Wagon Gear Side Panel Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@kevinmrowland I'm digging this up because I'm giving my 60 a spa treatment.

The evaporator is my question. I saw one post where someone said that it keeps down the raw fuel smell.

Well, mine has had a raw fuel smell ever since I moved the evaporator

I want to remove it completely. Why can't I do this? My 60 is fully desmogged except for this contraption.

Here's my understanding:

1. Evaporator needs to have straight runs down to the tank for it to work properly. If you've got a section of hose that is not a downhill slope to the tank from the evaporator to the tank then you'll get the raw fuel smell.
2. Evaporator also doubles as a way to prevent fuel from coming up from the tank through the vents in event of a rollover or even steep off-camber steep climb scenarios. With a straight vent to your charcoal canister, it is possible that fuel will drain out of your tank from the vent.

I eliminated my evaporator when I installed my side panels and tossed it. I've since went and got a new-to-me evaporator and intend to install it using the relocation guide soon to avoid problem #2, which I've encountered a few times in the past couple of years.

I'm glad you bought this up. My lines have loops in them.

I'll snip some length out and run them direct.

I'm assuming they are in the correct ports.

I'd say my fuel smell got a bit better after swapping the charcoal filter lines but not completely.

I'll do the above and report back.

Love my panels BTW.

Sadly when I was cleaning I used some simple green and wiped some of the paint off the metal edge. Bozo move on my part. Before that they still looked new 7 years later.

Bummer, you have a set that was paint before he switched to powdercoat. My tailgate is paint but my quater panels are powdercoat :D

Please report your results!! I'm hoping that helps with the smell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom