Wagon Gear Side Panel Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

wngrog

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.seeandeatms.com
I installed my side panels this morning from Wagongear.com.

These units are super slick. They are a perfect fit and it only took me about 1.5 hours start/finish to get them installed.

The coolest thing is that all of the stuff you would normally put in a drawer system fits nicely in the wasted space in the wheel wells.

I removed my excellent condition side panels....kinda sad to see them go. (for sale)

537916426_Cym3h-XL.jpg

537916612_U2g7J-XL.jpg

It nearly took me as long to get these things unpacked as it did to install them. www.wagongear.com packs to the max!

These things are made out of steel with an amazing eye for detail and finish. The doors are some sort of material that is lighter and thicker than steel. I am thinking they are wood, but I don't know for sure. They are finished with some sort of hard coating. Either powder or spray on bed liner. Again, I can't tell. Maybe he will chime in.

537916261_CcZb6-XL.jpg

I started on the driver's side as it is the easiest. All I had to do was remove the panel, then remove the plastic inserts that hold the panels in place.

From there, you simply remove the 2 vertical supports. Either with a sawzall or a cut-off wheel. If you are super anal you can drill out the rivets, but I made sparks instead :smokin:

537916814_D59T8-XL.jpg

wagongear.com suppplies all the hardware. Stainless Steel button heads are pimp.

537917721_TxBmA-XL.jpg

About 5 minutes later it was bolted up. I moved my washer bag to hang on one peg and pushed it to the rear for more storage room in the cavity.

537916955_jJAfL-XL.jpg

The passenger side is a bit harder to deal with because of the fuel evaporator unit that is located on one of the crossmembers.

I picked up some 5/16" and 3/8" fuel line to relocate the evaporator to the back right corner. For the record, you need this much hose:

537917518_FSfky-XL.jpg

Here is what it looked like before I started and with the evaporator removed.

537917090_68jBW-XL.jpg

I extended the lines and mover it to the back out of the way.

537917246_isFVg-XL.jpg

Here it is tucked away in the corner

537917392_dgug2-XL.jpg

And the final product....

537918021_suqgu-XL.jpg

Here is the final product...very clean. These were about $450 shipped. Much less than quality drawers and they don't take up the space and weigh as much as those things do.

He also makes one for the tailgate.

537919406_EDTo3-XL.jpg

I can't say enough about what a quality product this is. Well worth the money.

It looks like after you moved the fuel evaporator that you have a bunch of rubber hose coiled up. What is that for?

And where is your jack and tool bag? You don't have the jack/tool back door and the corresponding bump in the side panel.

60 series doesnt have the jack/bag compartment

You are wrong my friend :D Early 60's don't have the tool bag in the quarter, but later 60s do.

It looks like after you moved the fuel evaporator that you have a bunch of rubber hose coiled up. What is that for?

And where is your jack and tool bag? You don't have the jack/tool back door and the corresponding bump in the side panel.

It under the drivers seat where it should be.:flipoff2:

It under the drivers seat where it should be.:flipoff2:
Uh-huh! That's where my 84's are too!

I keep looking at these wistfully. I just can't bring myself to make a non-reversible mod. I don't know why, I bought the truck with the intent of putting in a V8......

I keep looking at these wistfully. I just can't bring myself to make a non-reversible mod. I don't know why, I bought the truck with the intent of putting in a V8......

I was like that for a while too, then I realized how much I hated the emission system.

What!!!!! That mod is 100% reversible. A couple of welds and the support is back in place. Of all the posters on this board I NEVER thought I would hear that from you.

Dynosoar:zilla:

Meh, speakers? That's too much. If I need rear speakers I will buy an 100 series ;)

Yeah, you can reverse this mod very easily, I am not even sure if you need the vertical supports, but if you drill out the rivets, you can just rivet them back in.

As for the hose, that is just the way they are routed. The vents are all pointing to the front of the vehicle, so the new hose has to bend about 160* to go in the new direction needed to relocate to the corner.

Hey, that looks great Nolan!!! (if I do say so my self. :grinpimp:)
Glad it went well for you.
The door panels are made from marine grade 1/2" HDPE, very stable and strong. The thickness is the same as I use on the tailgates and is a bit excessive for the panels, but I've seen some pretty serious damage to the sides from heavy loads, so thick it is.

Oh, and the side panels are actually a reversible mod, if you take the time to drill out the spot welds on the 4 vertical supports (sorry, no sparks) you can just bolt then back in later on!
EDIT: I see Nolan already answered that...

The tailgate on the other hand.....

I was like that for a while too, then I realized how much I hated the emission system.

What!!!!! That mod is 100% reversible. A couple of welds and the support is back in place. Of all the posters on this board I NEVER thought I would hear that from you.

Dynosoar:zilla:
I have to keep the emissions equipment, so no option on that. I really don't see keeping that stuff as detrimental anyway. The separator and the canister keep the raw fuel smell from happening.

Maybe it's cause I"m just cheep? :D

I do have a thing about trying to think all the way through a mod to anticipate and mitigate all of the collateral effects. That frequently leads to "analysis paralysis".....

is there any backing to these things, or does your stuff just kinda hang out on the inside of the wheel well?

is there any backing to these things, or does your stuff just kinda hang out on the inside of the wheel well?

It hangs out, but if you pack it right, there will be no movement.

I bagged up all the heavy stuff that could possibly dent the fender.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom