VTcruiser60's Spring Build--Much to do... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

vtcruiser60

SILVER Star
Threads
My goal is to wheel with Rabid, Mike and our boys in early June....so I have some work to do. I figured if I put it out there on the board, I'll publicize my goal and actually accomplish the projects.

Current status:

Mainly a 74 FJ40, 71F motor, 34x9.5 swampers, OME 2.5 lift, 60 series discs, locker....runs great...aside from the bodywork (See picture below). Basically the truck is very solid, but I got lucky on some parts this winter and decided to tear into it for large overhaul.

Here is my to do list:

Drivetrain/mechanical: 4:1 Orion install, new clutch kit, clean up a worn top shift plate on the 4spd tranny, mini-truck power steering install;
Body: minor crack and rust repair on frame, floor board repair near cowl, install alum tub, paint, install metaltech cage; Paint, paint, paint; Assemble hardtop and include in painting; Montero jump seat install for the kids;
Electrical/cooling: minor wiring frayed, install new tail lights, heater rebuild
Accessories: OBA via a York 220

Not mission critical, but the on-board air, power steering could wait until early summer....not that big of a deal for the early June wheeling adventure.

Financing I am fortunate and have a solid job and income, but I have a firm rule about paying for this hobby out of the house checking account(though loans are ok :)). I have had a great deal of luck rebuilding powder coated AISIN hubs and selling them on the board. Here is a link: https://forum.ih8mud.com/sale-parts/246212-aisin-hubs-completely-rebuilt.html I have a huge pile of hubs coming up for sale in the next few weeks.

If you see errors in my ways or other problems to consider, please let me know. This is not my full time job and I am not a pro.

Attached is an original photo of the rig when I bought it from Stan...
Frame.jpg
74fj40.jpg

Last edited:
Frame cracks in the inner box area, as well as rear crossmember gusset plates. All repairable.
Frame cracks.jpg
rear gusset.jpg

Minor mechanical issues like a leaky rear brake cylinder, pinon seals, etc....all on the project list as well.
Brake cylinder.jpg

Looks like you are going to be spending a few nights out in the shop!
Good luck!

Looks like you are going to be spending a few nights out in the shop!
Good luck!

The kids are out by 8pm and my wife soon thereafter. I tell her I have a whole entire life between 8:30 and 11 each night. Sometimes I am not all that productive in the garage...but my time is my time.

The financial engine of my cruiser addiction....
Hub rebuild.jpg

My goal is to wheel with Rabid, Mike and our boys in early June...
BAWHAHAHAHAHAHA! :lol:
Funny guy right there! we all know Dan dosnt wheel.
:flipoff2:

I was going to post the same thing.

:)

I did drive a 40 that I built today...how is yours going?

(ok, it was about 10 feet, but I did it)

:flipoff2:

why use a mini truck set up? i have always used a 60 box or if they wanted a more heavy duty system, an 80 box. a steering box out of an astro van can also be used but it doesn't hold up well to severe punishment. i'll be watching your build. keep up the good work.

I have driven 60 box equipped trucks, (which mine is now), saginaw trucks, and I wheeled my truck (regardless of what wildman says) for over 9 years on a mini truck system. If you are running less than 35's, I think the mini setup is hard to beat. It is a much cheaper solution than the others, and I never had any problems with mine thoughout silly abuse and neglect. The big benefits of the others is the elimination of the steering center arm crap.

My step up to 38's is what prompted my swap, as once you get over the 35" mark, the mini box is inadequate.

Also, the mini box has the best road feel/manners of all of the ones I have driven.

Just my .02

I have to agree with Dan on this. I had the mini truck setup on my rig for years and loved it. never had any problems at all. Now I am running the 60 series stuff just because..... (I needed a project...) This too is a great setup. For the ease of the minitruck box it really is hard to beat.

Oh, and for the record..... I have wheeled with Dan more times than I can count..... well atleast he was wheeling 5 years ago.... I haven't seen his junk (Cruiser) since then.... ( I had to put the disclaimer...I have not seen his "junk" nor do I want to... ) I know we have some sick minds out there:D

My junk has not moved in a while. About the same time I got married.....hmmmm......

My junk has not moved in a while. About the same time I got married.....hmmmm......

Not gonna stay married if your not movin your junk!

Kieran- I'm heading up to VT next week. Definitely staying over Tuesday night and possibly Weds night depending on when I can pick up the 70 in St Albans.

Happy to Mudship any smallish items to and fro. I'm staying at that same hotel up the road. Beer thirty??

Not gonna stay married if your not movin your junk!

Kieran- I'm heading up to VT next week. Definitely staying over Tuesday night and possibly Weds night depending on when I can pick up the 70 in St Albans.

Happy to Mudship any smallish items to and fro. I'm staying at that same hotel up the road. Beer thirty??

Hey...I'll be happy to try and coordinate a pick up of the 70 series from St. Albans this weekend if that can help you. I am going to be on the road to Oklahoma next week, otherwise beers would be great. Send me a PM if you want help with the 70 series.....

I keed I keed.
images.jpg

Wait, people go TO Oklahoma?

John, I am around if you need a hand.

Thanks. The 70 is in customs lockdown now and I'm going to try to grab it a few days early which might not happen. Hoping it does.

rabid- Might need a lift to St. A's if you're in the hood.

Hey...I'll be happy to try and coordinate a pick up of the 70 series from St. Albans this weekend if that can help you. I am going to be on the road to Oklahoma next week, otherwise beers would be great. Send me a PM if you want help with the 70 series.....

PM'd you.

Not much progress this week, aside from plowing ahead with the AISIN hub rebuilds.

I did source a 3 finger clutch kit off ebay. I plan on pulling the tranny and bellhousing off, getting them all cleaned up....Flywheel resurfaced (thanks Rabid) and clutch installed. I will do the rear main seal as well. Hopefully over the next 10 days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom