Warn M12 Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does it bolt right in to the ARB bar? I read where Christo said you have to drill some holes in the fairlead. Anybody know about this? Just picked up an m12 off craigslist. :)

Wifes 12k bolted right up.......one thing its heavy.

yup, the winch bolts right up in the Deluxe bar. Need holes drilled in the fairlead to bolt that one on too, though. May need to measure things carefully to have it end up where you want. Recent thread on the subtleties of where to position the fairlead :).

If you remove/disconnect the solenoid box, it's easier to position the winch. I used plenty of padding to protect the winch when I lifted in. Used straps to lift it and hold it in place.

I too fretted about this and found absolutely nothing under winch install that would help me. So when I did mine I thought that I would take pics and do write up on it. But typical for me I ended up installing it the night before our Rubicon trip and never took any pics.

It really is easy to do just take your time and you will see why there are no write-ups on this, it is a “piece of cake”.

However, it is very ,very heavy, I used a floor jack with blocks and a strap and I had Tree help hold it so that it did not slip out of the strap.

If you saved the “do dads” and parts that came with the ARB for this day like I did you will have the long bolds and nuts that you need if not you will need to buy them and the hardware store. You have to remove the clips that hold the center pins in the warn fairlead set up drop the pins out and attach the fairlead to the front of the ARB using the before mentioned long bolts and nuts. The bolts should run through the front tabs on the ARB and through the rollers instead of the pins that it came with.

Next Drill your hole from the back side of the bumper. The holes are in the bumper already so you are using these as your guide to drill the holes in the Fairlead not the bumper.

Good luck
Sam

Can the Winch, M12000 or 9000 lb be installed with the ARB already on the truck, or does the ARB have to removed before the winch can be installed and then both the ARB and winch installed as one unit?

The reason I ask is that I'd like to get an ARB before I get a winch, but I don't really want to pull the ARB off to install the winch.

Sorry for the hi-jack.

Can the Winch, M12000 or 9000 lb be installed with the ARB already on the truck, or does the ARB have to removed before the winch can be installed and then both the ARB and winch installed as one unit?

The reason I ask is that I'd like to get an ARB before I get a winch, but I don't really want to pull the ARB off to install the winch.

Sorry for the hi-jack.

Yes, the M12000 can be mounted to the ARB bumper while it is on the truck. I'm sure the 9000 could be as well but will probably need some form of spacers for it to fit.

I installed the winch in the ARB when it was on the truck

I bolted mine with it on. I went through from underneath while my wife started the bolts. Then I tightened the bottoms and was able to remove the top bolts to install the fairlead. It's not hard just be careful with all that weight over your toes.

can be done with the ARB installed.
Obviously, easier with it off...

Well its all done...that thing is heavy!
I sliped it in without taking off the bumper.
FWIW I had to get a new fair lead as the existing one was a little bent and one of the rollers wouldn't roll.
I called 4wheel parts and they said the warn fairlead was around $125.00 and the milemarker lead was $65.00. The milemarker did need to be drilled but only to make the existing hole a tad bigger, but it was already in the right place.
If your in the maket for a winch be patient, one might come up on CL or something. I have been checking CL every hour for the past month for an M12, this was the first one I have ever seen. Listed fr $690.00, snatched as soon as I saw it for $575.00. Was used to pull a few cars onto a trailer, from the way it looks the line has never been out more than 30 ft. It worked no problem on my rig....Supper pumped about the find! I was almost about to go get a winch from Costco....

Thanks for the info.

Is the fairlead pushed up against the top of the ARB and into the fairlead shaped piece? That's cool if the MM fairlead has the holes lower, but I've never seen one with them anywhere but right in the center. If it's flush against the mount you should be able to take the two huge long bolts you got with your bumper and replace the pins in the vertical rollers with them.

It's about an 1/8th of an inch from the top of the ARB. I was still able to use the long bolts from ARB on the fairlead. Is it ok that its not touching the top of the fairlead spot?? I think it should be.

The dude at 4wheel parts told me they swap out MM fairleads for the Warn all the time to mount to ARB's. He said no drilling, I just had to make the holes a tiny bit bigger to fit the bolts in that cme with the winch I got.

Here are some picks...Its hard to beleive only 4 bolts hold the winch on. Does it look right? Also the black box doesn't quite fit right, is this common. Does the transmission cooler get hot enoug to mess with the wires going to the battery, as of right now they touch it.

Last edited:
I put the nuts on top of the vertical roller shafts so the thread would not get damaged by rocks and such. I'll admit it looks weird, though.

ATF can get up to 200F+ when one does nasty stuff (like long low speed steep climbs), you decide....

I also put an extra sleeve on the + cable to avoid problems.

Looks great. I had to shoehorn the solenoid box in too, but it's not going anywhere. I wouldn't worry about heat the the wires, but make sure the metal edges of the cooler don't chafe through the wire.

cool!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom