Vinyl vs Carpet? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Currently STILL have my carpet out of my 97'. Considering going vinyl. Just wanted to hear some feedback from mud users that have gone vinyl.

I've come to accept I only really drive my rig on camping/shooting trips, it's not my DD. Mostly deserts, since that is terrain that Im closest too. Also when I was working abroad in Uganda, I noticed all of the cruisers were vinyl clad.

So, it seems like a no brainer to go vinyl for ease of cleaning. Any input from owners of vinyl flooring would be greatly appreciated.

I hope Reeveci, get's the new generation kits in soon. Also open to exploring other vendors as well!

Go Vinyl you will be happy, I want to swap my carpet out to vinyl

I just finished Herculing my interior,. Have Weather tech on the way
KIMG0348.JPG

Anyone have any pictures of a vinyl flooring in an 80? I'm curious now.

Don't have vinyl in my cruiser but I had it in my DD pickup a while ago and my work truck now. I love vinyl floors in anything that will get dirty or see spills as it is so easy to keep looking good. Only issue I had in the pickup is the area under you foot tends to wear pretty quick, easy to prevent with some floor mats.

Assuming proper padding and sound-deadening was applied underneath, I've got no problem with vinyl. That's how Landcrusiers came new back in the day. They also cost $6200 new (the one in the avatar). Our 80 cost $7200 (used), so I'm guessing the carpet set me back an extra $1,000.:barefoot: It's nice carpet, but...

Only problem with vinyl is it holds in moisture. Undetected water leaks (i.e. from windshield, clogged sunroof drain), will rust out the floorboards.

Only problem with vinyl is it holds in moisture. Undetected water leaks (i.e. from windshield, clogged sunroof drain), will rust out the floorboards.

Fawk, it's Cruiser and ALL are gonna rot straight through the floorboards.

I kinda think it was a proactive measure by Mr T, in preparation for post apocalyptic times when man returns to Fred Flinstone type propulsion.

I do believe Trail Taylor a.k.a. @reevesci , is importing and selling vinyl floors for the 80. @LS1FJ40 has a set in his rig.

I do believe Trail Taylor a.k.a. @reevesci , is importing and selling vinyl floors for the 80. @LS1FJ40 has a set in his rig.

True. I believe the new stuff he is importing has more of a molded pattern.

I love my vinyl. Only complaint is that it's a bit of a bear to install when cool out. The molded pattern solves this.

I have Vinyl in my FJCruiser and wish I didn't. Dirt and water move around more on the vinyl and the whole thing gets dirty quickly. For folks in the North, where it snows, this usually means you have a build-up of salt-water and when it evaporates, just salt crust.
My next purchase for that truck is a set of weathertech mats. Of course, with good mats, you might as well have carpet. In my experience, I found it much easier to clean the carpet to an acceptable level than it has been with vinyl.
Just my $0.02

I have Vinyl in my FJCruiser and wish I didn't. Dirt and water move around more on the vinyl and the whole thing gets dirty quickly. For folks in the North, where it snows, this usually means you have a build-up of salt-water and when it evaporates, just salt crust.
My next purchase for that truck is a set of weathertech mats. Of course, with good mats, you might as well have carpet. In my experience, I found it much easier to clean the carpet to an acceptable level than it has been with vinyl.
Just my $0.02
These same thoughts have crossed my mind. And if water gets under the vinyl, it may be a long time evaporating. I was all about vynil a few months ago but now I'm not so sure.

Last edited:
Just my $0.02

Keep in mind that all the grime is still there, it's just easier to hide in the carpet. A good set of mats works well as a compromise and there are many more choices in those now than in the past.

These same thoughts have crossed my mind. And if water gets under the vynil, it may be a long time evaporating. I was all about vynil a few months ago but now I'm not so sure.

Yeah, I was all about the vinyl floor until the first spring when I had to clean it and found what a pain it was and how poorly executed the design was. Sure, some of the issue is from the FJC design, but really, I've had enough of the vinyl and would rather have carpet and good floor-mats at this point. I've also seen comments on this forum from folks in the Middle-East and Africa that believe it is better to have carpet mats on a vinyl floor because the carpet fiber prevents the sand from migrating around the cabin.

one thing to consider, the husky mats I have really do a great job of keeping any spills contained. The 2nd row mat is basically a big cup. Last trip my daughter spilled her whole slurpy and it contained it nicely. The front mats work well too. I removed the carpet and power washed it. I was surprised how clean it came out. Not sure though if the husky mats are still available.

I have weathertech mats up front on my vinyl.

I suppose there is some truth to water and dirt sliding around on the vinyl but I haven't experienced that.

What I have experienced is no trapped dirt. No mustiness. My son and I have really bad allergies. We don't have carpet in our house (all hardwood and slate) for a reason. Made sense to do the same in the car.

Will be ordering vinyl for his 80 when he finally gets his license...

The FJC is one of the worst designs Mr T has ever come out with. A poor attempt, IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom