Warn VR winches? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I am in the market for a winch and was about 99.9% sure I was going to get a Warn M12000, about the only thing that would change my mind is if someone came up with a way the Warn Powerplant would fit in my ARB. So just checking out different websites I hop on Warn's and find this: Warn Industries - Jeep, Truck & SUV Winches: VR12000 -Warn VR12000 for $680.00 :eek: That is almost half as much for the M12000?

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with it?

Where did you find that price! i think these are very new (just got the email from WARN about it a few hours ago) so i would be surprised if anyone has any experiance with them but im definately interested!

Are these Chinese made or contain Chinese manufactured parts? They are cost competitive with Chinese made vesions of Superwinch and Mile Marker winches. I noticed that they didn't state where it was manufactured.

Not sure about these, but it was my understanding that some Warn winches were manufactured in Mexico

"WARN was acquired by Dover Resources (now Dover Industrial Products) in October, 2003, and is part of Dover Corporation, a multi-billion dollar, global manufacturer of diversified products. Dover is (DOV) on the New York Stock Exchange. (Dover Corporation)

To comply with the latest automotive industry standard ISO/TS 16949:2002 Warn Industries obtained certification in 2004. In 2005, Warn opened a sales office in the Netherlands, added a Distribution Center in Clackamas, Oregon, a distribution facility in Gahanna, Ohio and expanded its manufacturing capability by opening a production plant in Saltillo, Mexico."

Here's the release Warn sent out:

Warn Industries - The new WARN winches: Starting at $399 after rebate

Hi All:

I read up on these new Warn VR electric winches and it seems like they are aimed at occasional users/new users.

So, I don't think they would be a good choice for a rig that will be winching a lot, but O.K. for emergency use on mainly highway/forest road rigs.

BTW, the VR Series shares the same mounting (bolt) pattern as the usual Warn low-mount electric winches.

Regards,

Alan

Thanks for the info, it might be perfect for me then. I really don't see me using a winch all that much. I don't a ton of trail runs, I will have to do some more research. THANKS! :cheers:

just saw that there is a $80 rebate for warn winches floating around. See Northern tools for example.

Christo mentioned a new entry level line of winches from Warn that are made in China. I would assume these are it. I've been down the Chinese road with a winch (T-Max). Currently need a replacement. Not again. Personally its an item that I don't want to fail on me when I really need it. I'm stepping up to a higher quality unit personally.

If your looking for a decent low cost unit got with the 8000lb Warn and carry a snatch block for times where you may need it. Just my $.02

problem is that it's hard to find out what the quality differences are. Tried to talk to Warn tech staff about their earlier line of less expensive winches (Tabor I think) and couldn't get much out of them to find out what the real differences were. They were cagey about it. Could well be that they were essentially the same thing and they were just charging much more for one line for all I know... Warranty coverage was one difference though IIRC.

It looks to me that the Warn VR winches are rebadged Tabors. I would say that they are in the same line as all the other Off shore winches. In other words GARBAGE ! Sorry let me rephrase that, "For the occassional Pull".

Anyone have expirence with this model.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200471616_200471616?cm_ite=20958&cm_pla=Winches>DC Powered Winches&cm_cat=Google&cm_ven=Aggregates

This is for the Vr10000 winch

It looks to me that the Warn VR winches are rebadged Tabors. I would say that they are in the same line as all the other Off shore winches. In other words GARBAGE ! Sorry let me rephrase that, "For the occassional Pull".

Hi,

Let me clear up a few things.

The WARN VR Series winches are not rebadged Tabors, they're not just rebadged M-series winches, and they're not being bought from a Chinese factory and having WARN logos slapped on 'em.

The WARN VR winches have different motors, geartrains, remotes, and finishes vs. the M-series (the Tabor winches have been discontinued in North America). They're backed by the same limited lifetime warranty that we have on all of our other 12V truck winches, and we test them just like all of our other winches. These are currently on our assembly lines in Oregon.

Yes, some of the parts come from global suppliers, but other parts are also are made in our Oregon plants. In addition, they're all designed, engineered, tested, and assembled in Clackamas, OR.

I hope this clears up some confusion.

- Andy

Hi,

The WARN VR Series winches are not rebadged Tabors, they're not just rebadged M-series winches, and they're not being bought from a Chinese factory and having WARN logos slapped on 'em.

The WARN VR winches have different motors, geartrains, remotes, and finishes vs. the M-series (the Tabor winches have been discontinued in North America). They're backed by the same limited lifetime warranty that we have on all of our other 12V truck winches, and we test them just like all of our other winches. These are currently on our assembly lines in Oregon.

Yes, some of the parts come from global suppliers, but other parts are also are made in our Oregon plants. In addition, they're all designed, engineered, tested, and assembled in Clackamas, OR.

- Andy

Andy- thanks for the response. I am seeing a lot of conflicting reports and speculation on the net about these winches and being in the market for a winch this helps clear up a lot of the confusion. The VR looks like a solid choice for an entry level winch.

Andy- thanks for the response. I am seeing a lot of conflicting reports and speculation on the net about these winches and being in the market for a winch this helps clear up a lot of the confusion. The VR looks like a solid choice for an entry level winch.

Glad it helps, Dan. These truly are solid units. If they weren't, we wouldn't put our name on it. I know it sounds cheesy, but it's true.

Feel free to ask any questions here or via PM. We're here to help.

- Andy

Hi,

- Andy

Thanks for the info Andy! If I didn't already have an M8000 I'd be buying one of these.

Hi,

- Andy

good to have you on the site. Nothing like info from the source.
So, to help folks decide what to get here, can you tell us a bit about how the VR series differ from the regular line in terms of quality, reliability etc? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom