VSC/TRAC/ABS/BRAKE LIGHT plus loud beeping (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 2004 GX470 with just over 200,000 miles on it. I was driving today when the VSC/TRAC/ABS/BRAKE lights all came on and a loud continuous alarm went off. I was able to drive it for a while with no issues with the breaking. After a few minutes of driving the brakes went hard and stopped working completely. After turning the car back off and on again they started working again but the lights and alarm stayed on. Any idea what the issue may be? And help is appreciated. Thank you

Brake booster problems. When putting the key in the ON position, check for buzzer sound at booster, if no sounds, booster motor died.

Brake booster problems. When putting the key in the ON position, check for buzzer sound at booster, if no sounds, booster motor died.
Correct. The GX booster is very similar to the 100 series booster (actually nearly identical). The 100s have had a long history and even a thread on master cylinder death in the 100 series forum. I have had it happen to me twice. Once in a 100 and once in my GX.

The OP experience is exactly what happens when the cylinder dies. Usually you hear a "motor working" a lot more for a while then you loose boost and the lights come on and it screams at you and then....you lose your brakes.

SO, Go over to the 100 forum. There is a guy there named Andy Le you will want to meet. He sells parts and rebuilds master cylinders. He will work on GX as well. You can pull it and send it or buy parts and try to repair it. If you try to repair it make sure you remove the MC from the truck and check the normal signs of badness, which are:

- The wire going to the motor almost always has corrosion and is likely bad
- Check the accumulator for signs of leaking (wetness from water/fluid getting out, not common). Won't really hear anything but maybe a hiss with key on no start
- Check the motor itself for general look and corrosion. Listen for it to run when you go to key on without starting
- Check the actuator (the black box on the side) to see if it is clicking a lot when you go to key on without starting

I opted to not try and rebuild mine [04 V8 Runner) and just bought a new assembly from Mr Toyota for about $1200.
It’s a 1 banana job if you replace the complete unit and can be swapped in about an hour including bleeding the brakes.
Its more cash upfront to replace rather than rebuild but I figure that the master had 200k on it also so I decided to save significant time and effort and just swap the whole thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom