Vortec (LS) alternator and charge light help (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I’ve searched and tried the fixes that I’ve found posted so now coming for help and clarification.

82 FJ60 getting a 99 LM7. Alt is a cs144 4 pin connector but the stock harness has a single brown wire to the L terminal.

Bear in mind that I think my stock alt wiring was jacked!

Yellow from alt plug (turned to white, supposed to be y-w?) I hooked to the S terminal. The b-y wire from the alt was hacked up but I think I found it. It has continuity with the b-y on the charge light relay. I spliced it into the brown wire on the cs144 plug. Running, it’s getting 15v, nothing at the s terminal and the charge light stays on. What am I doing wrong?

Maybe someone can explain this circuit to me?

Also, I swapped in an fj62 combo gauge, everything should still work correctly, right?

Anybody got a better wiring diagram than the Haynes manual?

Not sure if this helps, here’s how I hooked up my stock FJ60 wires. I was using a DR44G, so you’ll have to adjust for your inputs ...

3BE83615-3B31-4214-B19D-E8EA984153BA.jpeg

Post #882

I think there are some links to CS144 alternators in there if this info isn’t enough.

I'd have to go back and dig out the FSM diagram to figure out exactly why I did it this way but on mine I have the yellow wire spliced into the brown wire on the L terminal. I don't have any other wires connected in the 4-pin plug. The main charge wire goes to the battery and the factory power distribution is powered at the + terminal through the normal fusible link setup.

Charge light works fine, 14.4 at the battery when running.

I'd have to go back and dig out the FSM diagram to figure out exactly why I did it this way but on mine I have the yellow wire spliced into the brown wire on the L terminal. I don't have any other wires connected in the 4-pin plug. The main charge wire goes to the battery and the factory power distribution is powered at the + terminal through the normal fusible link setup.

Charge light works fine, 14.4 at the battery when running.

You can see why I asked for help, so many folks doing different things.
I’ll give this a whirl first since you had a single wire Chevy alt? What did you do with the b-y wire from the fj60 alt?

Btw, thank you both!

I have the same motor (LM7) in my 87. I can check it if you need when I get it back from paint in a week or so.

So a small update, I’m not done troubleshooting yet but for posterity here is some info:

Though the plug on the back of combo gauge is the same; my 82 FJ60 cluster and the 89 FJ62 cluster are wired differently, in particular the charge light and high beam indicator are not correct. I hit the high beam switch and the charge light went out

Anyway, swap the gauges back and I have no charge light at all

The truck has other wiring issues as the yellow wire off the L lead is spliced into some unknown white wire ~12 gauge, that does not have continuity with the charge light relay.

Everything worked as advertised before the swap, I just don’t know why!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom