Warn 8274 Resto (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I started this project 6 or 7 years back and finally finished. I know this song and dance has been done before but thought I'd share in case some of this helps some other poor soul who endeavors to achieve a similar result.

Parts used:

Warn Brake Needle Bearing. Part #8356. $29.17
Warn Motor Bearing. Part #8316. $20.00
Warn 9.5 XP Electric Motor. Part # 68608. $232.44
Warn Electric Motor Pinion Gear. Part # 15879. $26.00
Warn Lower Housing Service Kit. Part #8680. $26.33
Warn Brake Service Kit. Part #8409. $82.16
O-Ring for clutch knob (Viton). 1/4 inch ID x 3/8 OD.
Motion Industries (2 B-68 Needle Bearings for upper housing) (shipping included). OEM part was "torrington Y-68" (See pic). $22.00
Albright Contactor (model DC88P available as part number 3575 from www.howlandtechnology.com). Cost includes $10.96 shipping. $176.21
Superwinch Remote and Plug. Part #2270 kit. $47.12
Warn Hawse Fairlead (works with Wire cable or rope). Part #72850. $48.99
Warn Winch Drum End Cover Plate. Part #7582. $12.00

I ordered the following nuts and bolts online from www.boltdepot.com.

Hardware DescriptionSizeQuantity
Mounting Bolts (To mount the winch to the fairlead and bumper)7/16 x 14 - 1 1/2 Inch Grade 54
Square Nuts (To mount the winch to the fairlead and bumper)7/16 X 144
Mounting Bolts (Socket Head Capscrews to mate upper housing with the lower housing)5/16 X 18 X 1 Inch3
Square Nut (To mate the upper housing with the lower housing)5/16 x 183
Screws to hold shift knob10-24 x 3/84
Motor Bolts (used to hold motor to upper housing)Note: There are (2) bolts included with the new motor listed above
Capscrew (used to hold brake pawl onto lower housing)1/4-20 x 1/2 inch1
Screws to hold drum end cap10-24 x 3/82

I got it home and took apart.
Winch Disassembled 1.jpg

Upper housing was in decent shape.
Winch top housing 2.jpg

Took some parts to a media blaster in Little Rock
Media Blasted 3.jpg

Most do not remove the gear from the top housing. I used a punch and had no trouble. This helped since I didn't want any media to get into the bearings before powder coating. The new bearings were easy to install (see parts description in previous post).
Winch Top Housing Painted 4.jpg

Heres a closeup of the old and new bearings:

Old and New Bearings 5.jpg

The brake was a booger to work with but I got the steel balls to stay in place with a pipe cleaner. This method worked nicely and allowed me to pull the pipe cleaner out once the brake was almost completely pressed together.

Winch Brake Assembly with pipe cleaner 6.jpg

Here is some of the hardware:

Hardware 7.jpg

At this point is was pretty much done with the exception of the electrical. You can see what I intend to use as a fill hole which is a 1/8 npt aluminum plug (will install with loctite to keep it from vibrating out; I used the same part in the very bottom of the lower casing for a drain.

Winch Brake Done 8.jpg

Yea it was just almost done at this point! 9.5 XP motor installed.
Finished Without Contactor 9.jpg

I made my own cables using 2 awg welding cable, 5/16 Tin plated terminal lugs, and marine heat shrink. I cut the welding cable to length and used a hydraulic crimping tool to press the lugs in place. Then used marine heat shrink tube near the ends. Note that you can slightly bend these lugs to accommodate the desired orientation (see pic) and can rotate the lugs in a fashion that will mate up to the post with the least amount of binding..

Winch Battery Cables Done 10.jpg

All done! I had some other totally awesome pics that for some reason i can't find.
All done 11.jpg

I paid $225 for the winch and now all together have about $1,200 in it. It's cool and I'm glad I did it but not going thru that again. One thing to note, if you do this project don't waste your time calling or emailing Warn. They simply don't have time to mess with old junk.

Good job. I particularly like your pipe cleaner trick.

Last edited:
Dug up a couple more pics. This one is good because it shows that not all surfaces get painted.
Powder Painted all parts 15.jpg

You can see I cleaned up the exterior with a flat file and installed the 1/8 npt plug (the brass plug in the pic was in place during painting to keep the hole clean)
Darin Hole 14.jpg

If I find any more I'll post em up.

Woo f'n pig sooeee!

Hello. Just picked up my 8274 today and will be doing a complete rebuild. Thank you for sharing this great information!

Don't go looking at the Aussie guys. They mod these winches like crazy.

I'm getting drain / fill plugs TIG welded in this week along with two extra rear cross braces.

The mod to drill and tap the end of the pinion cam brake shaft will get done this week too. I started a thread as well and will post my progress.

Where did you get all these parts so cheap? For instance the drum end cover plate $12? Your shopping game is way better than mine.

Those prices reflect costs from around 2017 (maybe even before that) and i can imagine they've increased since. Parts were sourced from various ebay sellers, amazon, and one or two websites that i located by googling the part number or name.

That makes more sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom