Warn M12k Contactor (Albright) & In Cab controller wiring (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woytovich

Science...
SILVER Star
Threads
I had my solenoid pack all wired up in-cab. I've switched to a Warn Contactor for my M12k and am a bit confused as to how to with it up to my in cab Momentary on - off - Momentary on switch.

Found this on the interwebs and wanted some reassurance that this is correct. Switch provides 12v to BROWN and switches either GREEN or WHITE to ground for In or Out....

Warn-In-cab-Wiring[1] (1).png

Last edited:
On the standard 5-wire Warn controller wiring, I thought green is "in", black is "out", white is 12v power, brown is ground, and red is grounded to the motor. As in the diagram here: Warn Winch Remote 5 Wire Pinout? Help

Is the difference the round 5 wire remote that is used on the solenoid boxes versus the d-shaped plug for the newer contactor boxes?

Could be, I don't know, sorry. Don't have anything new enough to have the D-shaped plug.

From Warn:
Green = IN
White = OUT

So I'm thinking the first diagram and info is correct.

Attachments

• Wiring Large Frame_Contactor.pdf
    239.6 KB · Views: 601
I'll write this up with a little diagram later but for now:
With the Warn (albright) contactor

You will need a DPDT (double pole, double throw) Momentary On - Off - Momentary On switch to mount in the cabin to serve as the in/out controller

Optionally you can mount another switch to control the +12v power the system will need. When this switch is off the actual in/out switch will be disabled. This can be a simple SPST (single pole, single throw) switch On - Off. Hook this to a +12v source. NOTE: if you make this an ignition controlled source the entire system will be disabled when you turn off the key regardless of the state of anything else - some may consider this an additional safety feature.

Connect wires to the 3 spade terminals on the contactor (under the cover) White, Green and Brown
Run these wires to the DPDT switch on your dash. These can be light gauge wires as they only carry signal current for the contactor.

Run a wire from your +12v source to the DPDT switch (Terminal 5), again, light gauge will do. As usual it is good practice to make sure this wire is protected by a fuse.

Run a wire from a convenient ground to the DPDT switch. (Terminal 2)

Wire the switch (diagram to follow) so that in one On position
BROWN wire (Terminal 4) and the +12v (Terminal 5) connect and
WHITE wire (Terminal 1) and the Ground (Terminal 2) connect. This will trigger your winch OUT.

In the other On position
BROWN wire (Terminal 6) and the +12v (Terminal 5) connect and
GREEN wire (Terminal 3) and the Ground (Terminal 2) connect. This will trigger your winch IN.

IMG_20190417_214043574.jpg

Last edited:
I would like to know the maximum current draw on the +12v wire of the trigger circuit (the current that is required going to the middle (brown) of the 3 spade terminals on the contactor.)

Anyone...?

Answer from Albright re: logic circuit current draw (sheds some interesting info on the Albright/Warn connection as well)

"Thank you for providing further images of the 81400 A1 contactor as fitted to your winch.

This product is a 12V DC HO and uses 4.5 Ohm coil resistances that equates to a nominal coil current of 2.67A (per coil). The coil resistance has a tolerance of +/-10%. Therefore the maximum current draw on the coils would be 2.96A. These figures Are based on a temperature of 20°C.

Please note that as this contactor is exclusively manufactured for Warn, should you require further details on this product, you would need to consult with Warn directly."

For reference:
IMG_20190423_090435733.jpg

I want an in cab control as well...Im using the superwinch contactor with 3 pin Warn plug in...looks easy to hook up from superwinch to cab...just 3 wires from DPDT to contactor as far as I know?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom