Want 2 sell my 92FJ80 & buy a 97 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

offroadkid

GOLD Star
Threads
I want to sell our 92FJ80. It has 208K on it, OME lift, new 33" Bridgestone MT's. Kelly Blue Book says in GOOD contition, I should be able to ask $6975. Should I be able to get more for it, or are people only going to be willing to pay Blue Book price?

in my area (So. Cal) it appears that the used car market is moribund (cuz of rebates and zero financing I imagine), and cars sell for less than KBB wholesale...
E

FWIW, I have found the pricing in Edmunds.com to be more realistic than KBB - in SoCal anyway...

Ed

Good idea :cheers:

A 97 LC is a very nice thing :D

Mike

[quote author=offroadkid link=board=2;threadid=7587;start=msg63487#msg63487 date=1068917555]
I should be able to ask $6975. Should I be able to get more for it
[/quote]

I'd say you would be extremely fortunate to get $6975 for it. Look at autotrader.com for similar listings in your area. Even then, most of those listings will be a little high.

I got down to $6800 on mine an no takers. Sliders, OME Js, 35s, tube bumper front, 172k, well maintained. It was my dad's prior to me owning it. At the time it hadn't been wheeled hardly at all. Finally, I said screw it. We now have 2 80s.

Let us know if you part it out :D

A local used car stealer was recently offering a 92 w/ 185k, very slight rust, no mods, missing glass on the passenger side mirror, broken lower hatch latch, intermittent cruise, and an intermittent check engine light. The engine also felt like crap when I drove it. I ran like hell. :eek:

Last August I found a cherry, old man one-owner, 1993, w/ 95k, from salt-free Texas for $8900. He had put seat covers over the leather seats from the day he bought it. I was prepared to drive to Texas with cash in hand, when I called he had just sold it. :-\

Sorry - meant to tell you the local dealer was asking $6950!

[quote author=MoJ link=board=2;threadid=7587;start=msg64648#msg64648 date=1069171831]
A local used car stealer was recently offering a 92 w/ 185k, very slight rust, no mods, missing glass on the passenger side mirror, broken lower hatch latch, intermittent cruise, and an intermittent check engine light. The engine also felt like crap when I drove it. I ran like hell. :eek:

Last August I found a cherry, old man one-owner, 1993, w/ 95k, from salt-free Texas for $8900. He had put seat covers over the leather seats from the day he bought it. I was prepared to drive to Texas with cash in hand, when I called he had just sold it. :-\

[/quote]

Mine is a 95 with 130K miles, great condition and well maintained. In the SW Missouri area it would sell for around $10K-$11K. For that kind of money I will keep it forever and just fix whatever breaks.

I've bought and sold more cars than I'd like to admit...

Ask what you want for it. Be patient. There's always someone around who will find what they want and pay close to what you're asking, without even looking at what book is. Doing the research is the buyer's due dilligence.

Around here is not a good place to ask values for cruisers if you want to sell. We're all too familiar with the rigs and know exactly what we'd be willing to pay...usually on the very low end!

For instance, if I were to put a FS sign on my 92 now I'd probably stick 11K on it. :eek: No frigin' way would I get that from someone on this site, but to a buyer who likes all the toys, it's in the ball park.

-H-

[quote author=Pitbull link=board=2;threadid=7587;start=msg64659#msg64659 date=1069173660]
Mine is a 95 with 130K miles, great condition and well maintained. In the SW Missouri area it would sell for around $10K-$11K. For that kind of money I will keep it forever and just fix whatever breaks.
[/quote]

Didn't realize there was a fellow SW-Missourian on here. :beer:

Kid,
I totally understand the thought of moving out of the 92. I love mine to much to part with it so I picked up a 88 min truck for my daily driver and reserve the pig for weekends and if the weather is really bad my better half can drive it to work. Now do the miles scare you or do you want the lockers or what is it about you 92 you dont like? think about other solutions as when you buy a used car you inherit its problems you know the issues with your 92 and you know how to solve them. just my .02 and not to say I wont change my mind in a few years but how I feel right now.......
Dave

I second Dave's thoughts. Being in the same boat, I do admit occasional jealousy when riding in BMT's or Skeddy's FZJs for freeway cruising, as the power is nice. Overall, my 92 is as reliable as the sunrise, easy to work on and built just the way I like it...

Of course, with the wife looking at grad school in Boulder...my cruiser budget may go through the roof being close to Mr. Slee. ::)

"Will litigate for sliders...and lifts...and bumpers...and...." ;)

-H-

Oh and one more point for me, complete once a year service including valve set, plugs all fluid changed and cap and rotor takes me about 4.5 hrs on the 3fe. closer to 8 for the valves alone on a fzj.
Dave

Thanks for all the replies everyone!! And thanks Junk, yours always make me laugh!! I think we decided to keep it. It's not the miles that worry me, as I've been told that it should easily go 300K. It's a love/hate thing.

1. I can't stand the squealing belt noise(new belts) I think it's the air pump.
2. My muffler rattles at 2200 rpm, (just need to replace it).
3. The cats are in a bad place, (can't mount sliders).
4. Sunroof rattles unless shade is closed(what's the point?)-adjusted everything I can.
5. Whenever it rains the left bottom of the Cruiser fills up with water(something about the rear sliding windows leaking).

Not big deals, just sometimes makes me wish I could get rid of it for a better one.

This Friday, I'm replacing all the axle seals, gaskets, trunion bearings, hub bearings, re-packing the birfs, and installing new rotors and pads.- The important stuff!! I'm starting at 6am, we'll see how long it takes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom