Warn VR winches? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Alright excellent that doesn't sound too bad at all :)
Thanks a lot guys,
Patrick

VR only for sale in USA & Canada according to the Warn website......inhumane...haha

VR only for sale in USA & Canada according to the Warn website......inhumane...haha

Thought for the rest of the world they will try to make us happy with Tabor line ..

Any more info. on these? Long term testing, etc.?Got one coming from 4wp.

Bought a VR10000 tonight. Should be interesting. I've had nothing but warn winches.

bump... anyone got any reports on VR10000 or VR12000 usage?, there must be a few who've used one for a while by now.

I'm looking at a VR12000 for my heavy HZJ78 tourer (8000lb), just a backup for world travel, I don't (can't afford the risk to) do extreme offroading in my travels, but one concern I have is how it might fare over time with little use and plenty of water... probably an issue for almost any winch i guess.

as I'm shopping I just received some interesting info direct from a Warn dealer. according to them, the VR series and Tabor are "basically the same thing with a different name". They could sell me either but...

what was interesting is the guarantees... firstly if your VR goes belly up when travelling in a latin american country you'll have zero guarantee support, likewise if you travel into Canada/USA with your Latin bought Tabor the guarantee is no longer valid.

Also, compared to the higher end models (and in contrary to some comments I read on this or another post by a Warn guy) both these winches do not have lifetime mechanical and 1-yr electrical guarantee. They only have 60 days electrical and 12-months mechanical guarantee... very different to a lifetime guarantee!

anyone had a VR or Tabor fail on them?

as I'm shopping I just received some interesting info direct from a Warn dealer. according to them, the VR series and Tabor are "basically the same thing with a different name". They could sell me either but...

what was interesting is the guarantees... firstly if your VR goes belly up when travelling in a latin american country you'll have zero guarantee support, likewise if you travel into Canada/USA with your Latin bought Tabor the guarantee is no longer valid.

Also, compared to the higher end models (and in contrary to some comments I read on this or another post by a Warn guy) both these winches do not have lifetime mechanical and 1-yr electrical guarantee. They only have 60 days electrical and 12-months mechanical guarantee... very different to a lifetime guarantee!

anyone had a VR or Tabor fail on them?

Maybe this can provide some clarity.

The VR winches are intended for sale only in the United States and Canada, and therefore their warranties are only honored there. In the U.S., VR has a limited lifetime warranty on mechanical parts and one year mechanical.

Tabor is for a variety of other markets, excluding the U.S. and Canada. Warranties differ depending on countries' warranty regulations and laws.

- Andy

Yeah, I've used my VR10,000 a lot now. Great winch, no complaints.

Only one issue, line speed. I actually use my winch/ get myself in positions where a winch is required. Its especially an issue when using a snatch block. So my next winch will have a faster line speed.

Line speed does two things. Gets you out faster and impacts winch life. The faster you get out, the less use your winch gets, heat it creates.

If you don't use your winch all that much/ just want it for those few occasions. The VR is great. :cheers:

bump... anyone got any reports on VR10000 or VR12000 usage?, there must be a few who've used one for a while by now.

I'm looking at a VR12000 for my heavy HZJ78 tourer (8000lb), just a backup for world travel, I don't (can't afford the risk to) do extreme offroading in my travels, but one concern I have is how it might fare over time with little use and plenty of water... probably an issue for almost any winch i guess.

VR12000 update

Its nice to see a warn rep in a forum like this giving advice on warn winches.
For those who are thinking of buying VR12000, just remember this....
The winch works great, I run a Nissan GQ patrol ( identical in size to a land cruiser 80 series). BUT the winch is NOT sealed !!!
VERY IMPORTANT FACT!

I got this winch via ebay, Imported to Australia for a cost of
$580.00 au (VR winches are not sold here). Very cheap indeed here compared to winch prices in general.
The control box has NO seals at all with gaping holes all around it. What this means is... spend a weekend driving through water or mud and you have to pull the thing apart and clean it OR it will rust very quickly. That guys will cost you heaps to repair and remember ... NO Warranty for that!

As for the winch itself, well its been on my truck for 15 months now. NEVER had to use it to get out of trouble. Just got back from a 10 day trip on the worlds largest sand island (Fraser Island).
I noticed rust on the drum so I took it out and opened it up. It was full of rust. The gearbox had rust in it in several places. The motor side of things had sand :confused: inside it. I can understand water getting in but sand? That too does NOT get fixed under warranty, yes thats right guys, you will pay for that to be fixed, thats how they make their money.

My end result was to get the winch totally sealed, sandblasted the motor housing and totally coated inside. Also had a breather and seals fitted to stop water ingress.
As for the control box, well that is now totally sealed with no chance of water ever getting in. So now i have a great winch that will require minimal to no maintenance.

Anywway, cut a long story short, It cost me $560.00 to get the winch modified and another $80.00 to make the control box. Over all thats still way cheaper than buying a warn winch here in Australia. I am now confident that when I will need to use it, It will work for me.
Remember guys, water ingress is NOT covered by warn !
So if you go through water you have to open the winch up and clean it out to keep the warranty going. How many of you knew that.
Just wanted to clear up warranty so you have a better idea of how things work with winch warranties.

Here in Australia we are making changes as to what we buy. The 1st and most important thing is warranty. We have companies here now who give 5 years warranty on winches (thats both mechanical and electrical) We (the users) are gathering strength thanks to forums and letting them know we have had enough. Its working and we are winning the fight. At this time, warn is in the bottom 20% as far as warranty goes and that is costing them a few sales. The main problem we are seeing across the board here is that companies dont explain the fine print when spending hard earned money. So its up to us to spread the word so that the buyer can decide which winch will give him the best warranty.
To give a winch a 1 year warranty does not say alot about that product considering how often its used in that 12 month period.
If your going to give a 1 year warranty, you should be telling the buyer that the winch is not covered if you go through water...it's simple, then he will decide weather he still buys it or not.

Hmm. How come no reply from the Warn people on this experience...?

Thanks for your messages guys. I must have missed the alert (years ago)

Only one issue, line speed.

Yep, as long as I can outrun a tide I think I'll be right :), will be happy if I never use it

Anywway, cut a long story short, It cost me $560.00 to get the winch modified and another $80.00 to make the control box.

Mate, do you have any photos of what you did to waterproof everything as you mentioned? In the end I got the Tabor, but due to engine problems I haven't installed it yet.

VR12000 update

Its nice to see a warn rep in a forum like this giving advice on warn winches.
For those who are thinking of buying VR12000, just remember this....
The winch works great, I run a Nissan GQ patrol ( identical in size to a land cruiser 80 series). BUT the winch is NOT sealed !!!
VERY IMPORTANT FACT!

I got this winch via ebay, Imported to Australia for a cost of
$580.00 au (VR winches are not sold here). Very cheap indeed here compared to winch prices in general.
The control box has NO seals at all with gaping holes all around it. What this means is... spend a weekend driving through water or mud and you have to pull the thing apart and clean it OR it will rust very quickly. That guys will cost you heaps to repair and remember ... NO Warranty for that!

As for the winch itself, well its been on my truck for 15 months now. NEVER had to use it to get out of trouble. Just got back from a 10 day trip on the worlds largest sand island (Fraser Island).
I noticed rust on the drum so I took it out and opened it up. It was full of rust. The gearbox had rust in it in several places. The motor side of things had sand :confused: inside it. I can understand water getting in but sand? That too does NOT get fixed under warranty, yes thats right guys, you will pay for that to be fixed, thats how they make their money.

My end result was to get the winch totally sealed, sandblasted the motor housing and totally coated inside. Also had a breather and seals fitted to stop water ingress.
As for the control box, well that is now totally sealed with no chance of water ever getting in. So now i have a great winch that will require minimal to no maintenance.

Anywway, cut a long story short, It cost me $560.00 to get the winch modified and another $80.00 to make the control box. Over all thats still way cheaper than buying a warn winch here in Australia. I am now confident that when I will need to use it, It will work for me.
Remember guys, water ingress is NOT covered by warn !
So if you go through water you have to open the winch up and clean it out to keep the warranty going. How many of you knew that.
Just wanted to clear up warranty so you have a better idea of how things work with winch warranties.

Here in Australia we are making changes as to what we buy. The 1st and most important thing is warranty. We have companies here now who give 5 years warranty on winches (thats both mechanical and electrical) We (the users) are gathering strength thanks to forums and letting them know we have had enough. Its working and we are winning the fight. At this time, warn is in the bottom 20% as far as warranty goes and that is costing them a few sales. The main problem we are seeing across the board here is that companies dont explain the fine print when spending hard earned money. So its up to us to spread the word so that the buyer can decide which winch will give him the best warranty.
To give a winch a 1 year warranty does not say alot about that product considering how often its used in that 12 month period.
If your going to give a 1 year warranty, you should be telling the buyer that the winch is not covered if you go through water...it's simple, then he will decide weather he still buys it or not.

Interesting take, as this person only has 1 post.

Why would you import a winch you can't get a warranty on, when you could buy plenty of other winches in AUS that had a warranty, even a used one or a cheaper model?

The WARN VR winches are now made in China. However, these winches are designed, engineered, and tested here in the USA at our facility in Oregon.

The VR winches are not sealed. Our Ultimate Performance winches, however, are sealed. This includes ZEON, 9.5xp, 9.5cti, as well as 16.5ti and PowerPlant.

VR is only available for sale in the U.S. and Canada, too. If you have a VR in Australia, it would be

- Andy

The WARN VR winches are now made in China. However, these winches are designed, engineered, and tested here in the USA at our facility in Oregon.

The VR winches are not sealed. Our Ultimate Performance winches, however, are sealed. This includes ZEON, 9.5xp, 9.5cti, as well as 16.5ti and PowerPlant.

VR is only available for sale in the U.S. and Canada, too. If you have a VR in Australia, it would be

- Andy
That about the VR applies to the Tabor as well right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom