Wanting to buy M12 x 1.5 thread restorer only! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alia176

SILVER Star
Threads
Is it possible to buy just one thread chasing tap as I don't need a whole set. McMaster carr/Amazon/e bay don't seem to sell individual thread chaser. My set kinda looks like the one in the pic but made in USA and I've had it for a long time.

Let me know if you have ideas!

Thanks.

1588008501136.png
1588008615793.png

Summit racing had several small sets for less than $20 that had the size you are looking for. Otherwise maybe Snap-on or even the manufacturer of your current set might have individual pieces.

You can also make your own with a high grade metric bolt and a grinder. Google "how to make a thread chaser" for more info.

Nick

MSC Direct is where I get all of mine.

I looked there first but didn't find the style the OP shows. Can you link what you found? I'd like to know what MSC has these listed under...

Thanks!
Nick
I haven't shopped there in forever... no link avail

Did you check Snap-On, Proto or Mac Tools websites for part number? Those brands are expensive, but a single chaser might be reasonable. You might even get the same price for high tier without shipping, available locally through dealer/tooltruck?

From what I recall, the red plastic cased Snap-On, Mac, and Sears Craftsman thread chasers were all identical, made by Lang Tools, who sells theirs in a grey case for less money. Same part. Paint your grey case in red if you want...

I think Lang Tools might sell the individual chasers too. A few Snap On tools come from Lang, including adapters for compression testing, perhaps the whole kit?

Shameless plug for Lang Tools, and Lisele Tools too.

can you use a normal tap rather that one of those thread chaser parts.... I know you can get normal taps and dies all the time from various machine shop and tool supply places. or start the hunt on ebay for another set of what you have if you don't want to buy the set new. I presume they sell replacement components (snap-on) but I don't know first hand, on that specific part.

I only use regular taps and dies when repairing threads.
It is very easy to make things worse if great care is not taken getting them started.

It would be easy just to buy the Lang Tools parts you need. The full kit isn't that expensive. You could get the rethreading set as well. They are likely less aggressive than the taps, which sometimes remove metal or plating.

I'm certain you can find individual pieces or kits on Lang's website, or Snap-On, Mac, Proto if you prefer. It's likely a $10 problem you have here.

For about 15 bucks you can get a made in usa set from Lang Tools, 2588 - 6-PC. Metric Thread Restorer Tap Set
1594498934796.png

Last edited:
I was disappointed that mcmaster.com don’t seem to sell individual ones. Normally my go to source.

Are these things different than normal thread cutting taps? new to me.

I see, thanks, but then, among thread cutting taps, there are 3 "normal" types:
1) taper tap (8-10 tapered threads) - probably the one most of us have as a default.
2) plug tap (3-5 tapered threads)
3) bottoming tap (only 1-1.5 tapered threads)
But these "thread restorer" taps look different still, with that long threadless shaft.
Do the threads have more rounded non cutting tips, so they push aside rather than cut?

Snap-On will sell anything individually. They sell a complete set, which I augmented with
a single piece upgrade from local guy.

@Bambusiero I think the thread restorers or chasers are designed to lessen the likelihood of cross threading an existing thread when compared to the cutting taps.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom