Warn 8274 winch motor question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I picked up an old 8074 winch and rebuilt it. I tested it and it fired up and turned. I then took the motor off and decided to clean it up and paint it. As I was loosening the terminal for the fields in the motor, one of the copper fields in the motor broke where the terminal bolt is attached to the field. I took it to a starter/alternator rebuild place but the guy there said he could get a new field but it woudl run me about 150.00 plus shipping. I can buy a new motor on ebay for that.

He said Warn doesn't sell replacement parts for the motors, only new motors themselves. This seems to be a pretty common motor and it seems like a field would be easy to come by. Anyhow, looking for some recommendations. I know there has to be an easy fix short of motor replacement.

Anybody got any ideas?

flounder said:
I picked up an old 8074 winch and rebuilt it. I tested it and it fired up and turned. I then took the motor off and decided to clean it up and paint it. As I was loosening the terminal for the fields in the motor, one of the copper fields in the motor broke where the terminal bolt is attached to the field. I took it to a starter/alternator rebuild place but the guy there said he could get a new field but it woudl run me about 150.00 plus shipping. I can buy a new motor on ebay for that.

He said Warn doesn't sell replacement parts for the motors, only new motors themselves. This seems to be a pretty common motor and it seems like a field would be easy to come by. Anyhow, looking for some recommendations. I know there has to be an easy fix short of motor replacement.

Anybody got any ideas?

Work through Warn to upgrade to the new motor - a really nice upgrade.

Locally we have a company that will rewind fields and rotors, never had one that small done, but the paper mills around here use them for their 200HP and larger motors.

See if their Bosh built 6.5 motor from the 9500's will fit. It would really be bad ass! :cool:

I run an 8074 as well, and if I understand correctly, I had a similar problem, I reefed down to hard on one of the lugs and sheared it off, so now I cant attach the cables for power, what I did to fix it was get a dremel and cut all remnants of the old lug off, I had an old Ford solenoid sitting around, I cut it open and removed one of the copper lugs, trimmed it up to match the old lug, cut a groove in the bottom and soldered it back together, reassembled everything, it works great:cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom