steel to be welded in tomorrow evening.

Mine does it on the drivers A pillar at the upper junction like the pic a couple posts above. Hopefully it's improperly installed trim and not rust like above!

I would start simple.

Some flowable silicone and tighten up the roof rack bolt ( 40 torx bit) nearest the passenger side A-pillar.

Hose and watch what happens.

I had this happen to me. Check the sunroof seal as well. That ended up being my issue. I replaced it and so far so good!

Other things to check are windshield gasket and clogged drain tubes. Take some compressed air or a long flexible rod and try and clear them out. If you open the sunroof and poke your head up through the opening, you will see the drainage tubes in the front corners.

I would start simple.

Some flowable silicone and tighten up the roof rack bolt ( 40 torx bit) nearest the passenger side A-pillar.

Hose and watch what happens.

When I tried hosing that area this weekend no leaks showed up ... maybe not trying hard enough - thanks for the suggestion

I had this happen to me. Check the sunroof seal as well. That ended up being my issue. I replaced it and so far so good!

Other things to check are windshield gasket and clogged drain tubes. Take some compressed air or a long flexible rod and try and clear them out. If you open the sunroof and poke your head up through the opening, you will see the drainage tubes in the front corners.

Tested the drain tubes in sunroof they didn't seem clogged although water did take a bit to drain thru ... hrrmmmmm.

RE the sunroof seal will try that too.

View attachment 1434054 View attachment 1434054
I am currently handling this same situation. I had my windshield replaced, but they didn't want to put the glass back in because there was a hole from the rust that was under the upper seal. You could not see the issue until the glass was pulled. The water would collect at that spot and go in and down the passenger side pillar. My wife and I removed the glass and prepped the area for a new piece of steel to be welded in tomorrow evening.

Glad you found that before it got worse holy crap - definitely makes me want to re-install the glass almost as a 'just in case'!

Tested the drain tubes in sunroof they didn't seem clogged although water did take a bit to drain thru ... hrrmmmmm.

RE the sunroof seal will try that too.

Sounds good. Mine was leaking in the rear center of the sunroof where the plastic trim meets. When I removed the sunroof to replace the gasket I could tell the old one was compressed and worn out compared to the new one.

Glad you found that before it got worse holy crap - definitely makes me want to re-install the glass almost as a 'just in case'!
Thank you! I am too. I will post up some pics once the gentleman welds in the new piece tonight. I will be cleaning it up more for primer and paint. NAPA mixed my paint code and put it in an aerosol can. It is a 2 stage base / clear. I will post the final shots as well once I am finished.

Update: the cause was a, or the same, leaky upper PS windshield seal spotted earlier. Probably could have just sealed & be done but the potential rust issue drove me to just replace the windshield. I thankfully learned it was only a teeny bit of surface rust on the upper PS similar in position to where TNLX470's likely started. Just did a bit of brushing & priming to correct. Oh yea - confirmed no screws were used so there's another win.

My next project will be fixing the DS molding that's not sitting flush with the A-pillar & causing lots of wind noise.

Always something else ...

Back in business now too. It's not showroom quality, but I have handled the rust and repaired the massive hole. The glass is back in and we have resolved that leak. It's been raining for the past few days and my interior is dry.
IMG_3602.JPG
IMG_3608.JPG
IMG_3612.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom